Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
An experience from a few years ago - DW was with one of the kids, and the kid parked the car. They called me and said they couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Here I'm figuring the lock is jammed up, something is over-riding the switch, all sorts of possibilities are going through my head. Then, timidly, I said "Did you try turning the steering whhel a little to the left and right while turning the key? Sometimes there's some pressure against it and it keeps the key from turning." - and then I grimaced while I expected the "What, do you think I'm stupid? Of course I tried that!", but no, I hear "Hey! That did it!".

I couldn't believe a driver wouldn't know that, but you never know what others don't know.

-ERD50
My bold. This goes back to ~1970. I was a "car guy" but couldn't afford a "nice one". I was attending a convention in my town and had bussed to work and walked to the location. I had invited another out-of-towner to stay at my place. When we left, she borrowed a colleague's car for the night so we could get home. It was a GTO convertible 4-speed. When we got there we couldn't get the key out. Finally, we parked in my driveway and I put my car behind it so that even if someone saw the key and tried to steal it, it was going nowhere. Next morning I stayed with the car while she went in and found her colleague. He came out and showed us, you have to have it in reverse to remove the key. My car was a Japanese 4-speed at the time.
Rick_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Just to delve a little more deeply than anyone cares into the Roosevelt trivia...
TR and FDR were cousins, yes, but each subscribed to a different pronunciation of the family name. Teddy pronounced the "oo" sound, just like it was spelled, but FDR elected to use the long "o" as in "rose".
A facebook friend of mine just posted something about how she hoped people would pronounce Roosevelt's name correctly, with the Burns series coming out. I was all set to drop this little fact on her when I thought I should google it, and found that Teddy also pronounced it as "Rose".

TR Center - How do you pronounce Roosevelt

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you so much for finding this. One of my degrees is in History and I have been looking for something like this for 45 yrs. Have always heard of the "Roos" vs "Rose" story but every "Authority" on the subject, including people I knew decades ago who lived through both Roosevelts, contradicted each other.

Reminds me of Stephen COLE-bert vs Stephen Cole-BEAR
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
Anyone interested in Teddy Roosevelt should read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex, both written by Edmund Morris. If there was ever a true Renaissance Man, it was Teddy Roosevelt.
I read Theodore Rex and really enjoyed it. Teddy was a fascinating person and one of my favorite presidents.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Thank you so much for finding this. One of my degrees is in History and I have been looking for something like this for 45 yrs. Have always heard of the "Roos" vs "Rose" story but every "Authority" on the subject, including people I knew decades ago who lived through both Roosevelts, contradicted each other.

Reminds me of Stephen COLE-bert vs Stephen Cole-BEAR
Or Brett Fa-RVE vs Brett Fa-VRE
Old 09-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A facebook friend of mine just posted something about how she hoped people would pronounce Roosevelt's name correctly, with the Burns series coming out. I was all set to drop this little fact on her when I thought I should google it, and found that Teddy also pronounced it as "Rose".

TR Center - How do you pronounce Roosevelt

Thanks for setting me straight. I guess I did not know that.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #27

My grandmother claimed that those who liked FDR pronounced it "Rose..." while others said "Roos...".
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I knew a guy who's first name is "Roosevelt". He preferred pronounced as "Rose". All a matter of personal preference I guess.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
My bold. This goes back to ~1970. I was a "car guy" but couldn't afford a "nice one". I was attending a convention in my town and had bussed to work and walked to the location. I had invited another out-of-towner to stay at my place. When we left, she borrowed a colleague's car for the night so we could get home. It was a GTO convertible 4-speed. When we got there we couldn't get the key out. Finally, we parked in my driveway and I put my car behind it so that even if someone saw the key and tried to steal it, it was going nowhere. Next morning I stayed with the car while she went in and found her colleague. He came out and showed us, you have to have it in reverse to remove the key. My car was a Japanese 4-speed at the time.
I borrowed an old truck to do some hauling and couldn't get the key out. Had a gas cap lock, do had to fiddle with the key ring while the ignition key was still in the ignition. But having to park and leave the truck, I found a button on the top of the steering wheel shaft housing that allowed the key to be removed. You've got to wonder why they rigged all of these key removal tricks!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

About 30 years ago, I once forgot to put a day camp minibus into Park when I removed the key (on some of those older vehicles, this was possible). When I tried to start the minibus up later, it would not start. On this minibus, the transmission gear selector was in the steering column so it was not easy to spot the little vertical line and the letter it lined up with. Also, while I had driven cars with the gear selector in the steering column, I hadn't done so in a while.

I needed someone from the day camp to drive over and discover this right away, leaving me rather embarrassed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #31

I've been reading "Theodore Roosevelt; an Autobiography" This is a free Kindle book on Amazon.

The sections on his life as a cowboy in North Dakota, African safaris, The Spanish War, the national parks and forests, conservation, Panama Canal, equal rights, and the history of the administration of public lands are especially interesting to me.Some parts are self-serving, as you would expect from a consummate politician.

He spends a lot of time on local New York politics, which has very little interest to me.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #32

Sometime during the '80s a rental company rented me a Mustang. Little did I know it had a key removal button hidden under the steering column. I'd never seen a car with that, so had to leave it parked with the keys in the ignition. Why such a button was needed remains unclear to me even now.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Plus

John Quincy Adams was the son of John Adams
Benjamin Harrison was a grandson of William Henry Harrison

and of course everyone should know that: George W. Bush is the son of George H Bush

I've read that several others are related (distantly) by blood and some by marriage.
Barbara Pierce Bush (GHWB's wife) is a descendant of Franklin Pierce's brother.

Eleanor R. Was Teddy's favorite niece and he gave her away at her wedding to his distant cousin. He had offered to have her marriage at the White
House.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #34

I have one of those "I didn't know that" moments several times a day. When I tell someone I start with "did you know that ....". Half the time they say "Of course I knew that ! I thought EVERYONE knew that". 25% of the time they say "yeah, I think I heard that somewhere" (which I think is the polite version of "Yes, I thought EVERONE knew that !). The other 25% of the time they didn't know it either.

I didn't know the Eleanor was related to Franklin until I recently read an article.

The first time I couldn't get the key out of the car I called DH in a panic. He told me about holding the brake down and wiggling the steering wheel.

It's nice to know that even as I grow older there is still so much to learn !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I've come across people who didn't know that while it's easy to unlock the driver's door with the button on the key fob, they didn't know that the all the other doors can be unlocked, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

When I was young, I was sharing my history skills with my grandmother - told her that I was born when Eisenhower was president. I asked her who was president when she was born - she said Roosevelt. I said wow - that's a long time ago - being born during one of FDR"S terms. She said no - she was born when Teddy was in office. That's when I knew she was old.

Another Teddy fact - I read that he was at the Abraham Lincoln funeral procession.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #37

I remember being in a very long discussion one evening around presidents.
Someone started the "Who was President when you were born?" thing, and it eventually got to "Who was Vice President?"

In my case, there was no Vice President. When Truman took over after FDR's death, there was no mechanism (at that time) to select a new Vice, so he went the rest of the term without one.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote