My parents got me what??!! for my birthday - what are your almost on the mark gifts?

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Best of intentions from the parents - I am a book worm...so, they got me a Kindle. Dad has a Sony reader, and my brother has a Kindle - both enjoy their techno words. I tried it...does not bend, most books must be purchased (!), I might lose or break it, and there is no book sharing (yet).

I tend to read paperbacks curled up in bed on my side - and also tend to toss my (pre-owned and well read) books on the floor or nightstand, stuff it into an outside pocket of my luggage, leave them at airports or whever I finish the book, and swap out paperbooks at USOs. I'll even pay a quarter a book at yard sales (I prefer 10/$1 or fill a bag for a buck)...I get the pleasure of enjoying a wide variety of mostly fiction from most genres - it's what makes reading before bed enjoyable!

Well, I called Mom today to thank her profusely (again) and let her know I'd be returning it to Amazon for a gift card (not a clue what I'll get in its place) She took it well.

What well meaning - "almost on the mark" gifts have you received?

My So gave me a GPS twice . The first time was while we were going through a rough patch so I cried and returned it . Five years later he gave me another one that I love . So sometimes it is just the timing that is off !

Kenny G cd. Nowhere near my hard rock, psychedelic and heavy blues taste in music. I tried to listen to it a few times but... I get sleepy just thinking of it.

Kenny G cd. Nowhere near my hard rock, psychedelic and heavy blues taste in music. I tried to listen to it a few times but... I get sleepy just thinking of it.

It's painful just to read your post; a co-worker loaned me one once; I could not get through it.

I have always been a "hot natured" kinda guy....you know the kind....shirt
sleeves in Winter (OK....coats when it's REALLY cold)....

So for me it was what my DW and I now refer to as "The Sweater Christmas"
(NO....not "The Christmas Sweater" a book by some now famous pundit on FOX) when
EVERYONE....and I REALLY mean EVERYONE bought me a sweater for Christmas....

I think I got a dozen or so that year..... :ROFLMAO:

there is no book sharing (yet).

I know this isn't the point of your post and you are returning the Kindle for a variety of reasons but wanted to point this out in case anyone else reads this.

You *can* authorize multiple devices for your Kindle books. My DH and son I share books between us all the time. We each buy the books we individually want but enjoy being able to share them. This has resulted in all of us trying some authors we would not think to try and so on. I think you can authorize 6 devices.

(I realize this isn't the same as loaning to your friend but it works for us).

As far as not quite on the mark gifts, I collect Herend. One time my dad gave me a frog that was meant to look sort of like Herend. I say sort of because it had green fishnet and was a frog but had no other resemblance to Herend. Bluntly, it was cheap and looked it. Lord love my dad but he just couldn't see the difference. I kept that frog for years in my Herend cabinet and never said a negative word. In fact, I only got rid of it while recently downsizing (10 years after my father's death so didn't have to worry about hurting his feelings).

I see posts such as this and I think.....

My birthday is January 3rd. My parents never "celebrated" my birthday. I was told that it was "too close to Christmas" and I should not expect "extra presents".

Never celebrated a birthday. Never had a party or acknowledgment of the day.

Not to consider this a "pity party" but rather just to suggest that you be thankful for what you got (even though it may not have met your expectations).

After all these years (being that I'm in my 60's and my parents have long gone), it still causes a bit of a problem :whistle: ...

Yeah - it could be worse. My comment? Simply shut up and be happy. Your parents tried - that gives me a warm feeling, regardless of the gift involved.

I'm sure if you really needed an "alternative gift", you could go out and buy it on your own.

I assume you are an adult; please act as such...

Around the time I hit my 20s we started giving each other holiday cards, and no more present-guessing.

I see posts such as this and I think.....

My birthday is January 3rd. My parents never "celebrated" my birthday. I was told that it was "too close to Christmas" and I should not expect "extra presents".

Oh, I get this one. Our younger son's birthday is January 5th. We always made sure that his birthday was celebrated separate from any other holiday. Unfortunately, some of the rest of the family couldn't seem to think of early January as anything other than a recovery period from whatever they did for Christmas and he was often forgotten, or remembered a month later. Poor kid, often his birthday was one of the first days back at school, it's dark, it's cold. His older brother's birthday is in July, no school, fun things to do and no one ever forgot it.

He's 23 now and he's over it.

I assume you are an adult; please act as such...

This was simply a posting about well-intentioned gifts - many of us (especially in my family!) have had well-intentioned flops - my family members have all reacted this way regarding stuff we have exchanged - there is no malice or ungratefulness in this. We laugh about this kind of thing! :flowers:

My stepson's birthday is Dec. 20 - it was next to impossible to find a party location without Christmas decorations - but we did the best we could to make sure both he and his sister (Jan 8) had clearly defined birthday celebrations.

Our kid's birthday is Hallowe'en. Somehow we've managed to celebrate 17 of them without any party conflicts, even if we had to do everything twice.

Today she says "I love it when the whole country celebrates my birthday."

Never got a birthday present from my parents though I hope they will surprise me with one. Doubt that would happen. Something to do with my culture, I think - children should give and parents receive. Always give them birthday presents - even till today. From the implied messages I get - cash birthday presents are better than other well-intentioned gifts. If I do ever get a birthday present, I would like a piece of my mum's jewellery or my dad's watch.

Back
Top Bottom