Mystery blob

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I found this story about mystery globs off the Alaskan coast:
Huge blob of Arctic goo floats past Slope communities: Arctic Alaska | adn.com

"Hunters from Wainwright first started noticing the stuff sometime probably early last week. It's thick and dark and "gooey" and is drifting for miles in the cold Arctic waters,"

"It's certainly biological," Hasenauer said. "It's definitely not an oil product of any kind. It has no characteristics of an oil, or a hazardous substance, for that matter.

I've seen this stuff in the caribbean flying in and out of Miami. A couple of times it was flowing on the gulf stream between Miami and the Bahamas. Another time it flowing north around the Carolinas, again following the gulf stream.

Wondering if anyone has seen it from the water, from a cruise ship or a fishing boat? I asked a marine biologist once, and he said it might be sea grass, but I don't think so.

It's pitch black when it hits ice and it kind of discolors the ice and hangs off of it," Brower said. He saw some jellyfish tangled up in the stuff, and someone turned in what was left of a dead goose -- just bones and feathers -- to the borough's wildlife department.

It sounds like something from Stephen King's story....The Raft

"The Raft" is about four college students, two young men (Randy and Deke) and two young women (Rachel and LaVerne), who go out to swim on a remote Pennsylvania lake during the autumn, when nobody is around. After they swim out to the raft in the middle of the lake, a mysterious oil slick-like creature appears in the water beneath them. Deke ridicules Randy's suspicions that the "oil slick" was chasing the girls, refusing to take the situation seriously until Rachel touches it. The creature instantly wraps around her arm, pulling her into itself and gradually dissolving her. After the initial panic, Deke decides he could make a swim to the shore, but as he prepares to jump into the lake he steps on a crack on the raft and the creature grabs him by his foot. Unable to free his friend, Randy watches as Deke is slowly consumed by the creature. Now unwilling to risk swimming for shore, Randy and LaVerne take turns watching the creature (which changes positions every now and then - it is either under the raft, or out of it). One stands while the other one sits. During the course of the night, LaVerne convinces Randy that they should sit together and keep each other warm. He eventually touches one of her breasts, and they end up having sex. During intercourse, LaVerne's hair falls off through the cracks of the raft and the creature absorbs her. The story ends with Randy alone, watching the colors of the creature, until he no longer looks away.

It sounds like something from Stephen King's story....The Raft

OK, I was with you there until the touching of the breast :blush:
Other than that, this blob may be what Stephen King was writing about.

Seriously, these were huge blobs, when I saw them from the plane I would guess they were a 10-20 miles long and maybe a mile wide. I took photos through the window but they didn't show on the photos (sound of tingly scary music).

Her hair fell off after sex? Definitely want no part of those blobs.

This is what The Raft blob looks like....:D

Tonight I'm going to have strange thoughts swirling all through my mind....:blink:

Last edited:
Giant Alaskan Blob Mystery Solved
Giant Alaskan Blob Mystery Solved - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

"We got the results back from the lab today," Ed Meggert of the state Department of Environmental Conservation told the Anchorage Daily News late last week. "It was marine algae."

Thank goodness, I can sleep now. So it must be algae also that I see from the air on the Gulf Stream. Not a hair-eating monster. Although that would definitely be more [-]arousing[/-] interesting.

Giant Alaskan Blob Mystery Solved
Giant Alaskan Blob Mystery Solved - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

"We got the results back from the lab today," Ed Meggert of the state Department of Environmental Conservation told the Anchorage Daily News late last week. "It was marine algae."
Yeah I saw that earlier. Kind of a shame...
Thank goodness, I can sleep now. So it must be algae also that I see from the air on the Gulf Stream. Not a hair-eating monster. Although that would definitely be more [-]arousing[/-] interesting.
Mmmm, hmmm it would indeed! ;)

Someone, somewhere, is reading that article and thinking "Dang, I wonder how much biodiesel I could get out of that?!?"

There is actually a movie about this story, Creepshow 2 came out in 1987, Creepshow 2 (1987)

I'm not a fan of horror movies, and I can be sure that my uneasiness in swimming at lakes resulted from seeing this movie.

Back
Top Bottom