Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Your wife has to work one more year to earn the pension--do you "have" to do this too to pad the nest egg? If not, does your DW know how truly awful you feel about it? Perhaps you can be a househusband for her last year or look for something else to do short term to earn a little money.
No, I don't have to, and we have discussed it. I will give it the old college try, but may end up pulling the trigger anyway.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Why did you do that to yourself?
Temporary insanity and fear of change.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

A year ago I set my goal at mid-2016. Things at work became easier because I realized that I no longer have to worry about career development, training, positioning myself for my next job. I can give exposure and opportunities to my staff. I can give away credit to other people because I just don't need it. So my staff love me.

Now that I am a year away, I now know that I'm not concerned if they lay me off. That doesn't mean I'll slack off - other people are depending on me. But it does mean that the boss can't hurt me. If things get hot, I can leave. In six months time, I'll give five months notice, and then she'll know that she has nothing over me. Things can only get better....
Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was in tears 3 or 4 days a week when I got out of the truck to catch the train pretty much the entire last year before I quit the cube job. If I had another choice, I would have taken it. Open the door marked "exit."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Why flog yourself?

Zombie-ing around for a year is corrosive for you and your co workers...not to mention the employer.

You can support your wife by house-husbanding [or some other helpful task set] for the balance of her work term and not abuse yourself doing something you hate.
+1

Husband retired a year before I did. I wasn't even serious about retiring until he did and was enjoying his new life so much....coffee at a different place each morning is one example.

DH took over all the cleaning, laundry, cooking. Each evening I came home to dinner prepared and a clean house. He even packed my lunches and would bring me iced tea at work if I asked. Just guessing your wife might like that, too?

That made my last year much more bearable. It was a long year, but my responsibilities ended each day at 4PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
+1

Husband retired a year before I did. I wasn't even serious about retiring until he did and was enjoying his new life so much....coffee at a different place each morning is one example.

DH took over all the cleaning, laundry, cooking. Each evening I came home to dinner prepared and a clean house. He even packed my lunches and would bring me iced tea at work if I asked. Just guessing your wife might like that, too?

That made my last year much more bearable. It was a long year, but my responsibilities ended each day at 4PM.

I came out of retirement for summer school this year to tack on some more Roth money. One week to go...Big mistake! The damnedest thing is I did the same thing last year and swore I wouldn't do it again. It wont happen again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I came out of retirement for summer school this year to tack on some more Roth money. One week to go...Big mistake! The damnedest thing is I did the same thing last year and swore I wouldn't do it again. It wont happen again!
Einstein pegged it: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein at BrainyQuote

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Maybe that is a bit better than senility which is what I thought I had. Its that darn "Roth" word that keeps biting me. If they would only let me fund the Roth with my pension income.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My empathy. I did a single OMY, had started a second. DW begged me to join her in retirement but I didn't think I was ready.

I still recall the details of the 2 game changers. The first I wrote off to "chicken little management practices". The second crossed a line that I refused to accept. I waited almost a month till DW's birthday, that was her birthday present from me, best present ever, for both of us!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'm in a similar situation except DW needed to work 9 years more to get a pension, with paid health care. I retired as soon as I could and have enjoyed 8 years of doing whatever I want, including making her life easier while she worked. Next year she, too, will retire.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

You might let your company know super early. It could change your job enough to make it bearable. I announced I was retiring 3 months before I did, since my firm's work is mostly quarterly in nature. I spent the last quarter saying goodbye to clients and transitioning my work. Some of my clients asked if I could be available for special projects, and now I work about 5 hours a week on things I really enjoy.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

There won't be a second OMY for me. I was doing some financial calculations this weekend and decided that regardless of what my old company does, or this new one, I'm out next June after my 1-year vesting cliff, and moving back to Colorado.

I don't care if I have to buy a cheap mobile home in the middle of nowhere, be a hermit, and live off tins of cat food. I'm done being a cube rat and working IT jobs I hate.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrowning View Post
DW is a teacher and has one year until pension eligible. I told her I would also work another year. Every day is torture; I have mentally checked out. It's gonna be a long year.
So change your mind. What's stopping you?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
So change your mind. What's stopping you?
That lady over there is stopping me.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
There won't be a second OMY for me. I was doing some financial calculations this weekend and decided that regardless of what my old company does, or this new one, I'm out next June after my 1-year vesting cliff, and moving back to Colorado.

I don't care if I have to buy a cheap mobile home in the middle of nowhere, be a hermit, and live off tins of cat food. I'm done being a cube rat and working IT jobs I hate.
So what's wrong with a cheap (free to me) motor home in the middle of nowhere in the Colorado mountains? (BTW, I kind of like the Hermit lifestyle. Haven't tried any cat food, though. )

I planned on doing one more year when DS announced he would take longer to graduate from college, but after a 3-week vacation to the Colorado mountains, the first day back was enough for me. I put in the paperwork that day and was done in a month.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBrowning View Post
Study hall and lunch were my favorite classes.
When I was in Jr College, our sociology teacher warned us against attending "Student Center-U" and majoring in "Drop-ology"...but I did get lots of fun dates there before xfr-ing to a majority male engineering U!