Join Early Retirement Today

My "I Was Not Aware of That Moment"
Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My "I Was Not Aware of That Moment"

Almost embarrassed to admit, I was not aware until watching the morning news that "Teddy Roosevelt" and "Franklin Roosevelt" are cousins.

I had always assumed they were totally separate and having the same name was use pure coincidence.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was aware of that, but I imagine we all have knowledge lapses in areas others might assume are common knowledge. Maybe you skipped school that day?

But this brings up an interesting issue. I sometimes get in trouble, as I've learned I really can't assume what someone does or does not know. But if I spell it out, I might get that "What, do you think I'm stupid?" look or comment. But then if I skip it, maybe they don't know and they don't get my point, or have to ask (and then I look like some kind of 'know-it-all' as I explain it). It seems like lose-lose.

An experience from a few years ago - DW was with one of the kids, and the kid parked the car. They called me and said they couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Here I'm figuring the lock is jammed up, something is over-riding the switch, all sorts of possibilities are going through my head. Then, timidly, I said "Did you try turning the steering whhel a little to the left and right while turning the key? Sometimes there's some pressure against it and it keeps the key from turning." - and then I grimaced while I expected the "What, do you think I'm stupid? Of course I tried that!", but no, I hear "Hey! That did it!".

I couldn't believe a driver wouldn't know that, but you never know what others don't know.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My "I was not aware of that" moment was while visiting relatives in Chicago. They were talking about how low water rates are where they live. I commented that they do get plenty of rain there.

My cousin said "well sure, plus water from the Lake" (meaning Lake Michigan). I asked if they had built a desalination plant somewhere?

I had no idea that the Great Lakes were freshwater.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm really looking forward to that PBS Roosevelt series. I always like Ken Burns work.

And, I also didn't know they were cousins, nor that Eleanor was Teddy's niece.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
And that Eleanor didn't have to change her name when she married because she already WAS a Roosevelt!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I'm really looking forward to that PBS Roosevelt series. I always like Ken Burns work.

Ken Burns was a guest of the CBS morning news and talked about the Roosevelt special which is how the subject came up mentioning that often Teddy and FDR are thought of separately coming from different parties.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone interested in Teddy Roosevelt should read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt and Theodore Rex, both written by Edmund Morris. If there was ever a true Renaissance Man, it was Teddy Roosevelt.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
....An experience from a few years ago - DW was with one of the kids, and the kid parked the car. They called me and said they couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Here I'm figuring the lock is jammed up, something is over-riding the switch, all sorts of possibilities are going through my head. Then, timidly, I said "Did you try turning the steering whhel a little to the left and right while turning the key? Sometimes there's some pressure against it and it keeps the key from turning." - and then I grimaced while I expected the "What, do you think I'm stupid? Of course I tried that!", but no, I hear "Hey! That did it!". ...
DD did the exact thing as a novice driver on her first day with her car.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
....I had no idea that the Great Lakes were freshwater.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Plus

John Quincy Adams was the son of John Adams
Benjamin Harrison was a grandson of William Henry Harrison

and of course everyone should know that: George W. Bush is the son of George H Bush

I've read that several others are related (distantly) by blood and some by marriage.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I was aware of that, but I imagine we all have knowledge lapses in areas others might assume are common knowledge. Maybe you skipped school that day?

The Roosevelts are pretty much before my time. All I remember in class about FDR and The New Deal. Teddy and The Rough Riders.

Watching news last night, there was a mention that the kids starting college now, when 9/11 happened, they were in kindergarten.

Think about all the facts we assume and this generation is probably not aware of.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My "I was not aware of that" moment was while visiting relatives in Chicago. They were talking about how low water rates are where they live. I commented that they do get plenty of rain there.

My cousin said "well sure, plus water from the Lake" (meaning Lake Michigan). I asked if they had built a desalination plant somewhere?

Is it true that the Great Lakes supply about 90% of the drinking water of the country?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The Roosevelts are pretty much before my time. All I remember in class about FDR and The New Deal. Teddy and The Rough Riders.

Watching news last night, there was a mention that the kids starting college now, when 9/11 happened, they were in kindergarten.

Think about all the facts we assume and this generation is probably not aware of.
Yep. I always thought that recent history was overlooked in school. It was like they hadn't got around to writing the textbooks yet, or it was too recent to be looked at independently. But I think we learned up through WWII, and that was it. So there was a big gap in my 50's and early 60's knowledge. Adults assumed we knew it, because they lived it?

My oldest son can already tell 'luxury' stories to the younger generation. 'We used to stand at the bus stop, we needed a jacket with big pockets to hold our CD player (look it up!), that held one disk, with maybe 10 songs on it. If you wanted another 10 songs, you had to stop, open the cover, replace the disk with another from a separate case you carried. And then you could only listen to those ten songs, if the batteries held out that long, driving an actual physical motor. You kids have it so good with your fancy flash drives!

-ERD50
Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

Someone mentioned on another thread that Switzerland is a direct democracy with an essentially weak federal government.

I always assumed:

1) That the way they kept the Cantons together to be Switzerland was by having a powerful central government that the "tribes" at some point hundreds of years ago agreed to acquiese to

2) Were just as densely bureaucratic and -full of government- as it were, as every other society in Europe
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

But this brings up an interesting issue. I sometimes get in trouble, as I've learned I really can't assume what someone does or does not know. But if I spell it out, I might get that "What, do you think I'm stupid?" look or comment. But then if I skip it, maybe they don't know and they don't get my point, or have to ask (and then I look like some kind of 'know-it-all' as I explain it). It seems like lose-lose.
This happens to me all the time.

Quote:
An experience from a few years ago - DW was with one of the kids, and the kid parked the car. They called me and said they couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition. Here I'm figuring the lock is jammed up, something is over-riding the switch, all sorts of possibilities are going through my head. Then, timidly, I said "Did you try turning the steering whhel a little to the left and right while turning the key? Sometimes there's some pressure against it and it keeps the key from turning." - and then I grimaced while I expected the "What, do you think I'm stupid? Of course I tried that!", but no, I hear "Hey! That did it!".

I couldn't believe a driver wouldn't know that, but you never know what others don't know.
I just realized that I don't think my two youngest kids (the youngest is 18) have ever driven a car that had a key that you put in the ignition. The cars they regularly drive both have the keyless operation.

Actually, I guess I take that back. They had driver's ed so probably they drove cars with a regular key. Not sure if they ever had to deal with the key themselves or not.

I also realize that while all I have is the fob that starts the car and there is no physical key that goes in the ignition (there is just a button in the car), DH and I still talk about the key to the car. He was driving my car somewhere tonight and came in and asked me for the key even though there isn't actually any physical key to put in the ignition. I wonder what the proper term really should be.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:

Been to Chicago once. From the shore it does look like a huge bay. But I did know it was fresh all along. An embarrassing moment for you, I'm sure. Oh well. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to delve a little more deeply than anyone cares into the Roosevelt trivia...
TR and FDR were cousins, yes, but each subscribed to a different pronunciation of the family name. Teddy pronounced the "oo" sound, just like it was spelled, but FDR elected to use the long "o" as in "rose".
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is it true that the Great Lakes supply about 90% of the drinking water of the country?
Geographically, I can't believe that (I have not done 'net research, though). Here in Texas, we get our water from subsurface aquifers and large lakes. (and we know how BIG Texas is )
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe this is what you are thinking of (from wiki):

Quote:
they form the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth, containing 21% of the world's surface fresh water and 54% of the world's liquid fresh water by volume.
But also....

Quote:
The Great Lakes are used to supply drinking water to tens of millions of people in bordering areas.
So I don't think the 'tens' of millions is a big % of the country.

-ERD50
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Glad you looked it up. I was too lazy to

Don't know where I heard the 90% from.