Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Heheheh, mushrooms.
heh indeed. Agaricus Bisporus, Psilocybe Cubensis, all those household use 'shrooms. smiley isn't quite wide enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
About 30 years ago i was working as a white hat grower at a big mushroom farm (1 million #/month). Lots of brown brothers from the south working there, some of whom came back to work several times with several different names after being deported. The farm was an easy target to make quota if La Migra had the need. That being the case, the workers tended to carry their bankrolls with them, at least what they hadn't already sent home to their families.
I used to work with some of these guys too. I was am still am amazed at how much money they sent home. Did anyone see the news story about the border-hopper who found a 10 yo kid who had been in a car wreck with his now dead Mom down on the AZ border? This guy stayed with the kid, knowing it would very likely get him deported. Furthermore, he was supporting not one but two families in Mexico- 3 kids with his wife, and 3 with his girlfriend.

I hope these mujeres appreciate his steadfastness.

Ha

Old 12-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I used to work with some of these guys too. I was am still am amazed at how much money they sent home. Did anyone see the news story about the border-hopper who found a 10 yo kid who had been in a car wreck with his now dead Mom down on the AZ border? This guy stayed with the kid, knowing it would very likely get him deported. Furthermore, he was supporting not one but two families in Mexico- 3 kids with his wife, and 3 with his girlfriend. I hope these mujeres appreciate his steadfastness. Ha
Saw that story and wasn't surprised a bit, though i missed the dual family part. Have a lot of respect for many of the attributes of the Central Americans i've known - and no use at all for many of their other cultural habits. By and large though i like them a lot. Pretty much like any culture i've had the pleasure to interact with. Kinda like something my honey & i remind ourselves often: our greatest strengths are also our biggest flaws
Old 12-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

In 1978 while on a Kenya Safari we had taken a little side trip thru a town where there was a flea market going on....lots of tables with all kinds of goods. I was checking out the T-shirts, laid my wallet w/passport and everything I owned on top of one particularly big pile to hold up a really cute T-shirt to see how it might fit...you know the drill Continued shopping the market until about an hour later when we were leaving and I realized...HOLY S--t!!!! I retraced my steps....and WOW! There it was...exactly where I had left it...never touched!

I found out later that day there was a thing called 'Mob Rule' in Kenya.
There was an article in the local paper where a local fellow had been held up by a knife and robbed of his sneakers and his wristwatch. The townspeople who saw it happened chased the robber until they caught him...beat him up called the police, they beat him up and jailed him...the judge ordered him to prison for 5 years and 20 salt water whip lashings!

Maybe we need some of THAT!!!!
Old 12-08-2007, 12:18 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babeebloos View Post
the judge ordered him to prison for 5 years and 20 salt water whip lashings!
They dip the whips in salt water? That's just mean.