Join Early Retirement Today

My TV Has No Audio
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My TV Has No Audio

Hi guys,
Hopefully someone has knowledge in this. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were watching TV when all of the sudden the volume just went out. Just like if you pressed mute on your remote. I turned it off and on again, I checked the wiring in the back, played around with the menu option on the remote, and still nothing. Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If your TV came with a manual it probably has a trouble shooting section,or Google the TV mfgr with a "no sound"
add on and you may see how other people have solved the problem.

eg;http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote you should get it fixed on November 5, Wednesday.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I did find some recommendations online. When I get home I'll play around with it some more.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

very simplistic siggestion, and i'm sure you already did this...but...
do you get a bar displayed at the bottom when pushing the up arrow of the volume control on the remote ? that will tell you a) your remote is functioning, and b) your TV is responding to the remote.
even more simplistic...operate the volume control right at the set, i.e. put remote down. if TV and remote signals are out of synch...well you know the rest.
i have accidentally put my older TV is mute mode, and had a low remote battery to boot. i had many a good laugh at myself as i changed the remote battery. good luck!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now, if you could only get the video to work like the audio......
Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
very simplistic siggestion, and i'm sure you already did this...but...
do you get a bar displayed at the bottom when pushing the up arrow of the volume control on the remote ? that will tell you a) your remote is functioning, and b) your TV is responding to the remote.
even more simplistic...operate the volume control right at the set, i.e. put remote down. if TV and remote signals are out of synch...well you know the rest.
i have accidentally put my older TV is mute mode, and had a low remote battery to boot. i had many a good laugh at myself as i changed the remote battery. good luck!
I do get the bar (at the top), so the TV does respond to the remote. I have also went up to the set and used the volume function, I think my situation is a bit more complex, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out when I get home.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb View Post
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone has knowledge in this. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were watching TV when all of the sudden the volume just went out. Just like if you pressed mute on your remote. I turned it off and on again, I checked the wiring in the back, played around with the menu option on the remote, and still nothing. Thanks.
Turn on closed captioning
Old 10-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #9

We have rabbit ears and one of those box doohickeys to convert from the digital signal, and sometimes just the audio goes away when the digital signal is being interfered with. But never for very long, so that's probably not your problem.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #10

My TV wont give me any sound if my daughters have plugged in their head phones,usually takes me a minute of head scratching to see the problem.
But if your sound just went off while you were watching i suspect a circuit in the sound system is fried,it also might fix itself after the TV cools down as these newer TV's have heat and moisture shut offs.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudester View Post
Turn on closed captioning
lol, that's exactly what we did while watching Larry King last night
Old 10-09-2008, 01:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Now, if you could only get the video to work like the audio......
My TV came with one of these:

- ERD50
Old 10-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Cable box? sat box? dvd player? tv have a regular 'off the air' tuner?

If the latter and thats not what you're using, turn to that, turn to a channel you dont get and turn up the volume. If you get loud static, theres a problem in your cable/sat box or whatever you normally use as a signal source.

If you dont, theres something bad in your tv. If thats the case, and the tv is reasonably new and expensive, get it fixed. Otherwise it may be just as cheap to buy a new one. I've made the mistake of repairing a few tv's and the average cost was around $300.

Another temporary fix is to plug your audio out from the cable/sat box into your stereo and use that for sound. A little inconvenient, but it'll get you by a few more years.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Amen, somehow I got it fixed. I unplugged absolutely everything and plugged it all back up, played around with the romote and Amen. I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I can help you guys sometime.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

YAY!!!!
now that it is fixed, i can be bold and share an engineer's joke with you...
if something electronic doesn't work, please check if it's plugged in first. and you'd be surprised how many times this "fixes" the problem. j/k
glad you found the solution.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
YAY!!!!
if something electronic doesn't work, please check if it's plugged in first. and you'd be surprised how many times this "fixes" the problem. j/k
Step 2 is to give it a good solid hit. People are usually surprised by this and think you are kidding, but loose connections are a common fault. Hitting it can make the connection again, probably just temporarily, but it gives a hint of what to look for.

This has been a permanent fix for DW dryer. The buzzer stuck ON 12 years ago. I looked at all the screws I would need to take out to get to the buzzer, and decided to just give it a good whack. Buzzer stopped. I got myself a beer for a tough job well done. It's still working fine (yes comes ON and then shuts OFF).

I think I'll go get another beer, to commemorate the occasion

-ERD50
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

wow, 12 yrs of buzzer ON ? a plug-puller if i ever heard one.

quick...call 1-800-DRY-RABS
Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #18

Quote:
YAY!!!!
Then there is the software engineer's joke (only works on Windows and later software): Wave your hand over it as you say "oogah boogah" three times. This often fixes it.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On many remotes there is a button labeled SAP. It is for Subsidiary audio, aka foreign language, elevator music etc.. If you press it and the station does not transmit anything on that channel, no sound. Pressing it once or or twice more will get you back to the main audio feed.
DW has pressed it unwittingly many times , and is puzzled each time. I no longer re- explain just press the button and all is well with the world.