Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We are almost at a similar stage with our 13 year old golden retriever. I did carry our last retriever down the stairs for the last few months of his life. I've had a hard time admitting when it is time so this time I set the time as when she can no longer get up and down the few stairs from the front door. The problem with the lingering dogs is that each day it is easy to say "one more day/week/etc". It sounds like it is time. I wish you the best with your decision.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
There's a huge grey zone on when to put an animal down, but they will enter a red zone, where there's no doubt. Only the owner will know this, and we each have our own red zones where we will not allow our beloved pet to suffer.
Our dog developed cancer and we faced the "when" question for several weeks.
Our vet had told us that when it is time you will know. He was quite right.
Knowing that the end could come quickly we had scouted a 24hr vet clinic and had been assured they would be there for us at any time. Our time was New Years Day.
The facility was very nice and the staff even nicer. They took our dog in to be prepped while we waited in a small private room. A few minutes later they wheeled her in on a gurney. She had a catheter in her leg and had been given some pretty potent pain meds. The tech told us we could stay as long as we wanted. When the time came the drugs were administered and she peacefully passed in our arms. I could not have been more grateful to the folks at that clinic.
It's difficult for me to tell this story, but my point is to emphasize how prior planning can take some of the sting out of this highly unpleasant experience.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Our dog developed cancer and we faced the "when" question for several weeks.
Our vet had told us that when it is time you will know. He was quite right.
Knowing that the end could come quickly we had scouted a 24hr vet clinic and had been assured they would be there for us at any time. Our time was New Years Day.
The facility was very nice and the staff even nicer. They took our dog in to be prepped while we waited in a small private room. A few minutes later they wheeled her in on a gurney. She had a catheter in her leg and had been given some pretty potent pain meds. The tech told us we could stay as long as we wanted. When the time came the drugs were administered and she peacefully passed in our arms. I could not have been more grateful to the folks at that clinic.
It's difficult for me to tell this story, but my point is to emphasize how prior planning can take some of the sting out of this highly unpleasant experience.
Patrick,

Very sorry for your loss. Dang it, i'm crying just typing this as our dog passed under very similar conditions about 3 years ago. My wife and I are thankful we had a special beach walk with our beloved Nicky the day before we had to put her down. We had no idea she had liver tumor that would bleed out throughout the night. The next day she was not her normal chipper girl, and obvious something serious had happened. After Multiple x-rays, and the doctor talkn about major surgury, and chemo, the only humane conclusion we could make was to put her down.

Our furry friends love us unconditionally, and we are lucky to have them in our lives.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #24

Oh daydreamer, we have much in common. And especially about the red zone. Never easy and is different every time.
A vet eval would be appropriate for the OP to get a better sense of what is possible and reasonable for your good old dog.
Most of our pets have been euthanized in our home, with comfort and peace.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote