My TV Has No Audio

eddieb

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone has knowledge in this. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were watching TV when all of the sudden the volume just went out. Just like if you pressed mute on your remote. I turned it off and on again, I checked the wiring in the back, played around with the menu option on the remote, and still nothing. Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Thanks.

I did find some recommendations online. When I get home I'll play around with it some more.

very simplistic siggestion, and i'm sure you already did this...but...
do you get a bar displayed at the bottom when pushing the up arrow of the volume control on the remote ? that will tell you a) your remote is functioning, and b) your TV is responding to the remote.
even more simplistic...operate the volume control right at the set, i.e. put remote down. if TV and remote signals are out of synch...well you know the rest.
i have accidentally put my older TV is mute mode, and had a low remote battery to boot. i had many a good laugh at myself as i changed the remote battery. good luck!

very simplistic siggestion, and i'm sure you already did this...but...
do you get a bar displayed at the bottom when pushing the up arrow of the volume control on the remote ? that will tell you a) your remote is functioning, and b) your TV is responding to the remote.
even more simplistic...operate the volume control right at the set, i.e. put remote down. if TV and remote signals are out of synch...well you know the rest.
i have accidentally put my older TV is mute mode, and had a low remote battery to boot. i had many a good laugh at myself as i changed the remote battery. good luck!

I do get the bar (at the top), so the TV does respond to the remote. I have also went up to the set and used the volume function, I think my situation is a bit more complex, but hopefully I'll be able to figure it out when I get home.

Hi guys,
Hopefully someone has knowledge in this. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were watching TV when all of the sudden the volume just went out. Just like if you pressed mute on your remote. I turned it off and on again, I checked the wiring in the back, played around with the menu option on the remote, and still nothing. Thanks.

Turn on closed captioning :D

We have rabbit ears and one of those box doohickeys to convert from the digital signal, and sometimes just the audio goes away when the digital signal is being interfered with. But never for very long, so that's probably not your problem.

My TV wont give me any sound if my daughters have plugged in their head phones,usually takes me a minute of head scratching to see the problem.
But if your sound just went off while you were watching i suspect a circuit in the sound system is fried,it also might fix itself after the TV cools down as these newer TV's have heat and moisture shut offs.

Cable box? sat box? dvd player? tv have a regular 'off the air' tuner?

If the latter and thats not what you're using, turn to that, turn to a channel you dont get and turn up the volume. If you get loud static, theres a problem in your cable/sat box or whatever you normally use as a signal source.

If you dont, theres something bad in your tv. If thats the case, and the tv is reasonably new and expensive, get it fixed. Otherwise it may be just as cheap to buy a new one. I've made the mistake of repairing a few tv's and the average cost was around $300.

Another temporary fix is to plug your audio out from the cable/sat box into your stereo and use that for sound. A little inconvenient, but it'll get you by a few more years.

Amen, somehow I got it fixed. I unplugged absolutely everything and plugged it all back up, played around with the romote and Amen. I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully I can help you guys sometime.

YAY!!!!
now that it is fixed, i can be bold and share an engineer's joke with you...
if something electronic doesn't work, please check if it's plugged in first.:rolleyes: and you'd be surprised how many times this "fixes" the problem. j/k
glad you found the solution.

YAY!!!!
if something electronic doesn't work, please check if it's plugged in first.:rolleyes: and you'd be surprised how many times this "fixes" the problem. j/k

Step 2 is to give it a good solid hit. People are usually surprised by this and think you are kidding, but loose connections are a common fault. Hitting it can make the connection again, probably just temporarily, but it gives a hint of what to look for.

This has been a permanent fix for DW dryer. The buzzer stuck ON 12 years ago. I looked at all the screws I would need to take out to get to the buzzer, and decided to just give it a good whack. Buzzer stopped. I got myself a beer for a tough job well done. It's still working fine (yes comes ON and then shuts OFF).

I think I'll go get another beer, to commemorate the occasion ;)

-ERD50

YAY!!!!

Then there is the software engineer's joke (only works on Windows and later software): Wave your hand over it as you say "oogah boogah" three times. This often fixes it.

On many remotes there is a button labeled SAP. It is for Subsidiary audio, aka foreign language, elevator music etc.. If you press it and the station does not transmit anything on that channel, no sound. Pressing it once or or twice more will get you back to the main audio feed.
DW has pressed it unwittingly many times , and is puzzled each time. I no longer re- explain just press the button and all is well with the world.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom