Join Early Retirement Today
my father is in the cardiac care unit
Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
my father is in the cardiac care unit

Well, I've been away from the forum for a week due to my father becoming critically ill. He is more stable now, but he still hasn't been transferred to a regular floor room.

It's been a rough week. After finding out he was life flighted to the hospital, I flew 900 miles to be with him and support family, etc. Every day I drove my stepmother 1 1/2 hours to the hospital, spent all day there, and then did the drive home again. I came back only b/c I can't expect work to tolerate me being gone indefinitely. Sure do wish we were FIRED already. It sure is tough being away from family during times like this.

He has so many things going on! First, they say his iron levels dropped extremely low (5.0, I think). He's been anemic a long time, and we couldn't get him to switch doctors so that we could get to the bottom of what was causing the anemia. On top of all this his blood was WAY too thin (he was on Coumadin, was "adjusting" the medicine himself, and was reluctant to go for the regular testing you are supposed to have). They assume he was bleeding out internally somewhere but haven't been able to do any gastrointestinal tests yet due to his pulmonary status (risk of having to be put on a ventilator).

He's been diagnosed with a heart attack, pulmonary hypertension, and developed heart failure after all the transfusions. He's still having a lot of trouble breathing (has to be on 10 liters of oxygen or Bipap), but it is getting better slowly. It's been so tough seeing him with all those IV's, etc. However, he definitely looks better every day and is now talking up a storm and back to joking with everyone. It's amazing what today's medicine can do. He's not out of the woods yet, but we certainly are hopeful that he has turned the corner!

Anyways, just a little note to explain why I haven't been around and also make up a good excuse (to the Wednesday weigh-in crowd) for however much weight I've gained via stress eating this past week!

simple girl
less stuff, more time

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Best wishes to you and your family in a trying time like this.

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Simple Girl,
Sorry to hear about your father's poor health. Living far away from family at times like this is very difficult. I went through a similar issue with my father (several times). He had coronary bypasses three times about 10 years apart and ended up with a pacemaker. He did very well in between operations and mowed his own grass (on a steep hillside), walked 3 miles a day and volunteered at a local hospital 3 days a week. He lived 30 years beyond what the doctors said he should have based on the condition of his heart after his first major attack. Modern medicine and surgical intervention made the difference. And that was almost 40 years ago.

The drugs and techniques today are light years ahead of what they were a few decades ago and is getting better each year. Early detection and early intervention make a huge difference in outcomes.

I wish you and your family good luck and a speedy recovery to your father. He has a long road ahead of him but it sounds like he is getting there one step at a time.
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Do not forget to take care of you during this stressful time and hope your Dad gets better !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...
Hang in there. Take good care of yourself.
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Best wishes for you and your family. We had a similar, though not nearly as serious, event several months ago.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...
Good luck to you and your dad. My heart goes out to both of you.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...
Best of luck! It's tough when your father is close by and sick much less many miles away.

Full time wuss............
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote