Join Early Retirement Today

My Records Indicate...
Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
My Records Indicate...

that I'm on day 62 of my current hair cut. I believe that I'll shoot for 70-75 this time. Back in my wo**ing days I used to get it clipped every 3-4 weeks. Long hair is not a good summer look IMHO, but I'm reducing my annual haircut expense (AHE) by over 50% and that fits into my overall LBYM philosophy real well.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

No records on when was my last cut. Have gone as much as 7 months without haircut. Usually get a cut because there is a significant event to attend and DW insists that I get presentable.

Her usual and final winning argument is: "you do look much younger with short hair". After 3 or 4 of these, I get the cut. Then she continues with the positive reinforcement of: you really are much younger looking.

Currently around 2 months from last cut. Curious when the next nagging session will begin.

PS. I think Nords holds the record, he measures cuts in years.

By the way haircuts around here are $12 to $15.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
By the way haircuts around here are $12 to $15.
I get a $7.70 special, but I load it up with a $1 tip!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Husband's hair is naturally curly - beautiful (I think) but barbers rarely know how to cut it properly. He pays $17.00 plus tip (everything is expensive in our area). I never nag him when his duck-tails start curling up in back, but every now and then he'll mutter something about how his dad would say "Why don't you get yourself a violin?" and then I know he's planning a trip to the barbershop.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Roughly 4-5 weeks for me. If I get the good looking blond at the barbershop, I give her a tip. Men, nothing. I usually get the blond.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The hubbers has not had his hair cut since mid November, 2008. He used to go every 6 weeks at $30 a pop. I'm not sure how long he's gonna go, but I'm thinkin' ponytail.....
Old 08-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was always "well coiffed" during my workin' days. My hair is now just past my shoulders in length. Still keep the bangs trimmed myself and the grey dyed. Just lettin' it grow a bit 'cause I can. Been over 3 months since I last frequented the Hair Cuttery.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a new do a few weeks ago. When working I was in for cut & color on a 6 to 8 week schedule, with a nail appointment every 2nd week. When no longer working I started doing my long natural nails myself again. Gave up the hair salon and let it grow for "Locks of Love". We had a hot spell here and I gave my son my barber shears and said have fun. He cut off the pony tail and worked at it for 1/2 an hour and I am back to my Doris Day pageboy with just enough silver to be ash blonde from a few yards! The pony tail was below my waist and it was HOT! I need to mail it off yet.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #9

I use a Flowbee. Have for about 10 or 15 years, maybe more. So I ge a hair cut when ever I get around to it. I found out it really embarrasses my kids, both grown, that I use a vacuum cleaner to cut my hair!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I get my hair cut for $10 plus $4 tip whenever it "needs" it.
Here is an example of cheapskate-ness to the max...
My hair is ruler straight, never frizzes or curls, natural jet black with a little grey coming in.
I get it cut really short in layers with bangs. As weeks go by, my hair grows out enough so I have to trim my bangs and the sides near my cheekbones, and voila - I have a "new" style. More weeks go by, I do the bang/side trimming thing again and again til I am sporting almost shoulder length hair.
So in the space of approx 3 months, I go through several hairstyles, and get nice compliments on each. Only when the shape of the layering goes completely shaggy dog, I go back and start all over again.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have an electric trimmer. I use a 3/8 comb usually. I look pretty much like a convict for the first week or 10 days, then my appearance softens.

In summer I cut it pretty often, every two weeks or so. In winter I may let it go a little longer as longer hair is definitely warmer. I do not like it shaggy.

This doesn't save a lot of money, but it does save time.

Ha
Old 08-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I get mine cut at Hair Cuttery 3-4 times/year. Being bald helps, but those last few remaining follicles keep producing. I used to consider growing it out and going back to my old ponytail days, but when DW showed me who I would look like I bagged that concept.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #13

Buzz cut #2 from roommate every 8-12 weeks, using cheap clipper from Amazon.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cut every 5 weeks from a local establishment that dw picked for me. $16, but well worth the entertainment.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
that I'm on day 62 of my current hair cut. I believe that I'll shoot for 70-75 this time. Back in my wo**ing days I used to get it clipped every 3-4 weeks. Long hair is not a good summer look IMHO, but I'm reducing my annual haircut expense (AHE) by over 50% and that fits into my overall LBYM philosophy real well.
If I want a 60+ day haircut I go to a military barber shop, but I usually avoid those places like the plague.

One time I went into Quantico and explicitely said I don't want one of those shave Marine haircuts. Well, they pretty much shaved me anyway, so I complained that they had ignored my directions. The barber replied that he had honored my request, and didn't give me a Marine haircut. He gave me an FBI haircut. Guess the only two haircuts they give at Quantico are marine and FBI.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
PS. I think Nords holds the record, he measures cuts in years.
Seven years, three months, and 12 days since 30 April 2002.

It's my mid-life crisis rebellion. I realized a bit before retirement that people had been telling me for over 40 years how long my hair could be. Now every day my hair is the longest it's ever been.

It's disappearing up the front faster than it's growing down the back, and overall it's more of a hassle than shorter hair, but spouse likes it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doonesbury Ol Surfer Dude.jpg (56.0 KB, 74 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Shaved with a HeadBlade. The thing really does work well

I'm only half bald, and it'll be nice when the rest goes so that I don't need such a time-intensive solution.

Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #18

I had a ponytail and beard for a couple of years when I first got an assignment that allowed it. It was not a pretty sight. My hair is too fine and straight to look good long, and although my mustache matches the color of the hair on top of my head, the beard had reddish spots in it. I switched to a goatee for a while, but eventually my wife said, "they're few men that look good with a goatee and you're not one of them."

Wearing my hair short is the right choice for me and I usually hit the barber shop every three weeks or so. Trying to make it to four weeks is stretching it too far.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

haircuts are quarterly and (to me) very expensive-$60. But it is a good haircut.

I wish DH would let his stay long--every now and again he lets the full beard and hair grow out, then cuts it and shaves. He looks younger when clean shaven.

Here's one of the longer hair and beard from our music festival trip a few weeks ago. I'm sure I'm whispering something good in his ear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floydfest2009.JPG (32.3 KB, 0 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Great photo Sarah!

As for bbbamI...give me down to there...hair!...shoulder length or longer...