Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
As an update, got my used Thinkpad laptop today and installed Linux (Peppermint OS) to use to remote to my home desktop.

I'm a happy camper . The extra resolution of this laptop makes all the difference in the world. Though the screen is smaller than my setup at home, text and graphics are quite legible when I connect to my home pc.

An added bonus is the keyboard on the old Thinkpad laptop have great feel and I can actually touch type, unlike my Dell which is a struggle.
If you don't mind me asking, which Thinkpad model did you get? Their Linux compatibility is usually pretty good.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where did you get your used laptop from? We're thinking about buying another one for my DW. Thanks.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
If you don't mind me asking, which Thinkpad model did you get? Their Linux compatibility is usually pretty good.
I don't mind at all. After doing some looking around, I ended up getting a used Thinkpad T420s for a little over $100 off ebay. Only has 2GB ram, 320 GB HD instead of SSD. But in the price range I was looking for and works well enough for my needs with Linux just to connect remotely.

The T420s does have a 16:9 screen ratio which some do not like. There's also a T420 model but most don't have the higher resolution which I needed for my old tired eyes .
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Where did you get your used laptop from? We're thinking about buying another one for my DW. Thanks.
I got mine off ebay from a place that sells recycled laptops and parts.

Here's one similar to the one I got:

Lenovo ThinkPad T420s Laptop w/ i5-2520@2.50GHz 2GB RAM 320GB TESTED #454 | eBay

If looking at ebay, be careful to read the details though as you might find one that looks good as for price, but then may have no HD or no OS or not working and for parts only.

Also, newegg has 3rd party sellers that sell refurbs if you don't want to go the ebay route:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1
Old 05-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I don't mind at all. After doing some looking around, I ended up getting a used Thinkpad T420s for a little over $100 off ebay. Only has 2GB ram, 320 GB HD instead of SSD. But in the price range I was looking for and works well enough for my needs with Linux just to connect remotely.

The T420s does have a 16:9 screen ratio which some do not like. There's also a T420 model but most don't have the higher resolution which I needed for my old tired eyes .
Thanks for the update, that should be a good machine. The T series is a real Thinkpad.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the update, that should be a good machine. The T series is a real Thinkpad.
You're welcome. From what I've read, I think the T420s is the last model from Lenovo that has the older fashioned (more standard feel) keyboard instead of the flatter type in most laptops. The latter models from what I've read/seen (youtube) still have nice keyboards but not as nice feel as the T420s and early.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's someone's video review about the T420s:

He talks positively about the screen and keyboard.

Another laptop that got my interest was a Dell precision workstation. I like how the back come off for easy access to all the parts. But, a laptop workstation is a bit overkill for my needs.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Re glasses, I have been wearing lined trifocals ("Executive" type name) for some time. I'm a pilot; the midrange focus is right for the instrument panel and the width of the correction section makes scanning much easier.

Evey time my prescription changes I order a bunch of Chinese single-vision glasses. I have mid-focus glasses on my two working/computer desks, and close-focus glasses sitting by my chair everywhere I normally read. I also have a pair of close-focus glasses in my travel kit. $25/pair is the high side of what I've paid, often I find BOGO offers that work because I am not fussy at all about the frames. Frame color codes are brown or gold for mid-focus and black for close-focus. YMMV, but it works for me.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Maybe this is off topic since we are discussion computer screens that are hard to read, but am I the only person who gets frustrated when important infromation (like the direction something should be pushed, pressed, installed etc) is written in raised black letters on a black object. Sometimes on an inside surface that doesn't get much light.

I have a blue tooth speaker this as very nice, but the button symbols are black on black. Thanfully, a silver marker fixed that problem. But, why in the world make it so hard to read in kthe first place?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Anyone buy one of the higher cost Kindles (or the Oasis) to make reading easier on old eyes?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #31

Yes. I bought the Kindle Voyage about 2 ˝ years ago and have used it constantly. Very readable in any light and easy to adjust the font and font size to your liking. Most highly recommended.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

A relevant article:

Kindle Voyage: With the best e-reader, old eyes can do new tricks | ZDNet
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #33

FWIW, I got the origami case for mine and I love it. Expensive but worth it IMHO.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wow!!! That is a great review, and almost persuaded me to replace my old keyboard Kindle.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I say for me, the biggest noticeable older age change is eyesight (difficulty looking at smaller print and objects). Second is hand steadiness. Now, sometimes a simple thing like using a small screwdriver on a tiny screw is a noticeable challenge compared to the past. Still okay, but noticeable.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #36

I just discovered that maxing the brightness on phone. I had some e tickets to a ball game and the reader was having trouble so the ticket taker says sometimes folks max out the brightness to make the reader work.I maxed it and the scanner worked like a charm. I liked it so much I have left it at max setting. It drains the battery at bit faster but i'm usually close to a charger
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking of getting the Kindle Oasis (physical page-turn buttons, lighter with clever weight distribution, more LEDs for lighting the screen), but if it isn't significantly better than reading on my Nexus 7, I'll return it.

And regarding eye strain:

A 2012 study named “Reading on LCD vs e-Ink displays: effects on fatigue and visual strain” looked at this exact issue. The researchers concluded that there was no difference between reading on an E Ink versus and LCD screen in terms of fatigue and visual strain.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Got the Oasis. It's a nice device, but my Nexus 7 is brighter and clearer. The photo isn't completely representative, but the Nexus wins:

Hmm.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #39

I don't know, I'm pretty happy with my PaperWhite. Nice kindle for the price.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Got the Oasis. It's a nice device, but my Nexus 7 is brighter and clearer. The photo isn't completely representative, but the Nexus wins:
FWIW, that Nexus sets a pretty high bar. As "old" as it is, the Nexus 7 (esp the "gen 2" version) has a >very< bright screen, there are few out there today that are as bright. Pilots who use a tablet to display navigation info in very bright cockpits still cherish them, and are really bummed out that the software has often gotten so "fat" that it won't run, or won't run well, on those sleek little Nexus 7s anymore.

I'm guessing that battery life has become the new holy spec, and now manufacturers don't want to put really strong backlights in their tablets because then they'd have to spend more and put in a bigger (heavier) battery to feed 'em.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote