Join Early Retirement Today

My son is ready to retire (cute kid story)
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My son is ready to retire (cute kid story)

My mother just told me about a conversation she had with my son, who is 3.5 years old. Thought some of you might find it entertaining.

DS: "who's retired in our family?"
Grandma: "Grandpa is retired, grandma is retired, Aunt J and Mommy still work so they aren't retired."
DS: "I want to be retired."
Grandma: "First you have to grow up and work. You work, and then you can retire."
DS: "I want to work for ONE DAY, then I'll retire."

That's my boy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post
My mother just told me about a conversation she had with my son, who is 3.5 years old. Thought some of you might find it entertaining.

Grandma: "Grandpa is retired, grandma is retired, Aunt J and Mommy still work so they aren't retired."
Grandma: "First you have to grow up and work. You work, and then you can retire."

That's my boy
What a marvelous opportunity to start a conversation about how one retires early. He's only 3, but if you were to write down his statement and as he gets older help him with financial concepts...who knows, may he could retire very early!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kids are so cute!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post

That's my boy
You never know!

When I was a kid, I was asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?". I apparently answered "millionaire without working". And look at me now!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm hoping the knowledge and benefits of financial independence rub off on my kids. We are exposing them to basic money concepts early on, and I think they are getting it.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

A few years back I was visiting my Dad in England, and one morning I sat on his front door step with him, saying "All reet marra" (="Hi") to folks walking to work, and kids walking to school. One of the girls, aged about 10, looked over and said, "I wish I was old", then thought about it and said, "Not really, I just wish I was rich".