Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

My "exit interview" I request HR to be there
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My "exit interview" I request HR to be there

In my company, every retiree gets an exit interview. I have had a great career working in production. For almost three decades I have been a valued productive employee. I was not a problem employee. I never abused sick time or was a problematic employee.

Two years ago my father (over 80) became sick. He lost one kidney, then the second kidney became diseased and he had an operation on a tumour on his remaining kidney. Half of the kidney was removed. He was on dialysis for months..but now, surprisingly for his doctors and everyone else..he is off dialysis and managing his blood creatine with diet. The man is tough!

At the time my father had his health crisis (I am the only child that lives close, my sister lives in another province) I asked to be put on 12 hour shifts, to accommodate the many trips to the hospital (three hours away from our rural home).

This was not an unreasonable request. I work in production and we work 24/7 my "day job" was considered a perk. For a person to request transfer from the day job (that only high seniority people hold) to shift should have been an easy.

Thing is-- I worked for a well managed production team, but when the former boss retired, it went to shambles. I was very vocal (being over 50 and saying what I want) and I made the point how previous management was successful, but the same team under new management was failing drastically. This, of course, did not win me favour with the new manager. And , in fact, the company recognized his ineptitude and moved him to a different role.

My bad luck, he was moved to manage production resources ie transfers. When he saw my request to move to 12 hour shifts he summarily denied it. I then asked for a two month sabbatical to support my father in his health crisis. His doctors thought he would die soon.

I had a meeting with HR with my request for either a sabbatical or a move to 12 hr shifts to accomodate my family situation.

The HR representative denied my request and chastised me for asking for special treatment. He spoke loudly like a bully. I suppose I was asking for special treatment. But in HR "speak" it is called accomodation. He did not ask me about my specific situation ..he had his mind made up. And it was obvious the manager who I offended by being vocal about how the team had failed under his mismanagement, was able to extract his vendetta against me from Human Resources.

I finally got transferred. I have worked the 12 hour rotating shifts for the last two year. My father has recovered. My new boss respects and appreciates me as a good employee who has experience and maturity.

And now I will soon retire.

But I am going to ask the same HR person who treated me like dog **** on his shoe to be at my exit interview.

Because it was not fair. How I was treated.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was once in a similar situation and used Compassionate Care Leave. The money was irrelevant; what mattered was the acknowledgement that being there for my mother was important.

Once again I am grateful to live in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...nate-care.html
Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Eh, there are so many ways to get revenge. The shrimp in the curtain rod trick. Leaving a "special surprise" on someone's desk. Drop a guppy in the radiator and every time the heat comes up they will remember you. And so on.

What are you hoping to do or say in the exit interview? These things are usually pro forma and check the box.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer
What I want from the exit interview is to hold HR accountable, so what happened to me does not happen to someone else.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Brewer
What I want from the exit interview is to hold HR accountable, so what happened to me does not happen to someone else.

Wishful thinking.... but if it makes you feel better.... because nobody else will care... (well, the HR might get pissed and do whatever he can to cause problems with your retirement.... you know, lost paperwork or not checking a box that is needed....)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are in a position where you 100% KNOW you can burn the bridge, I say light that flamethrower.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brewer
I am not sure how that is possible. HR usually cnducts these interviews and they generally do not care what you say.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rather than expend time and effort on what will almost surely be a wasted and frustrating endeavor, move on with your life and trust karma to even the score. Life is short...
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband's exit interview was with his immediate supervisor from the production team (we worked at the same place). There was no HR representative present. I am going to formally ask not only my immediate supervisor, but the Vice President of Production...and two HR people ..the guy who treated me like dog s**t on his shoe...and his boss..the vice president of HR.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Good luck with that. Exit interviews are invariably an exercise in going through the motions. Frankly, no one will particularly care about a bitter and soon-to-be-ex employee's complaints: especially regarding an issue that happened over two years ago.

If I were in your shoes, I would listen to REWahoo's advice. Why spend life looking in a rear view mirror? Instead, focus on the good things, e.g. your father's unexpected recovery and the fact that your current boss appreciates you.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not going unprepared for the interview. In fact, I am so profoundly disappointed about how I was treated by HR, I have educated myself. I am going to this seminar. It is expensive, but when I look back..HR treated me so badly I wanted to quit (my husband, thank God, talked me out of it).
It has been over two years since this happened..Yet I am still dismayed and angry.
So I am going to this seminar...Yes it is expensive..but I will be SO prepared for my exit interview with HR and my production team members..who, in my opinion are not being given professional support from our HR organization https://www.hrpa.ca/pages/hrpa-meeti...m_medium=email
Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Make your exit interview a 30 second meeting. " Adios! It's been nice and have a good life."

At this point, they don't care what you think. No retirement party, no Seiko watch, no nothing. That's the way current business is.

At my MegaCorp, an exit interview consists of two big outside security guards showing up at your desk giving you a box and five minutes to pack your things. And don't you dare take any "company pencils." Fortunately, I was 300 miles from home in a company car and told tomorrow was my last day.

It was the best thing to happen to me--and all the other 55+ workers--to be ushered out this way. They paid a big price to send us to the house too.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Milton/ReWahoo
I believe you give good advice. There is a part of me ...a BIG part of me..that wants to just ride off into the sunset.
But where does that leave the workers like me I leave behind...I have a unique position..I can SAY THE TRUTH...without worrying about ramifications..because I will retire.
Part of me..yes I dearly want..to just let it go. However...this HR person did not help me..did NOT help the production team (that makes the $$$) he did not act professionally.

After the interview I will be registering a complaint against the HR "professional" who treated me badly...Yes I could just forget about it and retire..But what about the others that turn to HR for help and are treated badly? I have to do something....Or it will happen to someone else. https://www.hrpa.ca/professional-reg...onal-complaint
Old 01-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

"If you seek revenge, first dig 2 graves"

Forgetaboutit
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thing is-- I worked for a well managed production team, but when the former boss retired, it went to shambles. I was very vocal (being over 50 and saying what I want) and I made the point how previous management was successful, but the same team under new management was failing drastically. This, of course, did not win me favour with the new manager. And , in fact, the company recognized his ineptitude and moved him to a different role.
Sounds like you burned a bridge that you then tried to walk over?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

RobbieB
I think you give good advice..But this is bigger than just me and HR. It is about accountability. If I forgetaboutit it will happen to someone else. I have to do this. For the workers that come behind.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

clobber
I definitely burned a bridge with the incompetent manager. Thing is for over 2 years I have been a valued employee with production since I finally got the transfer I needed. The incompetent manager?...he was removed totally from production and now works in "training" where he cannot screw up the bottom line.
Since I have good relations with my new production team..I am pushing for accountability with HR..because they failed our team..the production team..the team that makes the money.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
clobber
I definitely burned a bridge with the incompetent manager. Thing is for over 2 years I have been a valued employee with production since I finally got the transfer I needed. The incompetent manager?...he was removed totally from production and now works in "training" where he cannot screw up the bottom line.
Since I have good relations with my new production team..I am pushing for accountability with HR..because they failed our team..the production team..the team that makes the money.
Everything in work and life is about relationships. Even if I accept your position that this particular situation was 100% the bad managers fault, it sounds like you did learn there were things you could have done to prevent the pain you experienced. However, it does not sound like you are willing to apply what you learned?

More specifically, my interpretation is that you wish to attack this person some more. This could come back to haunt you in ways you cant currently imagine? Just like you did not imagine it would haunt you in the previous situation.

Time to leave it alone?

@RobbieB provided a good quote above.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I suggest you make that point to an executive in operations, managers above HR who keep tabs of the bottom line. Structure your meeting from the standpoint of profitability. Talk like an Executive.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

clobber
glad to get the HR perspective from you. Yup the HR guy clobbered me. I was not prepared. I thought (naively) he would listen to my situation before saying NO....I was not prepared for the bully boy HR person. It was only AFTER the experience I learned from the https://www.hrpa.ca/ Human Resources Professionals Association...that I understood the HRPA mandate regarding Accomodation. I joined the association and paid the fee. Now I know the professional standard. Which the HR person I delt with disregarded.
Closed Thread