Join Early Retirement Today

My Hometown is #30 on Money's 2007 Best Places to Live!!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Hometown is #30 on Money's 2007 Best Places to Live!!

Finally, a list it's ok to be on:

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Germantown, WI snapshot

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The town we've been looking at forever is #1. The town we were building a house in but cancelled is #18. Aparently we're pretty decent at picking good spots.

The problem is, many seem to be just suburbs with no industry that are part of a metro area. For example, Chaska MN is a suburb of Minneapolis and so part of the Twin Cities metro area. The schools are no better or worse than Eden Prairie (where I live) but the housing average is quite a bit lower because we have several large enclaves of multi-$mm houses. The mean housing price is probably not that different between the two. However, in any case, if you decided to move to Chaska, you'd have to get a job in another suburb or downtown... so, is it really worth being a 'best place to live'? You're going to go to the same hospitals the rest of us go to, have equivilant taxes and school systems, and will have to commute just as far for a job.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
The town we've been looking at forever is #1. The town we were building a house in but cancelled is #18. Aparently we're pretty decent at picking good spots.

The problem is, many seem to be just suburbs with no industry that are part of a metro area. For example, Chaska MN is a suburb of Minneapolis and so part of the Twin Cities metro area. The schools are no better or worse than Eden Prairie (where I live) but the housing average is quite a bit lower because we have several large enclaves of multi-$mm houses. The mean housing price is probably not that different between the two. However, in any case, if you decided to move to Chaska, you'd have to get a job in another suburb or downtown... so, is it really worth being a 'best place to live'? You're going to go to the same hospitals the rest of us go to, have equivilant taxes and school systems, and will have to commute just as far for a job.
Good points. I live 20 minutes from Miller Park, 25 minutes from downtown, and 12 mintues from work. More importantly,if I drive 3 miles north, I can see fields of grain and corn, and I'm less than 7 miles from 5 nice lakes........

Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Where we live now cracked the top 100.

Unfortunately a fair bit of the data they're showing for it is not even remotely accurate.

For example, they show the july average high at 85 degrees, when most sources show it at 95...which is about right.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Where we live now cracked the top 100.

Unfortunately a fair bit of the data they're showing for it is not even remotely accurate.

For example, they show the july average high at 85 degrees, when most sources show it at 95...which is about right.
Statistics lie.......

Our numbers are pretty accurate, it's not the Hamptons, but a good LBYM location. How do I know? The busiest places in town are the Dollar General Store and WalMart.........

Old 07-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've also been eyeing land around Sheboygan and Kewaskum. While I think we'd like the Madison area more (we're white-collar, bleeding heart environmentalist liberals with a strong conservative streak) but being close to Milwaukee and a short drive to Lake Michigan (a poor substitute for Lake Superior but still very nice) would be great.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Plus with almost 3X the average amount of bars it has to be a good place .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I browsed through the whole list of 100 towns, and none of them appeal to me in the slightest!! I think this must mean that I am inordinately particular.

One thing that I noticed is that many (not all) seemed to have high median home prices and to be too expensive for my tastes. Many (not all) were suburbs of cities that didn't make the list. There were none in Louisiana, which didn't surprise me at all. The only town in Missouri listed (Liberty) looks like a suburb of Kansas City. It seemed like there were a lot of places located in northeastern or west coast states, especially California.

Personally, though I am sure Germantown is probably great (never been to Wisconsin), still, I would not have selected the same 100 cities.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agreed, this list isnt very thoughtful if it is just throwing out suburbs of some larger cities...
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The 142nd fastest gun in the West...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The 142nd fastest gun in the West...
Yes, but the schnitzel is superb!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many cities can make claim like this:

Houston
1) 45,160 Median family income
2) 51,202 Purchasing power.

REW, hold your tongue.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, but the schnitzel is superb!

Ha
Beers and brats (and boobs...); sounds good to me!

Except for the cold weather, I imagine I could learn to like the Madison area. Yeah, I know it's full of left-wingnuts, but liberals are more fun than conservatives...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Of course, I find that this list seems to give permafrost points for liveability. And being a small town (although as mentioned some like Claremont are really suburbs).
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Beers and brats (and boobs...); sounds good to me!

Except for the cold weather, I imagine I could learn to like the Madison area. Yeah, I know it's full of left-wingnuts, but liberals are more fun than conservatives...
It's not thatcold,with global warming.........

The last 3 winters, I golfed in December........

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Lived in Madison for 5y, Milwaukee suburbs for 20. I can vouch for both places being great places to live.

Yet after now living in the warmth for the past 7 years...

I know why some people become snowbirds.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Lived in Madison for 5y, Milwaukee suburbs for 20. I can vouch for both places being great places to live.

Yet after now living in the warmth for the past 7 years...

I know why some people become snowbirds.
I lived in Florida (Port Charlotte) for a year. The summer humidity almost killed me,too much Scandinavian blood I guess.

Now, I look forward to a crisp sunny winter day as much as you look forward to playing golf 12 months a year.........