Join Early Retirement Today

My wife wants a truck
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife wants a truck

Go figure! Out of the blue she suggested that we buy a truck for my soon to be retirement. Didn't see that one coming. One with the extended cab to use for groceries, luggage, or what ever needs to be secure. The back bed can be used to haul kayaks, lumber, recumbent trikes, etc. and it would need to be able to pull a utility or small travel trailer.

She already saw a new stock bright red 2011 Ford XLT she likes with the new 6 cylinder gas engine they claim gets 17/24 mpg. The dealer wants $25k after discounts/incentives.

That sounded fairly reasonable but I'm not familiar with trucks so I could use some advice on what might be a good deal. I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1987 so I'm a little rusty at this. I'm not into whistles and bells but what "extras" might be useful to extend the life of the truck. I've always bought used and keep them for a looooong time.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you sure your wife said she wants a pickup truck? She might have said she's wants tRuck.

With gas price being what it is, I would looking to Consumer's Report on gas efficient pickup truck like Toyota Tacoma
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Get the tow package if you even suspect you might one day use it. The stuff can be added aftermarket but this is one thing that is cheaper/easier when new and it adds to the resale value later if you sell it. The tow package also usually (and should) includes a heavier radiator and transmission cooler which is good even if you don't tow anything.

I like 4WD on pickups. It's not something I really need very often but when I do need it nothing else will substitute. Looking at the resale prices on used pickups, it is one of the few options that you get out of it on resale what you paid for it. The downsides are a little higher step up to the cab, slightly lower fuel mileage because of the weight and drag, and of course it is one more thing that can break.

In my very brief (one month) career as a car salesman I learned that 40% of pickup trucks are purchased by women.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An integrated trailer brake controller is nice if you think you'll tow - much nicer than an add on. Depending on where you live, 2WD pickups are a pain to drive in the snow - no traction when empty.

I'd also post at a Ford truck forum. They are real enthusiasts and have a much more intimate knowledge for any given model, including pricing.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Have owned several pickups through out my life. Ford F150, Dodge Ram. Toyota Tundra and Tacoma, both 2 WD and 4 WD, regular, crew, and extended cab. Most practical all around good value for a pick up is the Toyota Tacoma extended cab. Have had a 2 WD and a 4WD one. Currently have the 2 WD drive. If I was buying new today that is what I would buy. 2 or 4 WD would depend on where you live. Right now I live between Virginia and Florida and the 2 WD is fine. Yes we get some snow in VA, but usually not enough to be an issue. Truck is big enough for most things, will pull a small trailer (mine is a 6 X 10 Landscape trailer) and gets good gas mileage. The Extended cab is big enough to hold most things and you don't lose bed space as you do with some crew cabs, or it's to long to handle easily.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I get Consumer Reports and looked it up. Is that a Ford 150 with the XLT package? If so, it's highly rated and recommended.

From Consumer Reports:
Overall rating 68. "The F-150 received a freshening for 2011, giving it new engines, new steering system, and a few interior upgrades. We tested both the 5.0-liter V8 as well as the V6 turbo EcoBoost. With either powertrain, the F-150 became a bit quicker, quieter and more refined. Both the V8 and the new V6 versions delivered 15 mpg overall, tying the Toyota Tundra for the best in the large pickup truck class. The crew-cab version is very roomy, but step-in is high. Handling is still clumsy but secure enough. The stiff, busy ride is improved and now more tolerable than before. Towing and hauling are very capable but the capacities of our tested trucks aren't class leading. Crash-test results are impressive."

The reliability ratings are very good for this model.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
gone traveling

Maybe she's planning on hauling around some studs? ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #8

Bed covers are great for protecting stuff carried in the bed. You can remove them when you need to load oversized items.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Before you get too far.... take her to the dealer for a test drive.

She may not like the driving experience.

If you live in an area where it snows a lot... consider a 4WD. Driving in the snow with rear wheel drive takes some experience, especially on any hills. (IMO)

Plus... if you are getting a truck... depending on the use... a 6cyl may be a little weak.

Spend some time identifying your needs (and wants) and do some test drives.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
If you live in an area where it snows a lot...
I've seen several references like the one above.

From Badger's profile:

Quote:
About Badger
State - Florida
Unless his wife has a very long commute, I doubt 4WD is needed.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Aren't trucks nearly always just style choices? In about 30 years of rental management we had a truck for only a few of those years - and it mostly grew moss and tree sap parked at the curb. Very few things can't be accomplished without a pickup bed, and it amuses onlookers to see a Chevy Sprint go down the road with a two person kayak or 20' ABS pipe tied to the roof.

"15mpg overall" "stiff, busy ride" - are you going to be in love with that tank after tank?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've seen several references like the one above.

From Badger's profile:

Unless his wife has a very long commute, I doubt 4WD is needed.
OK... But don't forget the sand and those swampy glades?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
OK... But don't forget the sand and those swampy glades?
Maybe a lift kit to stay well above the gators...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe she is thinking of this truck as a retirement present for you.

Or maybe I'm projecting - - but personally I would never want my own vehicle to be a truck. A truck just isn't "me". I'm not all that girly-girl, but there's a point at which a woman has to take a stand. Besides, I like my luxury....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe she is thinking of this truck as a retirement present for you.

Or maybe I'm projecting - - but personally I would never want my own vehicle to be a truck. A truck just isn't "me". I'm not all that girly-girl, but there's a point at which a woman has to take a stand. Besides, I like my luxury....
Come on now, admit it, you're 100% Girly-Girl. Being very competent at work is no conflict with girly-girlishness.

Ha
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Come on now, admit it, you're 100% Girly-Girl. Being very competent at work is no conflict with girly-girlishness.

Ha
Thanks for the compliment. It's hard for me to understand why some women are so math-phobic. Guess I was lucky not to be brought up that way.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

I like the F-150. A relative has a 2010 and its very nice. Rides super quiet and interior is nice. His is an XLT. I hear good thing about the 6 cylinder Eco-Boost, but its $750 more than the 5.0L V-8 and I don't think you get much fuel efficiency.

Like most of the other full sized trucks its pretty high off the ground. I think it rides great and am amazed at how quiet it is. Everytime I borrow it I think I am driving 30mph and realize I am going 45 ot 50, its smooth.

Current incentives are pretty nice. I've been looking for a used one and you can get a new one for less than used now with the incentives.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

After reading the previous posts you may realize that you need to decide how you will use the truck before you buy. The options mentioned can easily double the cost and cut the gas mileage in half.

Honestly, I prefer a 4-door sedan to a truck for around town use. However, I do own a farm truck. The farm truck is 4X4 with mud tires, a big V8, high ground clearance, and poor gas mileage. I drive the truck from the house to our rural property. I put the truck into low 4X4 as soon as I leave the public road and leave it in 4X4 until I get back on the public road. I use the truck to haul my tractor which weighs about 7,000 lb including the trailer from the house to our rural property.

Perhaps you've seen the ED commercial on TV with the cowboy towing a horse trailer with an old Dodge 2WD truck. No snow, just mud. He uses the horses in the trailer to pull his truck out of the mud. The message in that commercial is you never know when you will need 4X4.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
The message in that commercial is you never know when you will need 4X4.
Thanks for the translation. Whenever I saw that commercial I wondered what was up...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

No one has said this: Are you sure you need a truck? What is your current car situation? Are you replacing a car or adding a truck?

Kayaks -- roof rack.
Lumber -- roof rack or delivery.
Recumbent bikes -- roof rack.
Travel trailer -- you may not want that.
Other things -- rent a truck.

If gas prices skyrocket again, and they will, you may be stuck with it.

I have a older (smaller) Tacoma, which I need for collecting and moving firewood. It has been very convenient at times, but I'm not hearing a pressing need in your case.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote