My name is Jones. Dr. Jones.

I worked at a non-medical academic place, gave talks, wrote papers, directed grad students, and served on committees. I was frequently referred to as "Dr." (which I'm not!).

It made me a little embarrassed. But a little proud, too :) If they seemed nice, I'd clarify.

I know two optometrists (not ophthalmologists) who were getting married and insisted their wedding invitations include Dr. before both of their names. I did an eye roll at that one.

In Germany someone with two PhDs could be a Herr Professor Doktor Doktor. However, Angela Merkel, who has a PhD, doesn't need such a title. We all know who she is.

I know a Canadian medical doctor who later did a PhD. She never expected to be called Doctor Doctor.

What would you call the late Elizabeth Taylor? Mrs Mrs Mrs Mrs Mrs Mrs Mrs Mrs?

Last edited:
I know two optometrists (not ophthalmologists) who were getting married and insisted their wedding invitations include Dr. before both of their names. I did an eye roll at that one.
I imagine they see eye to eye on family and work related matters.

This reminds me of Bob Dyan's Gotta Serve Somebody lyric, especially the quoted below:

" ...
You might be a rock ’n’ roll addict prancing on the stage
You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage
You may be a businessman or some high-degree thief
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody
..."

... So, using a famous Illinois lawyer as an example, it would be Rod Blagojevich, Esq. Until now, I would have used Rod Blagojevich, CP. Who knew?

Gosh, titles are fun!

I think a lot of people would have used some more 'colorful' initials to connect to Blogo!

Some years ago, on a business visit to Mexico, I discovered that it is common for professionals to distribute business cards in personal situations. ....)
Not much different from contemporary US. ....
Not only does it place a person as to probable income, lifestyle, and education, but there is at least some chance of avoiding axe-murderers.

Ha

Well, unless their business card says "Ax Murderer"! ;)

I imagine they see eye to eye on family and work related matters.

:LOL: You beat REWahoo to it!

This reminds me of Bob Dyan's Gotta Serve Somebody lyric, especially the quoted below:

" ...
You might be a rock ’n’ roll addict prancing on the stage
You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage
You may be a businessman or some high-degree thief
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody
..."

Not to side track too much, but.... I'm familiar with the song, but that excerpt got me to read the entire lyric. Interesting, the only choice he offers is the devil or the Lord. Some really fine lyrics, IMO, it's up there with his early works.

-ERD50

Sounds like ego to me.....did you ask if he was a Proctologist?? :)

When your chubby-fingered proctologist is looking around for your prostate, and you would like him not to be so stingy with the KY jelly, would you rather address him as "Dr. Jones", or address him only by his first name as you plead, "We need more KY, Troy."

Kaffee: Is this funny, sir?

Col. Jessup: [face falls to a look of disgust] No, it isn't. It's tragic.

Kaffee: Do you have an answer to the question, Colonel?

Col. Jessup: Absolutely. My answer is I don't have the first damn clue. Maybe he was an early riser and liked to pack in the morning. And maybe he didn't have any friends. I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the travel habits of William Santiago. What I do know is that he was set to leave the base at 0600. Now, are these the questions I was really called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill.

Col. Jessup: Do you have any more questions for me, Counselor?

Judge Randolph: Lt. Kaffee? [pause] Lieutenant, do you have anything further for this witness?

[Jessup defiantly gets up to leave the courtroom]

Col. Jessup: Thanks, Danny. I love Washington.

Kaffee: Excuse me. I didn't dismiss you.

Col. Jessup: I beg your pardon?

Kaffee: I'm not through with my examination. Sit down.

Col. Jessup: Colonel.

Kaffee: What's that?

Col. Jessup: I would appreciate it if he would address me as "Colonel" or "Sir." I believe I've earned it.

Judge Randolph: Defense counsel will address the witness as "Colonel" or "Sir."

Col. Jessup: [to Judge] I don't know what the hell kind of unit you're running here.

Judge Randolph: And the witness will address this court as "Judge" or "Your Honor." I'm quite certain I've earned it. Take your seat, Colonel.

When I was at ARCO in the 1980s and the company was going through a "downsizing", our department, Health Sciences, was full of PhD types. Management decided that, in order to re-evaluate everyone's positions, they would issue new business cards to all, and without titles, etc (just your name). (I know that sounds crazy..but it is true).

Some of the PhD's on the floor were livid when there business card only had their name on it. So much so, that some of them bought there own business cards at Kinko's in order to get their PhD title on the card. :LOL:

James Randi at Caltech, elaborating on transfomation of ordinary humans to Phd.

The doctors in our family (medical & veterinary) do not use "Doctor" in social situations. Too many people want them to diagnose their health problems or their pets. lol

Some of the PhD's on the floor were livid when there business card only had their name on it. So much so, that some of them bought there own business cards at Kinko's in order to get their PhD title on the card. :LOL:

Heh, I probably would have trooped down to Kinko's right along with them.

While I wasn't one to fling the Dr. title around, especially in social settings, I worked long & hard for my Ph.D. and I'd darn well expect to have it on my workplace business card (assuming the degree was relevant to the line of work).

When your chubby-fingered proctologist is looking around for your prostate, and you would like him not to be so stingy with the KY jelly, would you rather address him as "Dr. Jones", or address him only by his first name as you plead, "We need more KY, Troy."

Makes me "pucker" just thinking about it.

Dr. Joseph Dolan: Drop your shorts and bend over.

Fletch: No...we don't have to, I mean, maybe I just haven't been doing enough calisthenics...you know, my kidneys feel a lot better now, maybe if I just bent over like this every morning......

[Dolan inserts his finger into Fletch's anus with an audible "pop" sound]
Fletch: [singing] Moon River......[talking] Whew...ever serve time, Doc?

Dr. Joseph Dolan: Breathe easy.

Fletch: Yeah...breathe easy... Ahh!! Using the whole fist, Doc?!
[After the proctological exam]
Dr. Joseph Dolan: Well, I can't seem to find anything wrong with you, Mr. Babar.

Fletch: Well, I'm sure it's not for a lack of looking.

When I was at ARCO in the 1980s and the company was going through a "downsizing", our department, Health Sciences, was full of PhD types. Management decided that, in order to re-evaluate everyone's positions, they would issue new business cards to all, and without titles, etc (just your name). (I know that sounds crazy..but it is true).

My former employer decided (inexplicably) to start calling everyone not an officer "Associate" or "Senior Associate" regardless of what their real/former title was. The bulk of these people are Wall St. refugees and MBAs, letters after your name that are hard to get, etc. In the financial services industry and Associate is a person just about fit to fetch coffee. Management could not understand why the already low morale reached new depths.

I even refer to my MD by his first name. He's 20 yrs younger than me and likely hasn't accomplished as much as I in life. And he's never flinched when I've done so. I do allow him to refer to me by my first name as well.

Whenever I meet a MD in his examination room for the first time and he introduces himself as Dr. XXX instead of his first name, I rise, shake his hand and say. "Hello, Captain XXX, XXX Airline." They usually smile and get my drift.

Btw, I have never used "Captain" on the PA from the cockpit...oops, I mean flight deck.

Indiana_Jones.jpg

The other was a chiropractor I used for several years. She insisted on being address as "Dr <her first name>" even in social settings.

I had someone who worked for me who has like that. He was always correcting folks in the office (which by Megacorp rules was on a first name basis) who referred to him as "Tim" with "Dr. Tim". The first time I gave hm a written evaluation he refused to sign it until I changed all mentions of him name to include "Dr.". He was also the type who constantly gave complex explanations, and felt if you didn't understand him, that was your problem.

He had a brother in the same organization for a while, who was not a doctor, but just a great person - brilliant but humble, friendly, a great worker, always helping other, always getting compliments and recognition. This annoyed the crap out of Dr. Tim. The last conversation I had with him, he complained about the "disrespect" he as being shown because of the way folks treated his brother, "who didn't have an advanced degree". I bluntly told him "folks here don't care about degrees. They care about working with folks who make them feel comfortable and help them get things done. Think about it". His response was "they're idiots". He quit soon after that. Good riddance.

I had someone who worked for me who has like that. He was always correcting folks in the office (which by Megacorp rules was on a first name basis) who referred to him as "Tim" with "Dr. Tim". The first time I gave hm a written evaluation he refused to sign it until I changed all mentions of him name to include "Dr.". He was also the type who constantly gave complex explanations, and felt if you didn't understand him, that was your problem.

He had a brother in the same organization for a while, who was not a doctor, but just a great person - brilliant but humble, friendly, a great worker, always helping other, always getting compliments and recognition. This annoyed the crap out of Dr. Tim. The last conversation I had with him, he complained about the "disrespect" he as being shown because of the way folks treated his brother, "who didn't have an advanced degree". I bluntly told him "folks here don't care about degrees. They care about working with folks who make them feel comfortable and help them get things done. Think about it". His response was "they're idiots". He quit soon after that. Good riddance.

Was his brother older? Just curious.

Was his brother older? Just curious.

Actually, his brother was younger, which added to the issue. "Dr. Tim" thought he should be given more respect than his younger brother, as he was the "elder" brother.

Back
Top Bottom