Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My intruder in my garden
Old 06-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My intruder in my garden

Ok, help me out here. I have a bandit going into my garden and causing destruction. He is really stepping it up the past week, not only does he eat the tops off flowers, but he is totally removing the plant from the garden. So far he has taken out marigolds, petunias as well as African daisies. Fortunately he has left the larger lavender bushes alone.

Creatures I have seen/know of inhabiting our back garden include squirrels, gophers and the rabbit from next door.

The little buggar came last night and ripped open a can of seeds and left a trail of silver slobber. I'm assuming rabbits wouldn't have the dexerity to tear a can but then again I am not an expert on wildlife.

So does that sound like any of the creatures I have identified or would you suspect something else? We live in an urban area so know it is nothing like deer.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Most likely squirrels. They dug up my neighbor's flowers and ate some of mine. They were making serious progress at chewing their way into the plastic tubs filled with bird food. They also chew holes in screens.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Get a havahart live trap and trap the critters and take it for a ride out the the country.

Jim
Old 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #4

Here's me thinking these cute furry little things were my friends as I gazed at them adoringly. No point trapping them as there are tons of them living in the trees in our garden. Guess I just have to deal with them taking my plants. Hopefully they leave the bigger ones alone.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Here's me thinking these cute furry little things were my friends as I gazed at them adoringly. No point trapping them as there are tons of them living in the trees in our garden. Guess I just have to deal with them taking my plants. Hopefully they leave the bigger ones alone.

Can you build chicken wire enclosures around plants?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe it's MikeD's raccoon....

It's strange, but I've never had problems with squirrels eating my plants and flowers, and we have plenty of them here.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Maybe it's MikeD's raccoon....

It's strange, but I've never had problems with squirrels eating my plants and flowers, and we have plenty of them here.
In 2007, squirrels decided bamboo was edible.
2008, geraniums.
I think my yard has been featured in "Squirrel Gourmet:.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #8

Garden intruders

I guess I'm lucky. I get a few chipmunks nibbling the hostas but mostly I am visited by mallard ducks.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #9

Nah, will let it be. I guess I can plant it and they will come. Squirrels stealing my plants isn't the end of the world. I just know to limit my efforts taking into account the banditos living the 'hood.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

DH is trying cayenne pepper sprinkled directly on/around the bunnies' favorite plants. I don't know if it works, but he's trying it and it shouldn't hurt the critters or the plants.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #11

Or you could just introduce them to your wombat!
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #12

DW uses a product called Liquid Fence to repel deer from her very extensive garden areas. The product says it is for deer and rabbits.
The stuff truly works on deer and apparently all others because we have had no damage this year and we are overrun with all forms of wildlife. Yes there is a deer watching me at this exact moment, but he is eating fescue and not going near the flowers.
The stuff costs $29 per gallon and I really can't say how long the can lasts. She treats the vegetation about every two weeks. Reasonable amounts of rain do not seem to diminish the effectiveness.
Apparently the secret ingredient is putrified eggs--yes it smells just like it sounds.. She wears a mask when she sprays it and I grab a bottle of Land Shark and get far away--very far away. The strong smell only persists for an hour or so.
Worth a try..Beware of cheap imitations as they say.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

Creatures I have seen/know of inhabiting our back garden include squirrels, gophers and the rabbit from next door.

The little buggar came last night and ripped open a can of seeds and left a trail of silver slobber. I'm assuming rabbits wouldn't have the dexerity to tear a can but then again I am not an expert on wildlife.

So does that sound like any of the creatures I have identified or would you suspect something else? We live in an urban area so know it is nothing like deer.
If you are sure it happened at night, then I doubt it was a squirrel. A raccoon or an opossum is a more likely night raider. Squirrels (and chipmunks) are active in the daytime. Also, I hate to raise the issue, but rats and mice are more active at light. A slobbery mess: sounds like an opossum, but raccoons can be messy, too.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote