Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recall telling a boss to stop attempting to "develop me." I was sick of his buzzword bingo.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Putting things in perspective. The closer you are to your FIRE date, the more humorous your new manager's Type A personality seems .
I manage projects for a living. My boss typically tries to do 'project reviews' every quarter to review project financials and technical issues.

Last time I did these was about 10 months ago. I think my belligerant, non-cooperative, I don't give a ___ attitude must have come through a little too clearly....they trust my work and haven't asked me back!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
I recall telling a boss to stop attempting to "develop me." I was sick of his buzzword bingo.
What happened after that?
Old 10-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I remember the time we had 90% market share in our niche. Then we were asked to increase sales by 2-fold (or was it 5-fold). I just laughed and told the CEO it wasn't going to happen. And it didn't happen.

But the OP should use this opportunity to learn from the new manager. The OP should get the new manager to tell him how all the other reps and their sales territories are doing and what the best practices are and what really works. I suspect the OP won't have to talk much at all except for a few well-placed questions.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
From MRG: Leave when you want. If you are good in March, you're good now.

+1. If you are sticking around for a year end bonus, etc don't overvalue it. If you're good and your sh!t filter is full, just go.
That was why I left on 21 January, right after my7% profit sharing was deposited to my 401K. On 23 January we were on a plane to South America
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of watching my mailman being followed one day on his walking route by a supervisor. Slowly walking, no cutting across lawns like usual, every move slow and robotic - it was a stitch watching him jerk this guy around.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I like the responses you've received. Everyone has been in your position before in business.

The question is whether you tell Type A what he wants to hear, or tell him the truth?
He doesn't want to be told the truth.

Take him out for a great lunch and expensive dinner on the expense account And take him to a hand picked client or two who love you. Present him with middle to high sales projections, and go about enjoying your day and the short time you have left.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #28

I had a sort of similar experience at megacorp. It was beginning of the year and everybody had to fill out their performance appraisal with goals and actions for the year. I was approx 6 months out from retiring, so I turned mine in with the same general corp BS that everyone had to have, and the only contribution from me stating "Retire in approx 6 months". I think my boss got the hint

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
You were expecting your "new" manager (who is making his mark) to perhaps call you and say hey we're going out Wednesday for beer & brats?
YES
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
gone traveling

Just did the annual forecast last week. Working with my inside team mate I could hear the you missed this you missed that.

Couldn't help laughing. I spent 5 minutes while drinking scotch the other night filling in the number 5-10% up. Same as I've done for 20 years but with much less stress.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Having been a VP of sales for years I can relate to the new boss.

Most of my sales guys were multi-millionaires but often slightly unhinged. I had a few who were nice guys but real psychos; guys with no brakes at all. One guy I was riding with deliberately rear-ended someone just for fun. Another picked me up at the airport with a dead deer he had run over sitting in the back seat...but the deer wasn't really dead and came back to life! I could write a book.

I'd play that role if I could: How cool would it be to very quietly--almost whisper --to him the first three minutes he gets into your car that: "I'm not going to do your stupid forecast; you do it. And if you pull rank on me, I'm going to drop you off at the first Holiday Inn I see." Could be great fun.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I remember the time we had 90% market share in our niche. Then we were asked to increase sales by 2-fold (or was it 5-fold). I just laughed and told the CEO it wasn't going to happen. And it didn't happen.

But the OP should use this opportunity to learn from the new manager. The OP should get the new manager to tell him how all the other reps and their sales territories are doing and what the best practices are and what really works. I suspect the OP won't have to talk much at all except for a few well-placed questions.
Good advice.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello everyone....just finishing a glass of Pinot Noir. Might pour another.

Reading your great and amazing comments while emailing him our schedule for Wednesday. Doing a morning fruit and veggie tray in the break room of my favorite endocrinologist office. The rest of the day is bla...with all of my providers off on Wednesday.

If he’s friendly, I’ll be super friendly. If he’s a jerk, hummm, I might go postal!

Tomorrow I shall hang around the house and do my analysis......anal...ysis.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Having been a VP of sales for years I can relate to the new boss.

Another picked me up at the airport with a dead deer he had run over sitting in the back seat...but the deer wasn't really dead and came back to life!
Tommy Boy!

You want a "guarantee"? Not on the box...

Old 10-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post

After thirty-one “performance reviews”, my answer to “Where do you see yourself in five years?” was “The f*** out of here!”...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Tell him if you can’t triple sales by year end he’ll have your resignation in Q1.

Seriously I had to do this and I lined up two good clients that understood what I needed and were happy to cooperate. The boss came down with a bad back and couldn’t make the calls I had lined up.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #37

Quote:
“My name is XXX and I will be in the field with you all day on Wednesday. We will review your sales numbers. I want to see your action plan for finishing the year strong and a complete territory analysis."

Perhaps, in the most dead pan voice that you can muster, tell the new boss:
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Perhaps followed up at some point by:

"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

Obviously not a serious suggestion, but fun to fantasize about.

edit: After reading Marko's post above (#31), about the off-kilter sales guys , maybe this wouldn't be so far fetched. LOL
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Is there any chance you can install gopro and play us back the best moments?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

If he's much younger than you, I'd add the word "Sonny" to the comments above. As in "I'm not going to do that, sonny".
Old 10-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #40
gone traveling

Rather than let him get to you, I'd just smile, humor him and nod your head until your ready to say bye bye.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote