Join Early Retirement Today

My newest business idea....already in motion...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My newest business idea....already in motion...

Well, let's see. I've bought and sold (aka FLIPPED) drugs, stolen goods, air filters (currently still do!), homes....so what about cars?

I love cars,and am somewhat mechanically inclined, if someone provides directions. Well...I decided to go for it- PICS BELOW

I allotted myself $3k to find a nice beater (hows that for an oxymoron) , maybe do some work to (MAYBE), and sell for a profit.

Today I spent $2400 out the door, inlcuding tax. Below are some pics of the 1994 Chevy 1500 Cheyenne, auto, 84k mi, v8, long bed, bedliner, clean interior, no mechanical flaws. Severals pots of rust, like all the others, on the rockers, fender wells, and tailgate. Some I can fix easily over a few days, others need more extensive work. I plan to put up to $150 into this thing to spruce it up, including a new tailgate cap (will cover up some flaking paint at top of tailgate), spray painting some engine parts balck like the air cleaner and others that are spotted rusty, new brake bulb, and the body work. The cap's gotta go too! I can solve the rust issues on the front fender lip...the rear quarter panel, and maybe part of the lower tailgate. the other ones are too involved.

I intend to list it for about $3500,and will take as little as $3k, as long as I dont haave more than 2600 in it. Most comparable trucks in my area sell for $3500 - if it had 4x4 - $4500 or more, and of course more for king cab.The ad on autotrader.com as well as their magazine is $70 til it sells.

My intentions are to set this $$ aside with the $50/week I've been saving for daddy's new truck. I have always wanted a newer-model, Chevy, 4x4, king cab, big honkin tires, V8 truck! you know...one too nice to get dirty. I figure i need $10k for the one i want...so I've got about $8k to go :-)

wish me luck!

thefed17/1994 Chevy 1500 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
Fed,

if you enjoy working on old cars, why not do something related to that? seems a much less complicated route...although i don't know what the profit margins are in that line of work...if you can turn your hobby into a profitable business then it's a win-win for you...

you're already familiar w/ providing service, you could just fix up others cars...then add the parts side of the equation...
eh hm...

Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
eh hm...

why yes...i owe you a "thank you!" for that!

The day before you posted , my friend and I had a conversation on how we each had the desire to do such a thing....he said he was thinking of starting with a car that was gifted to him and trying to grow. I don't want to be in any more business relationship with him, so I kept quiet.

And then you you mentioned it....I decided I better give it a try!

WWish me luck!!

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #4

GOOOD LUCK!

At least your hobby can be tax deductible...
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like a good hobby!
ChemEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
(will cover up some flaking paint at top of tailgate), spray painting some engine parts balck like the air cleaner and others that are spotted rusty, new brake bulb, and the body work.
If you provide a value-added service (removing rust, repainting, etc.), I can understand a profit.

However, if you are merely covering up defects (spray-painting over rust anywhere in the engine compartment), that is, in my opinion, dishonest unless you fully disclose what you have done.
cho oyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho oyu View Post
However, if you are merely covering up defects (spray-painting over rust anywhere in the engine compartment), that is, in my opinion, dishonest unless you fully disclose what you have done.
Did you by any chance read the first sentence of his first post in this thread?

Ha
Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I'd prefer to give benefit of the doubt for the moment, be it warranted or not. It seems like the recent business endeavor (not this car thing) is off to a significantly different footing than some of the past exploits.

In general, one reaps what one sows. If someone lies, cheats, and steals, very few people who are honest, trustworthy, and sincere want to spend time around them. And if someone knows his compatriots are morally corrupt, I would think that life would be disturbingly stressful.
cho oyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #9

Quote:

Ha

what's that supposed to mean? seriously. im curious

FYI It's nearly impossible to 'remove' rust on a car/truck like this. However, it can be stopped and repaired, which I intend to do. Using the engine compartment parts as an example... the air cleaner will be removed, ground with a wire wheel (there goes the flaky rust!), primed, and sprayed black. I don't think that's dishonest...do you? Or the tailgate....sanded smooth, sprayed with rust inhibitor, primed, then covered back up with a new tailgate cap.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Well, let's see. I've bought and sold (aka FLIPPED) drugs, stolen goods.....
Well, were you kidding about this or were you serious?:confused:
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #11

serious. its part of my past...nothing i can do about it now except move on. I've paid my debt to society, so to speak
Old 10-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #12

Heh Fed, no biggie. Everyone has a few skeletons in the closet.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #13

Seems like every other thread that TheFed starts some passive aggressive a-hole comes out of the woodwork... Seriously, havent any of you seen the show "Weeds"....
maddythebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Seems like every other thread that TheFed starts some passive aggressive a-hole comes out of the woodwork...
Thanks, but you look like the passive aggressive one to me. And, FYI, I think your language highlighted in the quote above has been banned.

I don't care how many drugs he deals, though in general I have learned to avoid druggies and drug dealers active or (usually temporarily) inactive.

But I have had too many things stolen from me to look kindly on fences-even allegedly rehabilitated fences.

Ha
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #15

Quote:

But I have had too many things stolen from me to look kindly on fences-even allegedly rehabilitated fences.

Ha

Funny thing is....if you knew me in a world other than cyber-space, you could very well look kindly upon me and never know my past. Chances are good that your are blissfully unaware of somebody somewhere's past, yet you look kindly upon them now...and always will. Perhaps the realization that comes along with discovering who this person is will one day allow you to reconsider your convictions. Some people actually do rehabilitate...permanently.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Fed glad to hear that you did turn things around and have an entrepreneurial spirit.

While I can appreciate candor... sometimes, one can provide TMI. More that is necessary for the conversation. You lead-off is going to detract from the conversation you are trying to start.

Perhaps you wanted to illustrate a contrast in your life.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Heh Fed, no biggie. Everyone has a few skeletons in the closet.

Not me. Absolutely no skeletons. None. No Sir! Nada. Zip. Well....except for that one time...................

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Seems like every other thread that TheFed starts some passive aggressive a-hole comes out of the woodwork... Seriously, havent any of you seen the show "Weeds"....
Are you talkin to me?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Are you talkin to me?
This board is becoming more sanitized everyday..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #20

thefed, I was subpoenaed a couple of years ago to testify at the trial of a guy charged with operating as a automobile dealer without a license. I'd sold him a used car in what seemed to me was your basic private party transaction. I have no idea of how many vehicles he had to turn to get charged, but I mention it as a cautionary tale.

He ended up pleading guilty so I didn't testify.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote