Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

My wife talks a lot...
Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

My wife talks a lot...

and so do I. But mostly with her.

Most people describe me as on the quiet side. Same with the DW. But when we are alone together, be it floating in the pool or floating in a nice Malbec with dinner, she really talks -- rehashes her day, ventilates about some jerk she had to deal with, stream of consciousness about family issues, whatever. I basically do the same (well, OK, at least with my 20% of the discussion), though the topic might be either work (she can't get enough of that, and I really don't like to talk shop that much), retirement life, kids, whatever.

Another favorite talk-a-thon is our 50-60 minute evening walks every other day (I jog alone in between).

We spend hours talking. You'd think after knowing her for 41 years (38 married to her) we'd run out of things to talk about.

Just observing...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hallmark of a contented marriage. Congrats to you. I hope we are doing the same after another 22 years together!

DH and I sit and talk all the time. My favorite is on long car trips.
I remember loving to go places with my dad for the same reason.
Cynics might say I like a captive audience.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Frank talks a lot, too. Sometimes I like to just listen as he goes on and on and he comes out with some of the most fascinating ideas!

We love to talk when we're together. He will drive around in his Murano or his truck, and we'll talk about anything and everything while we check out the rebuilding efforts in different neighborhoods throughout the area.

We especially love restaurants in which we can converse easily, and the wait staff doesn't interrupt our conversation too often.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm...that's nice Rich.

I've been with DH for 33 years. When we get on a roll, we end up finishing each other's sentences. He's not much of a talker, but I prod him from time to time to get him going.

Speaking of prodding, is your avatar chipping away at your time on the j*b? Congrats on the 12.87% retirement.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
and so do I. But mostly with her.

Most people describe me as on the quiet side. Same with the DW. But when we are alone together, be it floating in the pool or floating in a nice Malbec with dinner, she really talks -- rehashes her day, ventilates about some jerk she had to deal with, stream of consciousness about family issues, whatever. I basically do the same (well, OK, at least with my 20% of the discussion), though the topic might be either work (she can't get enough of that, and I really don't like to talk shop that much), retirement life, kids, whatever.

Another favorite talk-a-thon is our 50-60 minute evening walks every other day (I jog alone in between).

We spend hours talking. You'd think after knowing her for 41 years (38 married to her) we'd run out of things to talk about.

Just observing...
We do quite a bit of talking while walking. Always find something to talk about.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My husband is in his early 70s and I am finding that my talking distracts him, particularly in the car. He really needs to concentrate on what he is doing.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

DW talks a lot, but last night while watching "America's got Talent", she said "I've got something to say during the next commercial" I knew I was in for a long one. I think she talked for 2-3 hours straight after that.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #8

DW does that too. I read in a book "that's what women do". It makes her feel better even if the talking doesn't accomplish or solve anything. A somewhat foreign concept to me but that's just the way she is. It took about five years to understand/accept it.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Rich and Wife having a nice chat.............

Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Your post made me smile, Rich.

dh2b and I just passed our 4 year mark yesterday. We are settling into that easy ebb-n-flow of talking that you describe.
I am told by his co-w*rkers and friends that he was pretty quiet in the pre-Freebird days, but now he has really come out of his shell. His boss jokes that he never shuts up and how do I stand it ?
That I am making a positive difference in someone's life has to be of the best compliments I have ever received.
Me? I'm a motormouth. Always have been, always will be. I am focusing on being a better listener and try to be briefer in conversation length.
A little...maybe...sort of...
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ditto here. We gab constantly although she does get POd when I keep going when she is trying to watch one of her TV programs.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Speaking of prodding, is your avatar chipping away at your time on the j*b? Congrats on the 12.87% retirement.
Hmm... I hadn't consciously thought of that angle on my new avatar but you're right -- it could be seen as kind of metaphoric.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Rich and Wife having a nice chat.............
One of TV's great marriages no doubt.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

To me, people who are perceived as quiet are the most interesting to talk to--they are listeners and thinkers, and when they share their thoughts (usually only with a spouse or a close friend), the conversations are amazing.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rich (12.87% retired)
Can't wait to hear what you choose for your SWR!

What exactly is that avatar shooting at? On my browser it shows as a small square with a red "X" in it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What exactly is that avatar shooting at? On my browser it shows as a small square with a red "X" in it.
I think it's just a "close window" icon.

But as bbbamI points out, maybe it's symbolic, like an avatar "ink-blot test," if anyone remembers back when we still had ink and still had blotters.

Or maybe an existential urge to close the window of life, or maybe raw rage at societal constraints.

(Actually, I ran across it while browsing and it just caught my eye.)

Old 08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it's just a "close window" icon.

But as bbbamI points out, maybe it's symbolic, like an avatar "ink-blot test," if anyone remembers back when we still had ink and still had blotters.

Or maybe an existential urge to close the window of life, or maybe raw rage at societal constraints.

(Actually, I ran across it while browsing and it just caught my eye.)
Awwww...and here I thought you were being symbolic, mysterious and deep....that's a shame...
Old 08-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We talk about a lot of things but we are also comfortable with not talking. Early on, I think we were 19 or 20, we took a trip together that involved starting out at 4am and driving about 9-10 hours. We found we worked well together, had plenty to talk about but we also could be comfortable with long periods of silence. After that trip I knew he was a keeper.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I am kind of quiet,we just had are 35th last week.
My wife is a realestate agent,and yes she likes to talk.
Enough said.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Caution, its got rough language:

My wife and I joke about this one all the time, because we repeat the same stories all the time.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote