Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
DH asked dad for my hand (old fashioned) and dad said no. DH said, "so I guess that means you won't be coming to the wedding?" Dad never questioned my judgment again, after that. And they did come to the wedding.
That is such a great story, and a fantastic way to start a relationship. That why you had a knife in your wedding dress?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heck, my Dad is 65, Mom is 62, stepdad is 59, I'm 41, and they STILL don't treat me like an adult most of the time! And that's one reason why I tend to limit the time I spend with them.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #23
Administrator

This thread reminds me of a magazine story a few years ago on aging. They interviewed 5 sisters in their 90's, and IIRC the oldest might have been 100. The youngest complained she was 90 years old but her older sister still told her what to do...
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am tempted to post my situation, but it would be a long post and noone would read it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am tempted to post my situation, but it would be a long post and noone would read it.........
Yes, I'll read it, I promise. Maybe that will provide some sort of clue as to why you treat me the way you do.

I've been lurking for a long, long time and decided to join so I could defend myself from these unending attacks on my character.

Mister Dude, I don't know what I may have done in the past to offend you and cause you to have such a low opinion of me. I'm tired of all the bashing and bad mouthing and will no longer remain silent while you sully my good name.

Enough already!
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My dad died when I was in my early 20s.... I doubt that he ever saw me as an adult and there would be no way he saw me as an 'equal'....

There is no 'moment' that occured with my mom... just happened over time...

Now, my oldest sister had a hard moment... she is 16 years older than me and used to love calling me her little baby brother.... I had heard it for so many years I never even thought about it... but when I was about 24 or 25 her new husband said to her one time when she told someone 'He is a MAN, stop calling him a baby'... she thought about it and stopped...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
Yes, I'll read it, I promise.

I've been lurking for a long, long time and decided to join so I could defend myself from these unending attacks on my character.

Mister Dude, I don't know what I may have done in the past to offend you and cause you to have such a low opinion of me. I'm tired of all the bashing and bad mouthing and will no longer remain silent while you sully my good name.

Enough already!

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I'll read it, I promise. Maybe that will provide some sort of clue as to why you treat me the way you do.

Enough already!
Is that you, Pete?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noone-sized.jpg (17.7 KB, 166 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:

Enough already!
Hi noone, welcome to the forum. Please introduce your self over here Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community And if you don't mind my asking, just how do you pronounce your name?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
And if you don't mind my asking, just how do you pronounce your name?
Noone knows...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Noone knows how to pronounce noone's name.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
... just how do you pronounce your name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Noone knows...
Yes I do and if I told you neither you nor anyone else would believe me. Noone of you.
noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Late to this dance, but I found it an interesting read.

With my mom (deceased since 1995 when I was 32), she pretty much saw me as an adult pretty quickly and without much fanfare although there were a few moments.

With my dad, his seeing me as an adult had a few memorable and watershed events, at least to me.

The first was shortly after I went away to college and would come back home on some weekends. He actually "missed" me which surprised me because our relationship was lukewarm in my teenaged years.

The next was after my sophomore year of college, after I had made the Dean's List for the first time. A simple act, he invited me to go out for some ice cream with him, something he had NEVER done. Even today, 28 years later, it still stuns me even though we go out to eat pretty routinely, including last night.

The next time was after I got my first job, playing with numbers (actuarial). Being an introvert who sat in my room playing with numbers (Strat-o-Matic sports) a lot, now getting paid to sit at a desk and play with numbers kinda surprised him. Eight years later, I was making as much as he was.

The next time was when I had a chance to cook for them one of our family's favorite foods (breaded chicken cutlets) my mom taught me how to prepare. My mom and my dad told me separately that I made them better than she did!

The next time was when my mom was receiving treatment for her cancer and the two of them were away from home for a month or two at time, leaving me to make sure the house was okay and the bills got paid. They both told me it was comforting to know that everything would be okay at home when they returned (except I forgot to water the plants). I was 28 at the time.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Good family Scrabbler. It is so hard for parents to see their actions through the next gernations eyes. I wonder if that that ice cream invitation even made your Dad's radar?

I am always trying to switch places with others mentally so I can better see my blind spots.

Ha
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Three selves, how others (parents) see us, how we see ourselves, and supposedly how we are, somewhere in the middle.

Noone has it completely right, tho.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

My Dad died when I was thirty three but there were a few times when I remember seeing how proud my Dad was of me . He never really said much but when I was away at school he would write me notes and slip in a few extra dollars . I remember the look on his face when I got my Nurse's cap. It was pure love . I had the World's greatest Dad .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #37

It's been a long hard road for me....but I guess it was when I stopped seeing/talking to both of them for two years. I had to come to terms with how they treated me when I was a kid and once I was able to forgive them, I was able to see them as people who did the best they could at that time.
I have a relationship with them now, they tend to forget I am an adult sometimes, but I set my boundaries asap and they back down. I feel like I am parenting them sometimes!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #38

My mother - well, I was always her "baby", but I didn't mind! Truly, though, she treated me as an adult after I got out on my own and was married, etc. She never stopped worrying about me though, which is something you don't really appreciate until you don't have it!

My dad - after I broke off all communication with him for over a year and made it clear when I did re-initiate talks that I would not tolerate any guilt trips or degradation of my character. He knew then that if he stepped over the line I'd break all ties again. Gradually, over the years that followed, I could tell he felt sorry for his behavior in his younger days - but he never did come right out and apologize. Still, we reconciled enough to have a nice relationship for the last 15 or so years of his life.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Gradually, over the years that followed, I could tell he felt sorry for his behavior in his younger days - but he never did come right out and apologize.
I'm glad you experienced this reconciliation. But his attitude is so common, and illustrates an odd thing to me. Many parents still think they are permanently superiors to their children, long after their children are fully mature.

This is truly crazy, as the children usually are able to perform considerably better than the parent, have more modern attitudes, and in general are less idiotic.

Ha
Old 11-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #40

Dad always stayed on my case about stuff well into my fifties. He was always telling me what I needed to do just like he did before I left for college. I always tried to explain why I made certain financial decisions, but nothing settled his mind. I explained that I had been socking away money in a 401K for over twenty years at a rate exceeding 15% , and I had been acquiring rental property for almost as long. But the unsolicited fatherly advice never stopped, until...
One day he and I were alone at Pizza Hut. Up until then I had never given him many details about how much these assets were worth. He came straight out and asked me how much real estate equity I owned. I hesitated for a moment while I mentally added it up and decided whether to give him the number. I told him it was in the seven figures. Then I asked him about HIS net worth. He wouldn't say, but that wasn't surprising. That was the poker game he always played with everyone.
But here is what's interesting. I never got any of those questions again. I guess he was finally satisfied that his fathering was over.