Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

James Randi at Caltech, elaborating on transfomation of ordinary humans to Phd.

uF-G88BGc
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Did he think you mistook him for a D.C.?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Did he think you mistook him for a D.C.?
I doubt he claims to be a Doctor of Chiropractic.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The doctors in our family (medical & veterinary) do not use "Doctor" in social situations. Too many people want them to diagnose their health problems or their pets. lol
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Some of the PhD's on the floor were livid when there business card only had their name on it. So much so, that some of them bought there own business cards at Kinko's in order to get their PhD title on the card.

Heh, I probably would have trooped down to Kinko's right along with them.

While I wasn't one to fling the Dr. title around, especially in social settings, I worked long & hard for my Ph.D. and I'd darn well expect to have it on my workplace business card (assuming the degree was relevant to the line of work).
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
When your chubby-fingered proctologist is looking around for your prostate, and you would like him not to be so stingy with the KY jelly, would you rather address him as "Dr. Jones", or address him only by his first name as you plead, "We need more KY, Troy."

Makes me "pucker" just thinking about it.

Dr. Joseph Dolan: Drop your shorts and bend over.

Fletch: No...we don't have to, I mean, maybe I just haven't been doing enough calisthenics...you know, my kidneys feel a lot better now, maybe if I just bent over like this every morning......

[Dolan inserts his finger into Fletch's anus with an audible "pop" sound]
Fletch: [singing] Moon River......[talking] Whew...ever serve time, Doc?

Dr. Joseph Dolan: Breathe easy.

Fletch: Yeah...breathe easy... Ahh!! Using the whole fist, Doc?!
[After the proctological exam]
Dr. Joseph Dolan: Well, I can't seem to find anything wrong with you, Mr. Babar.

Fletch: Well, I'm sure it's not for a lack of looking.
Pleeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I was at ARCO in the 1980s and the company was going through a "downsizing", our department, Health Sciences, was full of PhD types. Management decided that, in order to re-evaluate everyone's positions, they would issue new business cards to all, and without titles, etc (just your name). (I know that sounds crazy..but it is true).

Some of the PhD's on the floor were livid when there business card only had their name on it. So much so, that some of them bought there own business cards at Kinko's in order to get their PhD title on the card.
My former employer decided (inexplicably) to start calling everyone not an officer "Associate" or "Senior Associate" regardless of what their real/former title was. The bulk of these people are Wall St. refugees and MBAs, letters after your name that are hard to get, etc. In the financial services industry and Associate is a person just about fit to fetch coffee. Management could not understand why the already low morale reached new depths.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I even refer to my MD by his first name. He's 20 yrs younger than me and likely hasn't accomplished as much as I in life. And he's never flinched when I've done so. I do allow him to refer to me by my first name as well.
Whenever I meet a MD in his examination room for the first time and he introduces himself as Dr. XXX instead of his first name, I rise, shake his hand and say. "Hello, Captain XXX, XXX Airline." They usually smile and get my drift.

Btw, I have never used "Captain" on the PA from the cockpit...oops, I mean flight deck.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
The other was a chiropractor I used for several years. She insisted on being address as "Dr <her first name>" even in social settings.
I had someone who worked for me who has like that. He was always correcting folks in the office (which by Megacorp rules was on a first name basis) who referred to him as "Tim" with "Dr. Tim". The first time I gave hm a written evaluation he refused to sign it until I changed all mentions of him name to include "Dr.". He was also the type who constantly gave complex explanations, and felt if you didn't understand him, that was your problem.

He had a brother in the same organization for a while, who was not a doctor, but just a great person - brilliant but humble, friendly, a great worker, always helping other, always getting compliments and recognition. This annoyed the crap out of Dr. Tim. The last conversation I had with him, he complained about the "disrespect" he as being shown because of the way folks treated his brother, "who didn't have an advanced degree". I bluntly told him "folks here don't care about degrees. They care about working with folks who make them feel comfortable and help them get things done. Think about it". His response was "they're idiots". He quit soon after that. Good riddance.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:58 AM   #71

My name is Jones. Dr. Jones.

Ego. Not worth it. Life is too short for that type of thing.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I had someone who worked for me who has like that. He was always correcting folks in the office (which by Megacorp rules was on a first name basis) who referred to him as "Tim" with "Dr. Tim". The first time I gave hm a written evaluation he refused to sign it until I changed all mentions of him name to include "Dr.". He was also the type who constantly gave complex explanations, and felt if you didn't understand him, that was your problem.

He had a brother in the same organization for a while, who was not a doctor, but just a great person - brilliant but humble, friendly, a great worker, always helping other, always getting compliments and recognition. This annoyed the crap out of Dr. Tim. The last conversation I had with him, he complained about the "disrespect" he as being shown because of the way folks treated his brother, "who didn't have an advanced degree". I bluntly told him "folks here don't care about degrees. They care about working with folks who make them feel comfortable and help them get things done. Think about it". His response was "they're idiots". He quit soon after that. Good riddance.
Was his brother older? Just curious.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Was his brother older? Just curious.
Actually, his brother was younger, which added to the issue. "Dr. Tim" thought he should be given more respect than his younger brother, as he was the "elder" brother.