Mystery Trip Report With Photos

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yesterday I told Lena to pack for an overnight trip, and that I'd be back in an hour. I went into town and rented this:

img_947468_0_f3116ac7b2c02202eef8c35ec3129e37.jpg

She was totally surprised, although her first reaction was "But my sandals are in our car!" Luckily I'd retrieved the sandals before changing cars.

We then drove up the coast and through the redwoods.

img_947468_1_9b9f78a2fb0e1bcbf37a4f79f3a595c1.jpg

img_947468_2_ab93ce21370a7a2589a4b2f96f5ce128.jpg

img_947468_3_59f9c278ca644048e59f787ed86e3663.jpg

img_947468_4_f9d2fa2ea017e5c8bf1ca943a2e77a8c.jpg

The most fun part of the car is the acceleration, but unfortunately, it only takes a few seconds to get up the speed limit, so you take your fun in short segments of time.

We checked into a little "suites" motel, that was very nice, went for a run, then walked to a fancy restaurant for a great meal of clams and prime rib.

img_947468_5_8237b43cc9aa8f1da0887f46356eeceb.jpg

img_947468_6_c9f969d5d5cb583042774b40890535c1.jpg

The hotel had lots of DVDs to borrow, and we watched It's Complicated, which was really good.

Next day breakfast at one of our favorite restaurants, then home.

img_947468_7_4e2be051901bfa6feb45fb0e3bab80ea.jpg

So, instead of buying a fancy car, it works well to rent one once in a while. I only wish they had some additional fun cars to try out.

Mystery trips are almost always fun!

Yesterday I told Lena to pack for an overnight trip, and that I'd be back in an hour. I went into town and rented this:

img_947470_0_f3116ac7b2c02202eef8c35ec3129e37.jpg

As the first photo began to load I was asking "You can RENT firewood?"

Looks like fun - although I am surprised a tightwad like you shelled out the bucks to do it. Good on you!

As the first photo began to load I was asking...

Either you think fast, or you are running dialup.

I am surprised a tightwad like you shelled out the bucks to do it.
Right. It's part of my program to spend more money. It was $98 for the car, $110 for the hotel, and $44 for the fancy dinner (split the prime rib, no drinks or desserts).

Either you think fast, or you are running dialup.
Not dialup, but not the fastest connection under the sun - Sprint 3G aircard.

Right. It's part of my program to spend more money. It was $98 for the car, $110 for the hotel, and $44 for the fancy dinner (split the prime rib, no drinks or desserts).

You're making progress. When you allow Lena to have her own entree, a drink and dessert, then you will have made the full transition... :)

Brilliant Al. Lena is a lucky gal.:)

What a fun thing to do! Sounds romantic and adventurous. And THRIFTY!

I was with my wife in Hawaii and on two of the three car rentals we went with the convertable.... best decision....

I would say it is worth the extra money if you are going on a sightseeing drive... otherwise... no..

Most Excellent Roadtrip. My first car was a blue 68 Mustang.Thanks for the pictures.

The economy must be better if Al is spending money !:) and yes Lena is a lucky gal . That was a great surprise !

Sounds like a good time! I used to own a Mustang back in the day also, but it was not a convertible. I loved the movie It's Complicated. Sharing a meal is very good calorie-wise. If I could get my DH to sell his 72 vette, we could rent quite a few fun cars. Thinking of the money we could save on personal property taxes, insurance, registration, license plates and of course on updating different things.....Yep, quite a bit of money.

Was your breakfast at the little place down by the launch ramp at Trinidad Head? I used to enjoy going there for breakfast with my dad who lived in McKinleyville. They had great sourdough bread! Haven't been there since 2001 when he passed away.

Was your breakfast at the little place down by the launch ramp at Trinidad Head? I used to enjoy going there for breakfast with my dad who lived in McKinleyville. They had great sourdough bread! Haven't been there since 2001 when he passed away.
That would be in his back yard.

How far north did you go? That one shot reminds me of Canon Beach, but that would be kind of far for a one day drive. Was that just further up the coast before getting to Crescent City?

Great pics! And what a neat idea.

Now imagine driving my monster rig north 101 from your place in fog and rain and wet road, and that was not so relaxing!!! Although spending the next 2 months exploring the Oregon coast made it worth it.

Audrey

Right, we drove to Brookings, OR.

I guess I'm still a kid:

MGASmaller.jpg

MustangByBeachSmaller.jpg

The way the market is climbing, it won't be long until you make a post proclaiming to be the owner of one such 'stang. :whistle:

Dang, did I jinx the market?

Back
Top Bottom