Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
After reading the previous posts you may realize that you need to decide how you will use the truck before you buy.
For sure. However, the same can be said for our cars (and yet, a lot of larger cars spend the vast majority of their time hauling 1 person). Heck, I like my mid size, 4 door sedan with the bigger engine, but I rarely have anybody in the passenger seat, much less the back seat.

Practically speaking, a 4 cylinder pickup will meet >90% of your needs, but life ain't always about being practical. My truck is a Dodge Ram 4x4 extended cab Lariat. It is sooo overkill, but I like it. I probably get to use the 4 wheel drive feature once a year, and I'd say that's only because I'm being silly and going in to some mud that I would have avoided if my truck were 2 wheel drive .

Trucks have a rough ride (at least that's my experience). My wife and I like having the truck, but I would not want it to be my daily driver.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No one has said this: Are you sure you need a truck? What is your current car situation? Are you replacing a car or adding a truck?...........
Food for thought. I had two midsized pickups in a row, then I ended up switching to a midsized FWD SUV with a roof rack and a trailer hitch. The trailer hitch supports a heavy duty bike rack. When I need more capacity, I have one of those 4'x8' Harbor Freight folding trailers that hauls 1000#. It stands in my barn and takes up a 2 foot by 5 foot footprint. The picture is swiped from the internet - not mine.

I got tired of the pickup due to the 2WD traction, the ride and the limited interior space (hard to take passengers and "stuff" inside).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HF Trailer.jpg (172.6 KB, 4 views)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I received a call from another dealer who is on the Costco list and gave him the first dealer's initial offer. He will see what he can do for a better deal given the Costco connection.

All things considered Ford seems to be my best choice although Toyota also makes a great product.

A full size truck bed (in this case 6.5') is necessary to keep from lifting kayaks, bikes, etc. too high. Wife is small and we a both starting to get creaky as the years are piling up. Although small she used to drive a duce-and-a-half in the Coast Guard so I think she will be alright with a pick up truck.

Gas milage was/is a consideration but not too serious. the F150 actually gets a little better than the 2001 Crown Vic I am driving and I only put on about 7-8k miles a year. Comparing milage of 18 vs 24 (something more fuel efficient but a smaller less versatile vehicle) over 8k at $3.50/gallon it would only cost me about $500/yr difference. My little sweetie's wishes are worth it. She doesn't want or ask for flowers, jewlery, or fancy clothes and she doesn't drink or smoke. So a motorcycle and truck over 25 years isn't too bad.

The recommendation for a tow package might be a good idea. Although I don't plan on pulling anything heavy there is no need stressing the truck if we want to pull a small travel trailer, a couple of motorcycles, or pop-up in the future. I will probably want to have a spray in bed liner too.

Oh yeah, I'm got lucky when I met her and now I'm the only stud(muffin) she will haul around.

Thanks again, and any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well I was going to heap a bit of praise on the mid-size Dakota option, but your desire for a 6.5 bed rules that idea out.
Instead I'll recommend getting a rollup tonneau cover.
I love mine as it rolls up in about 20 seconds, seals up in about 30 seconds, has been completely leak and wind proof and cost under $200 bucks.
If you get one, ensure it has built in support bars that roll-up with the cover. The velcro sides work great. Mine is a Truxport.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #25

I have a 2010 F150 with the 5.4 V-8 330HP. Its a great truck. Rides like a car on the interstate but rides like a truck on rough roads. The V-6 EcoBoost puts out 365HP with 420lbs of torque and gets better mileage than the V-8's. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
Administrator

How about a van instead? The cost (new) is comparable to a truck but there are some interesting advantages.

If you want to tow, a 3/4 commercial van is van is just about perfect. Tow capacity is the same as a 3/4 ton PU. Full size vans are built on truck chassis.

1. Vans have ENCLOSED cargo space (no rain on yer stuff)
2. Vans have lower decks. We have a PU at my house and I HATE climbing into the back to get stuff out. It's hard on my knees and if there's a canopy on the bed (usually) I often whack my head.
3. Vans come in various lengths so you can get a long one and put your kayaks inside or you could get a short one and use a roof rack
4. Full sized PU with Crew cab and long bed is a monster to park at the grocery store. Way too long for polite turning in tight spaces.

Both Chevy, Ford and GMC have full size vans and you can trick em out any way you like.

Another interesting option is the Benz Sprinter van which tows almost as well but can be specked with a diesel and has a smaller foot print (nice for those skinny grocery store parking places). These cost more but are much more friendly for urban use.

If you are in the used market, a lightly used commercial van is well under 20 K <<< deal!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #27

Your DW is a smart woman. There is nothing better than a truck. I have a 2009 F150 4wd supercrew cab with a 5.4 V8. I get 18.2 mpg - 2 mpg better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee that it replaced. Here's my list of must haves:

1. 4wd
2. V8 engine
3. Super crew cab (on F150)
4. electric rear window
5. Undercover bed cover
6. Yakima Beddy Jo bike rack
7. Line-x bed coating
8. Weathertech floor mats
Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a rarely used (15K since new) 2006 Ford F350 four door Diesel pick up. I like it. My next car will be a Lincoln crossover SUV of some sort. I recommend the Line-X spray in bedliner and the factory towing option for the bigger radiators, too.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup that I use primarily on weekends to do trucky things with, like hauling building materials and logs for firewood.
I drive my Mustang during the week but will swap that out for the Ranger once snow becomes an issue.
I do plan to replace the Ranger with an F-150 SuperCab in a few years when the funds present themselves...
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
How about a van instead?.......
Different strokes for different folks, but I owned a full size van for about 5 years and I was still backing into stuff - never could get used to driving it.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #31
gone traveling

FWIW, the pickup truck seems to be making a bit of a comeback:

Automakers play up pickups at Texas State Fair
Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #32

I know that the image is important but does she know that it rides and handles like a truck? DW thought that WE should own a truck but that I should use it. After owning a couple of trucks I enjoy driving a car much more. Maybe it will be your truck? Better get one you like.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not all that girly-girl, but there's a point at which a woman has to take a stand.
Gotta tell ya, there ain't nothin' like a gal in a short dress climbing up into a big ol' pickup truck! That'll just about make ya drop yer groceries right thar in the parkin' lot!

All kidding aside, I love my pickup truck. I do make it work for a living on occasion, and we do have a nice car that gets great gas mileage.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I know that the image is important but does she know that it rides and handles like a truck? DW thought that WE should own a truck but that I should use it. After owning a couple of trucks I enjoy driving a car much more. Maybe it will be your truck? Better get one you like.
Yeah - my gal thought I needed a truck with a full-on utility box some years ago. Frankly, I like to sneak up on work and surprise myself, not drive around loudly proclaiming that that's what I do.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #35

For longer trips (2 hours+) DW much prefers taking the GMC pickup. She says she feels safer (room for debate on that) and it's roomier and more comfortable. And of course fitting all the luggage/stuff we acquire on a trip is never an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck4_050 (1024x768).jpg (265.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #36

OK. One more to the mix.

A Quigley van conversion. They take factory new vans and convert them to 4wd. Not cheap.

Had one years ago when w*rked for Southern California Edison. Had big DC3 airplane tires to go on the beach. Pure decadence, supplied by empl*yer.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Ford F350 Crew Cab 4x4. It does everything great, including burning tons of gas. It will go anywhere, snow, ice, up the side of some mountian, etc. Get's 9 mpg and burns premium. Bought new (as a "leftover") in April of '98. It is a '97 with a 460 gas engine. We haul a Lance 10.5' camper on it.

If I had to do it over again, the gas mileage would be the #1 consideration instead of the last consideration. The Tacoma, with a 4 cyl engine, and 2 wheel drive, would likely be high on the list. If camping is your thing, like it is for us, the tricky part is the toilet in the camper. The minute the camper has holding tanks, it seems that it requires a big rig to either pull it or carry it. Also, it gets expensive as well.

Just my 2 cents worth....

- Stephen
Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #38

My 17 YO Dodge Ram 5.9 auto 4WD is still running great, just looks like hell. Its main purpose is trash, dogs, wood and gravel.

My 2009 GMC quadcab 5.3 4WD auto sb is awesome. It will run on 4 cylinders on the flats gets 19.5 mpg, gets better fuel mileage at 75 than 55. Has a locking tailgate so a tonneau cover makes goodies secure.

And yes this is my driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gym2.JPG (569.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
My 17 YO Dodge Ram 5.9 auto 4WD is still running great, just looks like hell. Its main purpose is trash, dogs, wood and gravel.

My 2009 GMC quadcab 5.3 4WD auto sb is awesome. It will run on 4 cylinders on the flats gets 19.5 mpg, gets better fuel mileage at 75 than 55. Has a locking tailgate so a tonneau cover makes goodies secure.

And yes this is my driveway.
Looks really beautiful. Hard to imagine that as a driveway.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

So what's wrong with a woman wanting a pick up??