My FOUR hours with the "window guy"......:(

A business opportunity for a tax planner.

Why do I have the feeling the IRS is going to have a "field office" in Reno where they audit the books of the bordellos??;)

Replacing a window is 4 screws and a tube of caulk. Did 17 in our house at $250/window. Included smoked glass in the bathroom. The heat savings was nice but what really helped was how quiet it became in the house (can't here cars in the street).

If you own a cordless srew driver it's a 1 man job.

Not if you own a brick house... you should remove the bricks around the window to put it in properly and then have to put the bricks back... I guess still a one man job, but not as easy..

That's how I enter.....:whistle:

I'm a backdoor man...

Not if you own a brick house... you should remove the bricks around the window to put it in properly and then have to put the bricks back... I guess still a one man job, but not as easy..

I think SOP is to cut the old window out, cut the "wings" off the new window, then shim to fit. Not ideal, but in my house, removing the brick around thirteen windows would create a very large "ca-ching" sound...

Our house dates back to mid 1800's ... had to do something with the old double hung single pane windows. Did set a bunch of them a side for future crafts (replacing the glass with mirrors in old windows was once a hobby).

All the large outlets (home depot, lowes ...) will let you custom order windows. We did a white, double hung, argon, double pane with embedded splits. Not sure the make ... threw out all the wrappers. My smaller local HW store actually beat the home depot price.

The measure is simply height and width minus 1/4" for "play". Some will tell you go with 1/2" play. But the vynl sands like wood so you can play with the frame if you have to (think - belt sander on a tight corner). The window molding will hide any gap. After calking - of course.

Install was easy: 1) pull the moldings with a puddy knife discard the old window and storm 2) pull the nails thru the back of the molding (don't bang them thru the face) 3)Shim the window where the 4 screws are. 4) screw it home 5) calk the gap 6) rehang the molding. Move to the next window.

Once you do one, you'll understand why they promise the whole job in one day.

Was also nice to get rid of the old storm windows. No need for them since the screen comes with the window.

This episode of Sesame Street has been brought to you by the letters T, M and I...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Must.................not.............comment.............................................................................................

Our house dates back to mid 1800's ... had to do something with the old double hung single pane windows. Did set a bunch of them a side for future crafts (replacing the glass with mirrors in old windows was once a hobby).

All the large outlets (home depot, lowes ...) will let you custom order windows. We did a white, double hung, argon, double pane with embedded splits. Not sure the make ... threw out all the wrappers. My smaller local HW store actually beat the home depot price.

The measure is simply height and width minus 1/4" for "play". Some will tell you go with 1/2" play. But the vynl sands like wood so you can play with the frame if you have to (think - belt sander on a tight corner). The window molding will hide any gap. After calking - of course.

Install was easy: 1) pull the moldings with a puddy knife discard the old window and storm 2) pull the nails thru the back of the molding (don't bang them thru the face) 3)Shim the window where the 4 screws are. 4) screw it home 5) calk the gap 6) rehang the molding. Move to the next window.

Once you do one, you'll understand why they promise the whole job in one day.

Was also nice to get rid of the old storm windows. No need for them since the screen comes with the window.

Thanks so much, Tryan--it does sound like a piece of cake. In my next life I'm going to either understand how to do this myself or marry someone who does.... if DH and/or I tried to do this in this life, one of us would be in prison for the other's murder. So as it is we are stuck with finding pros to do things like this for us--good thing we live below our means in other parts of our lives.

Our house is a couple of decades younger than yours, and I'm listening to our storm windows chattering in the wind as I write. It will be nice to have them hauled away.

This episode of Sesame Street has been brought to you by the letters T, M and I...

What does Three Mile Island have to do with it?

Hey, it's a recurring theme in blues, and it refers to a part of a dwelling... :whistle:

I was born via C-section. I'm totally normal, but whenever I leave the house, I go out through the window.

Back
Top Bottom