Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This should be a "Dad" story. My father used to joke about he was the only one in the family without an advanced degree (true).

Then he'd sit back and say, "But I made all the money".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof12 View Post
I have a doctorate in educational administration from a fine (and accredited) university. I earned it over 30 years ago, and it meant something to me as a personal and professional accomplishment. People used it as a sign of respect and I never corrected those who used "Mr." instead. Some of my colleagues and fellow classmates were livid and refused to acknowledge people, if they were not called "Dr.".

I could care less about using "Dr." and, in fact, try to avoid it with tradesmen and repair people as the term usually increases the price for services since they think I'm a rich physician instead of a poor educator!!!!!
prof12

Appears to me then that you are deserving of being called "Dr.". In my area, the ones who needed to be called it were the ones least deserving and most insecure. I worked for some good superintendents and I would let them have it with their "Dr." title. Amongst other cheap shots I would occasionally walk into a meeting complaining about my hip or back then asking "Dr." for a script. Only to quickly say, "I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you are not a real doctor".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a doctorate in educational administration from a fine (and accredited) university. I earned it over 30 years ago, and it meant something to me as a personal and professional accomplishment. People used it as a sign of respect and I never corrected those who used "Mr." instead. Some of my colleagues and fellow classmates were livid and refused to acknowledge people, if they were not called "Dr.".

I could care less about using "Dr." and, in fact, try to avoid it with tradesmen and repair people as the term usually increases the price for services since they think I'm a rich physician instead of a poor educator!!!!!
prof12
Good job prof12! I can't stand referring to academic PHd's as "Dr." I did it decades ago as a student rather than face the crap the ego-freaks would have rained down on me. But today, no way, not even when asked to in formal circumstances.

I even refer to my MD by his first name. He's 20 yrs younger than me and likely hasn't accomplished as much as I in life. And he's never flinched when I've done so. I do allow him to refer to me by my first name as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

prof12

I am glad you are taking this thread well . I meant no disrespect to poor professors or rich physicians. I just think that trying to force someone you never met to address you as Dr (no matter what the circumstance is) is somewhat out of line in this day and age (AND in Northern California). If it were between patients and physicians, professors and students/colleagues, I wouldn't think anything of it.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I am glad you are taking this thread well . I meant no disrespect to poor professors or rich physicians. I just think that trying to force someone you never met to address you as Dr (no matter what the circumstance is) is somewhat out of line in this day and age (AND in Northern California). If it were between patients and physicians, professors and students/colleagues, I wouldn't think anything of it.
What about rich professors or poor physicians? They do exist, you know.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Good job prof12! I can't stand referring to academic PHd's as "Dr." I did it decades ago as a student rather than face the crap the ego-freaks would have rained down on me. But today, no way, not even when asked to in formal circumstances.

I even refer to my MD by his first name. He's 20 yrs younger than me and likely hasn't accomplished as much as I in life. And he's never flinched when I've done so. I do allow him to refer to me by my first name as well.

The majority of the PHD programs in my area are just a diploma mill. A few are rigorous but most people avoid those, because all they really wanted was the title. I also had a couple good friends who had their admin. doctorate, but were still teaching under me. I would let them have it. At the lunch table I would say occasionally "You two are obviously smarter than me because you have your doctorates, as I only have a masters. But yet I am your boss and make twice as much as you both do, and don't have a $30,000 student loan...Wait maybe I am smarter than both of you!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeplus View Post
Sounds like ego to me.....did you ask if he was a Proctologist??
He probably was not a proctologist... but it sounds like he needs one to help him get his head out of his ass.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM   #28

This Dr. business can backfire. I worked with a man with a PhD in Geology, and one time in the 1970's he went somewhere in Mexico to look at rocks. His secretary made him hotel reservations in a little town, and use Dr. in his name as he preferred that. When he arrived at this hotel, apparently, according to him, there was a line of people with children waiting at the hotel for a medical doctor.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Meadbh--

Not in my world they don't!!!!!! :-)
prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

What a jackwagon.

DW and I have 3 master's from name brand (and stoopidly expensive) schools and an alphabet's worth of letters after our names. I very much do not want to be recognized for any of that crap. It is my fervent hope that when I hop out of the truck in my thrift shop clothes and 3 days' worth of beard growth you would only respect me for what I say and do.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What about rich professors or poor physicians?
Really? Are they real doctors?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, how about this: female family doctor working part time at a clinic for $45k per annum. I met her 10 years ago, but still.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It's my understanding she is. So she'd know. More than me, anyway.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Mister... If it's good enough for a president, it's good enough for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Mister... If it's good enough for a president, it's good enough for me.
So if a MD or PhD was elected president, would he be called Mr. President or Dr. President?

I googled it and found out that Woodrow Wilson had a PhD but was always referred to as Mr. President.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I bet she'd be called Ms. President while in office. Dr. (whatever) thereafter.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I had looked into this before as my Son earned his Doctor of Pharmacy degree, and I was just curious. It seems that the most unbiased sources would say that anyone who earns a Doctorate degree of any kind has earned the use of the title of "Doctor". Of course, when/where the title should be used was a lot more subjective. But it seemed that it was generally accepted that in formal settings within that profession, say presenting a paper at a conference, any person holding a Doctorate degree in that field would be introduced as 'Doctor' so-and-so.

But when I read discussions of the topic on Medical Doctor oriented sites, there seemed to be a much stronger feeling that the term "Doctor" only applies to Medical Doctors. And that it be used in just about all settings. I do recall being at a wedding and sitting near an MD, and when another relative was introduced as "Doctor", the MD scowled, mumbled something about 'not a real Doctor, he's got a Doctorate in Psychology....'.

I know very little about PhD's, but I know there are MDs, there are PhDs, and there are what are called 'professional degrees', like my son's PharmD or a Physical Therapist (DPT).

I'd be tempted to reply to any MD that made a stink about this to a PhD - "Did you need to present a dissertation of original research, and defend that work to a panel of experts in the field, like this Doctor?". For me, that has always been a very impressive milestone for a PhD. AFAIK, that is not required of an MD or a 'professional degreed' Doctorate.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I meant to add - I also tend to call my Dentist "Doctor" when he enters after the hygienist has done her thing. No big deal, he's a down-to-earth guy, not pretentious at all. But he is a Doctor of Dentistry, so why not?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I meant to add - I also tend to call my Dentist "Doctor" when he enters after the hygienist has done her thing. No big deal, he's a down-to-earth guy, not pretentious at all. But he is a Doctor of Dentistry, so why not?

-ERD50
Actually, sounds better than "Good afternoon, Dentist Jones."
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been around two people that preferred to be addressed as "doctor". One was a slimy little schemer at a former IT startup that did everything he could to make himself look more important. He even had them reprint his business cards to add "Ph.D." after his name. He was a worker bee, but he started referring to himself as an officer of the company (like "Chief so-and-so Officer") and even gave an interview with some IT journal as such. I was surprised he didn't get fired for that. He's probably slimed his way through life using similar tactics since then, I lost track of him.

The other was a chiropractor I used for several years. She insisted on being address as "Dr <her first name>" even in social settings. Now, as a chiropractor she was brilliant. But outside of her profession, she was insufferable. I remember going out to dinner one time with her and her (now ex) husband, and I distinctly remember she complained about, and had sent back to the kitchen, almost everything they brought out. It wasn't done enough, or was overdone, or etc etc etc. I almost suspect she was doing it to act like a big-shot, as there wasn't anything wrong with the food.

So, based on these experiences, I've come to the conclusion that anybody who insists on being addressed as "doctor" is an insecure little sh!t.

I address people as "doctor" as a sign of respect if I know they have a medical or doctoral degree, and if they're deserving of that respect. I would have continued to address that guy at the gold course as "mister" several more times just to piss him off.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote