Join Early Retirement Today

My HS Junior son got the news no school today
Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My HS Junior son got the news no school today

My HS Junior son got the news no school today. Everybody is closed to clean up parking lots. Hence there was no reason to get up early - sleeping 'in' for me is 7:30AM. I figured I'd sleep -I had an active day- I shoveled the driveway to expose the black top to the sun and helped the neighbor dig out- the plows had buried him in. I woke at four tossed and turned a bit - my new knee aches a bit when you move the wrong way and the Mrs was snoring (she's will deny it). Somehow I fell back asleep.

At 5:50AM I awoke to the unmistakable sound of a 70lb white fluffy old dog scratch at the front door. Her scratch was added by a leather dog alarm, complete with bell, that hangs neatly on the door handle. In an emergency she will push the alarm off the handle with her nose. I have a rule not before 6AM unless it is an emergency. Of course I got up anyway and went downstairs and she was patiently waiting for me. I tossed on the heavy coat and some slip ons - I planned on staying on the shoveled path. The lab poodle mix princess doesn't like walking in the deep snow so the misses dug her a short path to the back yard where there is a patch with less snow. Off went the house alarm and on went an exterior light. I stepped out determined not to fall on my butt - two years ago I slipped on some black ice and had a sore tailbone for a couple of weeks. With the new knee I worry what would happen. I don't enjoy walking the in the dark when it is 26 degrees outside either - it is creepy. I have LED landscape and pathway lighting - much of it is buried still most of the property is well lit. The dog looked out at her favorite area under a deep blanket of snow and seemed to say no way. She went back to the front door and I reminded her of why we were out there: "Dusty business!" She seemed to remember and turned around and dragged me past the ice patch to the back yard and took care of it.

She's had her morning treat and sleeping next to the gas stove (looks like an old coal stove we have two and they heat the house) she is on one of her three doggie beds. Years ago I remember pulling up in front of my wife's house and seeing my future father-in-law walking the dog in a snow squall -it was a very chilly day. I though to myself "not me".

But what did I know - mans best friend. Man I hate the cold.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the story.

You might want to consider adding a more descriptive title/subject to the thread.

It might attract people looking to discuss school closing policy as it reads now.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #3

7:30 is sleeping in for me, too. Like you, my schedule is dictated by the kids' schedule.

Robert Heinlein had a book called "Door into Summer"... The protagonist had a cat that would make the person open every single door, looking for one that didn't lead into snow, but rather... led to summer outside. As someone who co-habitated with cats most of my life, and now has the world's best dog, I understand the process of opening the doors for pets in order to appease them.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
7:30 is sleeping in for me, too. Like you, my schedule is dictated by the kids' schedule.

Robert Heinlein had a book called "Door into Summer"... The protagonist had a cat that would make the person open every single door, looking for one that didn't lead into snow, but rather... led to summer outside. As someone who co-habitated with cats most of my life, and now has the world's best dog, I understand the process of opening the doors for pets in order to appease them.
That sounds like a story based on a lifetime's experience with cats. Dang, there is nothing they hate more than a closed door! Our Pancake is the worst, as she cannot pass a door without wanting it opened for her!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

Hello Ray,
Your lucky your pooch will just do its business. My 14 year old elderly Border Collie mix ladyfriend expects to get walked a bit before picking just the right spot. So no later than 8am, about 4pm, and about 9 pm (she can't hear but sure can tell time), I've got to get all the winter gear on for at least 20 minutes outside. I always make sure the 9pm walk is short. Sunday morn it was 8 degrees. She doesn't care what the weather is like unless pouring rain.....then she is more willing to cut the walk short.

And my 17 year old just got up at 10am...no school today as teacher in=service day.

Up at 6 am, only sleep in day for me is Saturdays
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Robert Heinlein had a book called "Door into Summer"... The protagonist had a cat that would make the person open every single door, looking for one that didn't lead into snow, but rather... led to summer outside.
I grew up with cats although we have none now (DW's allergies) and that fully describes them. Snow, rain, whatever weather they didn't like, "Maybe it's different behind the other door".
Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM   #7

I have almost always had a dog and since 1970 the dogs have all been West Highland Terriers, between 16 and 22 lbs, so fairly small. From early on it was not unusual to get a snowfall that was deeper than the dog was tall. I would go out and clear some paths for the dog to go out into the yard. We called them "Pup Trails".