Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I've held onto my HS annuals from '67 thru '70 and have no plans to get rid of them anytime soon. I came from a small, rural community and there were about 30 in my graduating class. I've found over the years that folks from my HS keep in better contact than most schools several times as large (and have several Facebook groups) and I do enjoy comparing "now vs. then" photos. A few years ago I digitized my annuals into indexed, searchable PDFs and have given these to several old classmates who had lost their hard copies and had assumed they'd never get their hands on one again. So these digital copies were gratefully received and it was a fun project which kept me out of trouble for a few evenings.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

"Annuals" versus "Yearbooks"
Old 09-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Annuals" versus "Yearbooks"

I'm just curious - I've only ever heard them called "(High School) Year Books". Kind of a funny term now that I analyze it. I don't ever recall hearing them called 'annuals'.

Is that a regional thing? Generational? I wonder if it comes up in that dialect quiz that could pinpoint where you were raised based on these sorts of regional differences (gym shoes versus sneakers versus tennis shoes, etc)?

-ERD50

Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm just curious - I've only ever heard them called "(High School) Year Books". Kind of a funny term now that I analyze it. I don't ever recall hearing them called 'annuals'.

Is that a regional thing? Generational?
In CA during the 1970s, I know the terms were pretty much interchangeable, but most students called them"yearbooks." I suppose one slight shading of useage was that a particular edition was usually called a "yearbook" ("Did you buy the 1980 yearbook?") whereas the overall publication type was often called an "annual" ("Jostens' major products are high school annuals and class rings", "I'm on the annual staff")
Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Northeast Ohio, we only ever called them yearbooks. Never heard of the term annual until this thread.

omni
Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
In Northeast Ohio, we only ever called them yearbooks. Never heard of the term annual until this thread.

omni
Same here in Texas.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:54 PM   #26

Never heard the term, annual," either. It was always "yearbook."

The HS yearbook editors messed up my yearbook in a way I will never forgive them for. I was in two after-school clubs, the chess club and the Mathletes. I led both teams to successful seasons in my senior year, finishing near the top in the county. But for neither club was there even a team photo included in the yearbook. All the other clubs, sports and non-sports, had pictures, some with pictures of individual seniors. But with my two clubs, it was if they didn't exist at all. Shameful and stupid. I put in a lot of time and effort with those two clubs and was ignored by the yearbook staff.

I mentioned this to my HS principal and the best he could do for me was to give me, at no charge, a copy of the previous year's yearbook which had group pictures of my two clubs and they included me in them.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I seem to recall that each year in HS they would hand out blank forms asking each of us to list all of the clubs, teams, awards etc. for the yearbook. I recall loading up my sheet in my senior year as I signed up for every sports team, "cool guy" clubs, smart guy clubs etc. I did not purchase the edition so I don't recall if it worked, but someone once mentioned to me that they did not know that I was so active in HS. I wasn't.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I seem to recall that each year in HS they would hand out blank forms asking each of us to list all of the clubs, teams, awards etc. for the yearbook. I recall loading up my sheet in my senior year as I signed up for every sports team, "cool guy" clubs, smart guy clubs etc. I did not purchase the edition so I don't recall if it worked, but someone once mentioned to me that they did not know that I was so active in HS. I wasn't.

Interesting scheme but it wouldn't have worked for me. My school was small enough that the yearbook staff knew everyone and they just plugged you in where they knew you belonged. Moreover, as four of my six senior classes were taught by either my dad or my uncle, nothing slipped through the cracks. Judgement for such an infraction would have been both swift and sure and the discipline - much like my bonds - painful and of long duration...
Old 10-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Judgement for such an infraction would have been both swift and sure
and the discipline - much like my bonds - painful and of long duration...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote