Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My good friends at the IRS
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

My good friends at the IRS

Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns. It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file. Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002. Now am fussing with the new accountant (our old one retired) to try to get proof of the electronic filing and digging out copies of checks to the IRS. What an irritant. And I have that little nagging feeling about what would happen if we can't prove we filed. Where is the "scream" emoticon?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My good friends at the IRS
Old 10-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

There go your Supreme Court chances!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am beginning to wonder about their network. *My son's business made tax deposits as required, has canceled checks to prove it, but IRS can't find the $!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns.* It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file.* Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002.* Now am fussing with the new accountant (our old one retired) to try to get proof of the electronic filing and digging out copies of checks to the IRS. What an irritant.* ** And I have that little nagging feeling about what would happen if we can't prove we filed.* *Where is the "scream" emoticon?

I doubt you would end up in the slammer as did the other famous
Martha. OTOH, almost everyone who gets in trouble with the IRS
has a bout of fear and loathing, innocent or not.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U

I doubt you would end up in the slammer as did the other famous
Martha. OTOH, almost everyone who gets in trouble with the IRS
has a bout of fear and loathing, innocent or not.

JG
Yeah, it is like feeling nervous just because a cop car passes you, even if you are doing everything just right.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Every few years my firm does a check to make sure all lawyers are filing their tax returns.* It is considered a violation of professional responsibility rules not to file.* Well the IRS came back and said I haven't filed returns for 2004, 2003 and 2002.
Does this mean that your firm will accelerate your gaol goal to reduce your work hours?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

See, the IRS doesnt scare me a bit.

They're sort of like the mob. Play more or less within the rules, if something becomes amiss, a little money or a little explanation usually solves the problem.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #8

Over the last several years, I have gotten letters from the IRS for minor clerical errors that got resolved quickly with no money exchange. Since I am a closet larcenist (unlike JimmyCarter I have larceny is my heart) , my pulse goes from 45 to 90 whenever I get these or other unannounced letters. I think it may be due to my ingrained European upbringing that you are guilty until proven innocent.

Yes I did it (I think?). I deserve the chair.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might contact the IRS, and explain the problem. It may just be a minor clerical error that they can resolve. They may also look up your record, and send you some paper work verifying filing, or call your boss to verify it.

If the first person can't help, wait a bit and call back. This will likely give you someone else to talk to who may be able to help. I have noticed wide variations in agent skill. They have generally wanted to be helpful any time I called.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
They have generally wanted to be helpful any time I called.
That has also been my experience.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
... my pulse goes from 45 to 90 whenever I get these or other unannounced letters.
I've done three years of tax returns for a small non-profit. I learned the rules, I followed all the directions, and I didn't cut any corners, but you only learn your mistakes when the lightning strikes.

Yesterday, with just two months left on my sentence term, the dreaded letter arrived with the IRS' return address. My pulse rate was almost as high as my blood pressure.

It turns out that our non-profit probationary period has ended and they just want another form to give us final approval. Whew.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #12

Martha,

I just read your happiness thread. Now I understand your bit of angst! Good luck!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:10 AM   #13

Alas, it seems to still be true; this paperless, wireless thing isn't working. The guy with the most paper wins.

I* still mail in my return and don't do computerized bill pay. Copies and receipts? I got em shootin' out my ass.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Alas, it seems to still be true; this paperless, wireless thing isn't working. The guy with the most paper wins.

I* still mail in my return and don't do computerized bill pay. Copies and receipts? I got em shootin' out my ass.

Yeah, me too. I do almost nothing on line. The other day I was
a little late sending a check, so I called (CC company)
to make a direct payment from my checking account.
Their automated system said I had to be "registered" first.
I mailed a check and hope it makes the due date.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

It is interesting that all three returns were filed electronically.

Still not resolved.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:55 AM   #16

Not having a copy of your (tax) return printed for your records is like sending Murphy a direct invitation to visit you and remind you he's still around.* *;-)* *

I go a little overboard;* without looking in my file cabinet i think i have returns dating back to 1997. Probably keeping the past 5 years though is sufficent for most cases.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I have copies of tax returns going back to the early 80s. But I don't have proof of filing. Frankly, I am surprised that there isn't a filing receipt from the electronic filing with the accountants who filed the returns.

The checks were sent in separately. I do have cancelled checks from the past several years.

So it should work out.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:32 AM   #18

With the cancelled checks you should be all set! Yay. But if you're like me, you won't be able to relax until it's all been resolved.

I have a phobia of all government interaction. I think it stems from some early bad experiences with the DMV, followed by booster shots from mixups with other government agencies.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #19

Quote:
I have copies of tax returns going back to the early 80s.* But I don't have proof of filing.* Frankly, I am surprised that there isn't a filing receipt from the electronic filing with the accountants who filed the returns.
The accountants that efiled for you should have an "Acknowledgement Report" showing your name, your social security number, an "accepted" status, and the date it was accepted.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks retire@40. I'll ask the accountant about it. Part of the problem is that our original accountant retired and sold his practice to another accountant that I am not the least bit thrilled with. Because she was too slow, we had to file for an extension this year. Then she underestimated what we should pay and so we had to pay more plus interest.