Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayelem
Was thinking earlier today, noticing Charlie's departure (sad), that there was no way I'd get sucked into this thread!

However, Herb Caen reference did it.

My parents are SF* natives and so somehow I knew about him.* Then I lived in the bay area in the late 80's, early 90's and got to be a fan myself.

Took them back to SF for their 50th anniversary and if I had thought about it I should have bought them a book of his columns.* I am sure there is one out there.

Thanks for the quote and memories!
Herb Caen was my "home-town" columnist in the early 70s in my first ER in Berkeley. I wasn't really ERd, but close. I had a high paying job that required minimal time, so I spent most of my late mornings sitting in the Cafe Med on Telelgraph Avenue. Each moring had to start with Caffe Wien mit milch, and Herb and the Chronicle.*

A peice of trivia that I can pass on but not authenticate is that Herb coined the term "Beatnik". In turn, the Beats coined what they intended to be a derisive term for another group of dropouts. That was where Hippies came from.

ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

In 1965 at the UW in Seattle - they were 'fringies' - obviously the hippie term is the one that caught on.
__________________

__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:49 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Herb Caen was my "home-town" columnist in the early 70s in my first ER in Berkeley.
ha
Were you around for Armistead Maupin?
For a while the Chron had HC, McCabe, Maupin, Carroll...the rest of the paper was well...not very good...remember the Comical mention in All The President's Men?
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

I loved McCabe. I don't remember or didn't read the other guys you mention.

Haha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnehaha
Posts: 2,375
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I loved McCabe. I don't remember or didn't read the other guys you mention.

Haha
Maupin did a serial called Tales of the City - turned it into books and TV movies...based it on real life "characters" some of whom I knew...He and McCabe were my neighbors. Jon Carroll eventually took over McCabe's slot after his demise...
__________________
MinnesotaEats - www.goodfoodmsp.com
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 524
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

There's a good article in today's Times on science and the belief in God.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/23/na...believers.html

It's a part of a special series on evolution.
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/science...al2/index.html
__________________
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

I can't believe what you guys are doing down there!

Your President comes out pushing intelligent design, egged on by the religious nuts. They are worming there way into your world leading scientific advantage.

How long do you think your lead will last if the Europeans, Chinese, Koreans......and Canadians , realize that you are still chained to middle-eastern fairy tales from thousands of years ago.

Nutjob Robertson is putting out a fatwa against Chavez?

Come on guys! It's 2005, not 1605!

__________________
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
I can't believe what you guys are doing down there!

Your President comes out pushing intelligent design, egged on by the religious nuts. They are worming there way into your world leading scientific advantage.

How long do you think your lead will last if the Europeans, Chinese, Koreans......and Canadians , realize that you are still chained to middle-eastern fairy tales from thousands of years ago.

Nutjob Robertson is putting out a fatwa against Chavez?

Come on guys! It's 2005, not 1605!

You know what I like about Robertson and Bush? They may be wrong but
they are never in doubt.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
You know what I like about Robertson and Bush?* They may be wrong but they are never in doubt.*
Not funny.* *I really do think they both believe they're on a moral crusade.* *Dumb + Powerful + Strong Convictions = Trouble.

Anyway, the NY Times article was pretty good.* *As the converted atheist in the article said, it comes down to the fact that science doesn't give you a strong moral foundation.* * Although, I happen to think that genetics does give us a moral foundation to work from.* *We all share the same warm and fuzzy feelings because it's in our genes.* *Love and attachment have obvious benefits for mating and raising progeny, for example.* * You don't need a Grand Puppet Master to pull those strings; the species simply fails without it.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #170
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Not funny.* *I really do think they both believe they're on a moral crusade.* *Dumb + Powerful + Strong Convictions = Trouble.

Anyway, the NY Times article was pretty good.* *As the converted atheist in the article said, it comes down to the fact that science doesn't give you a strong moral foundation.* * Although, I happen to think that genetics does give us a moral foundation to work from.* *We all share the same warm and fuzzy feelings because it's in our genes.* *Love and attachment have obvious benefits for mating and raising progeny, for example.* * You don't need a Grand Puppet Master to pull those strings; the species simply fails without it.
Don't know why I threw in the smiley face because I wasn't kidding.
I have all kinds of issues with both of these guys, but that truly (courage of your convictions) is a trait
I admire, even when I disagree.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Don't know why I threw in the smiley face because I wasn't kidding.
I have all kinds of issues with both of these guys, but that truly (courage of your convictions) is a trait
I admire, even when I disagree.

JG
I hear Pol Pot slept well at night, convictions are not enough. Plenty of slave owners were sure their practice was sanctioned by the Bible.
__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #172
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I hear Pol Pot slept well at night, convictions are not enough.* Plenty of slave owners were sure their practice was sanctioned by the Bible.*
Yeah and I seem to recall a guy named Adolph something or other
who was pretty confident also.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #173
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Exactly Zipper.* It amazes me that people actually believe in all these unseen God(s), the devil, spirits, etc when everything clearly works and evolves according to natural law.* * I have the same thoughts as you, we're now in the 21st century and we still wont let go of these security blankets.* *When, as a society, are we ever going to grow up?

There's a part of me that praises people like crook televangists like Robert Tilton, and Swaggert.* *Because i believe in natural selection/survival of the fittest, I don't think dumbass people who give to people like this deserve to have their money anyway.* *Its healthy biologically for the smart ones to have the most.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #174
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 768
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Oh well. Now that people have heard several different points of view discussed, they can choose for themselves what to believe. We have that freedom in our country. Even the freedom to believe this:

"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
Revelation 22:12 NIV
__________________
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #175
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,505
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Belief itself, is illogical.* There is what you know (and can prove or has been proven) and what you dont know.

Michael, keep the hope alive!

My 2 year old likes his lovey too, so i do understand the need there. I just get lonely sometimes because i grew up and dont need mine anymore, but most everyone else still needs one.
__________________
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #176
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
How could I forget the ultimate prize? OK, I need to amend the rules of my new religion:

1) This is the one true religion. All others are bogus.

2) Spread the word about (1).

3) If you don't believe me, fine. Burn in hell for all eternity.

4) But if you do as I say, you get to dance the polka for all eternity. With supermodels!
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #177
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Yeah and I seem to recall a guy named Adolph something or other who was pretty confident also. JG
Whoops, there we go. 12 pages and the Nazis have come up.

This thread has officially sunk from a reasoned debate to a flame war...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 PM   #178
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wabmester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,459
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Whoops, there we go.* 12 pages and the Nazis have come up.*

This thread has officially sunk from a reasoned debate to a flame war...
Itchy trigger finger, Nords? The poster merely suggested that "sticking to your guns" is both an admirable trait and one that can lead to fascism. You know, a sword that cuts both ways?

Hardly a reason to shut down discussion.
__________________
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:15 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 223
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Zipper, I agree with you.* I would seriously consider moving to Canada, because it seems that huge swaths of the USA are now dominated by very scary people.* (I could get a lot more detailed in describing exactly what I mean by "scary," but I don't want to offend people here.)* Do you happen to know how hard it is for professionals to emigrate from the USA to Canada?

The USA is a hegemon in decline.* It's like the fall of the Roman empire--as a nation we've become fat, decadent, ignorant, arrogant, and jingoistic.* Too many of us feel America is entitled to economic prosperity and geopolitical power, simply by virtue of the fact that it's America, divinely-inpired, and therefore inherently the greatest country on Earth!

Oh man.* It'll be hard for me to run for political office if this post gets traced back to me one day.
__________________
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...
Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 287
Re: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Hardly a reason to shut down discussion.
I'm sorry, but it is in clear violation of Godwin's law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
__________________

__________________
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
on the path 6 - when men plan; god laughs dex Life after FIRE 14 06-01-2006 01:12 PM
MOVED: My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God... REWahoo FIRE and Money 0 08-11-2005 03:36 PM
My God, Your God, or No God...Oh, God... Cal FIRE and Money 0 08-03-2005 09:23 PM
There is no God but God, and no safe haha FIRE and Money 24 07-23-2005 04:47 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.