My PM came back

My Dream

Full time employment: Posting here.
I finaly decided to figure out my log in problem and when I did I noticed that all my pm that I had deleted since I joined were back. I always thought that once they were deleted, they're gone for good. I'm really surprised that they were in limbo somewhere and not actually deleted for good.

Am I the only one that noticed that?

No, I brought it up several times but nobody commented on it or came up with an explanation.

To be honest, I was fairly displeased that deleted PM's were being kept in a repository somewhere.

I had around a thousand deleted messages going back to 2004 come back.

Whats worse is I had a hundred or so current messages I wanted to keep, but I wasnt able to send or receive any new PM's until I got my limit under 100.

That meant either deleting them all or manually deleting 900 or so, one at a time.

I didnt have time for the latter.

So I guess the take away is that if you want control over the duration and preservation limits...do it in email instead of a PM.

1000 pm's......Holly Molly. I couldn't think of that many pm's to send. That and the fact that nobody wants me to send them any.:rolleyes:

You answered my question Cute fuzzy beat you!

Thats just the ones I received...I didnt count the ones I sent... :p

For 50c a piece, I'll gladly send you all the PM's you want! Heck, I'll just forward the ones I get and you can read along! ;)

As much as that offer is almost to good to refuse, I must since I'm retired and have to mantain a budget.;)

You can on occasion sent me a freebee.:D

I don't know how the new software works, but the previous software kept the PM in a database until both the sender and the recipient deleted it. So you might have deleted it from your outbasket, but if the recipient didn't delete it then it's still there in their inbox.

In SMF there was a flag for whether or not the sender had deleted it. I would hazard a guess that the software conversion put them all back in the outboxes of those who had sent them.

So at least before the changeover there was no nefarious PM archiving, it's just that the people you sent them to didn't delete them so they still exist.

Since I never really sent many pm's I believe I got them all back. I have no idea why the receivers would have saved them.

Thanks for the explanation BigMoneyJim.

Back
Top Bottom