Join Early Retirement Today

My last day of w*ork
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My last day of w*ork

Hi all,

My last day of w*ork is this Friday. In my agency, most people send a goodbye e-mail out to everyone. I'm trying to think of what to say. While I'm very happy to get away from several unpleasant people, I really do like most of the people I w*ork with. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on what to write in my farewell e-mail.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm glad to be finally rid of some of you

Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People I've worked with, even when they are escaping horribly dysfunctional company politics or brutal inhuman bosses, always send a positive note about appreciated the chance to work with all of the great people and thanking everyone for a such a great opportunity. Then provide some contact info for anyone who wants to stay in touch.

In most fields, it's remarkable how often paths may cross again in the future. Best to be positive and not become known as the infamous flamer who sent a few zingers as you were going out the door.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hi all,
My last day of w*ork is this Friday. In my agency, most people send a goodbye e-mail out to everyone. I'm trying to think of what to say. While I'm very happy to get away from several unpleasant people, I really do like most of the people I w*ork with. I would appreciate any thoughts you have on what to write in my farewell e-mail.
(Edited to add: By the way, CONGRATULATIONS! )

I would just say that your xx years with the Department of Whateveritis were interesting and rewarding, but that as eventually happens for everyone, your time has finally come to say good-bye. Say that you got to know many terrific people that you will miss. Include one brief sentence saying that you plan to spend more time with your family (or fishing, or climbing the Alps, or whatever), and that you will think of everyone often and that you will be sure to come back to visit now and then. Thank them all for enriching your life over the years.

In other words, don't write it for the unpleasant people. They don't deserve it. Write it with kindness, for those who will miss you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I would just say that your xx years with the Department of Whateveritis were interesting and rewarding, but that as eventually happens for everyone, your time has finally come to say good-bye. Say that you got to know many terrific people that you will miss. Include one brief sentence saying that you plan to spend more time with your family (or fishing, or climbing the Alps, or whatever), and that you will think of everyone often and that you will be sure to come back to visit now and then. Thank them all for enriching your life over the years.

In other words, don't write it for the unpleasant people. They don't deserve it. Write it with kindness, for those who will miss you.
Well put! I agree...and include an email address or other contact info if you'd like to hear from any of these folks in the future!

Then, have fun as you start the rest of your life! And welcome to the "other side!"
Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM   #6

When I left work, I only send emails to those whom I really had something to say. Mostly, it was thanking them for help in my career. The rest...well, I didn't plan on seeing them again.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
When I left work, I only send emails to those whom I really had something to say. Mostly, it was thanking them for help in my career. The rest...well, I didn't plan on seeing them again.
Me too.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations on your last day of w**k!

I would keep all parting comments on the positive side. Look at it this way; "you will be remembered by those comments". How do you see yourself being remembered by those whom you have spent many years working with?
I say "best to be remembered as the nice person that you are". You are leaving that atmosphere behind so nothing to be gained by you, or those remaining if you say something questionable. You most probably will see many of them in the future anyway, so no need to be concerned about past comments.
That is the final "promotion" of your career, so go out with Class!