My Hometown is #30 on Money's 2007 Best Places to Live!!

The town we've been looking at forever is #1. The town we were building a house in but cancelled is #18. Aparently we're pretty decent at picking good spots.

The problem is, many seem to be just suburbs with no industry that are part of a metro area. For example, Chaska MN is a suburb of Minneapolis and so part of the Twin Cities metro area. The schools are no better or worse than Eden Prairie (where I live) but the housing average is quite a bit lower because we have several large enclaves of multi-$mm houses. The mean housing price is probably not that different between the two. However, in any case, if you decided to move to Chaska, you'd have to get a job in another suburb or downtown... so, is it really worth being a 'best place to live'? You're going to go to the same hospitals the rest of us go to, have equivilant taxes and school systems, and will have to commute just as far for a job.

The town we've been looking at forever is #1. The town we were building a house in but cancelled is #18. Aparently we're pretty decent at picking good spots.

The problem is, many seem to be just suburbs with no industry that are part of a metro area. For example, Chaska MN is a suburb of Minneapolis and so part of the Twin Cities metro area. The schools are no better or worse than Eden Prairie (where I live) but the housing average is quite a bit lower because we have several large enclaves of multi-$mm houses. The mean housing price is probably not that different between the two. However, in any case, if you decided to move to Chaska, you'd have to get a job in another suburb or downtown... so, is it really worth being a 'best place to live'? You're going to go to the same hospitals the rest of us go to, have equivilant taxes and school systems, and will have to commute just as far for a job.

Good points. I live 20 minutes from Miller Park, 25 minutes from downtown, and 12 mintues from work. More importantly,if I drive 3 miles north, I can see fields of grain and corn, and I'm less than 7 miles from 5 nice lakes........:D

Where we live now cracked the top 100.

Unfortunately a fair bit of the data they're showing for it is not even remotely accurate.

For example, they show the july average high at 85 degrees, when most sources show it at 95...which is about right.

Where we live now cracked the top 100.

Unfortunately a fair bit of the data they're showing for it is not even remotely accurate.

For example, they show the july average high at 85 degrees, when most sources show it at 95...which is about right.

Statistics lie.......:p

Our numbers are pretty accurate, it's not the Hamptons, but a good LBYM location. How do I know? The busiest places in town are the Dollar General Store and WalMart.........:D:D

I've also been eyeing land around Sheboygan and Kewaskum. While I think we'd like the Madison area more (we're white-collar, bleeding heart environmentalist liberals with a strong conservative streak) but being close to Milwaukee and a short drive to Lake Michigan (a poor substitute for Lake Superior but still very nice) would be great.

I browsed through the whole list of 100 towns, and none of them appeal to me in the slightest!! I think this must mean that I am inordinately particular. :2funny:

One thing that I noticed is that many (not all) seemed to have high median home prices and to be too expensive for my tastes. Many (not all) were suburbs of cities that didn't make the list. There were none in Louisiana, which didn't surprise me at all. The only town in Missouri listed (Liberty) looks like a suburb of Kansas City. It seemed like there were a lot of places located in northeastern or west coast states, especially California.

Personally, though I am sure Germantown is probably great (never been to Wisconsin), still, I would not have selected the same 100 cities.

Last edited:
Agreed, this list isnt very thoughtful if it is just throwing out suburbs of some larger cities...

How many cities can make claim like this:

Houston
1) 45,160 Median family income
2) 51,202 Purchasing power.

REW, hold your tongue.

Yes, but the schnitzel is superb!

Ha

Beers and brats (and boobs...); sounds good to me!

Except for the cold weather, I imagine I could learn to like the Madison area. Yeah, I know it's full of left-wingnuts, but liberals are more fun than conservatives... >:D

Of course, I find that this list seems to give permafrost points for liveability. And being a small town (although as mentioned some like Claremont are really suburbs).

Beers and brats (and boobs...); sounds good to me!

Except for the cold weather, I imagine I could learn to like the Madison area. Yeah, I know it's full of left-wingnuts, but liberals are more fun than conservatives... >:D

It's not thatcold,with global warming.........:D

The last 3 winters, I golfed in December........:eek:

Lived in Madison for 5y, Milwaukee suburbs for 20. I can vouch for both places being great places to live.

Yet after now living in the warmth for the past 7 years...

I know why some people become snowbirds.

Lived in Madison for 5y, Milwaukee suburbs for 20. I can vouch for both places being great places to live.

Yet after now living in the warmth for the past 7 years...

I know why some people become snowbirds.

I lived in Florida (Port Charlotte) for a year. The summer humidity almost killed me,too much Scandinavian blood I guess.

Now, I look forward to a crisp sunny winter day as much as you look forward to playing golf 12 months a year.........:D

Back
Top Bottom