Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #21

American Pickers

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a huge Whedon fan (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, etc). But my favorite all time series is The Wire. I believe it was on HBO, but the first season was over ten years ago, and I run into a few folks who've never heard of it, so I reckon that makes it obscure.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
"Better Call Saul" is my new favorite (it's a spin-off from "Breaking Bad"), but it's probably not too obscure.
I like this one too. Fargo is another. But doubt these qualify as obscure. I'm scratching my head on trying to come up with something truly obscure. Every now and then I will stumble on a something on The Animal Planet that catches my attention, but I can't even think of the name of the show. That's pretty obscure I guess.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have liked Airplane Repo, Air Disasters, and Buying Alaska. Also reruns of Mad About You.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My new favorite show is the Detectorists on Acorn. You have to pay $49 a year for Acorn, but it's well worth it. It's all British TV. This show is part comedy, part touching, and just very good. In some ways it reminds me of the quirkiness of Doc Martin, but more subtle and clever.

Has anyone else seen it? The theme song is hauntingly beautiful, too.

Oh, I see that the first season is on Netflix. There are two on Acorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Love the show and watched both seasons on Acorn. There's a "making of the show" episode at the end that's really interesting too. It's not really about metal detectoring at all.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.

Along with the predecessors, The Layover, No Reservations, A Cook's Tour. The early episodes were mostly about cuisine with a side of culture. Many of the latest episodes are culture with a side of food. Interesting places all over the world, some I would never see otherwise. Fascinating IMO. Bourdain has evolved considerably as well...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown.

Along with the predecessors, The Layover, No Reservations, A Cook's Tour. The early episodes were mostly about cuisine with a side of culture. Many of the latest episodes are culture with a side of food. Fascinating IMO. Bourdain has evolved considerably as well...
That made me remember a funny British one, called An Idiot Abroad. These two guys send their buddy, who is definitely NOT a traveler, to all sorts of random and horrible places.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That made me remember a funny British one, called An Idiot Abroad. These two guys send their buddy, who is definitely NOT a traveler, to all sorts of random and horrible places.
Which makes me think of the original Top Gear, love that show on BBCA. Not at all obscure in the UK, but maybe in the USA? The various spin offs pale in comparison...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Late at night, I find myself watching the re-runs of The First 48, all 15 seasons of them. I feel like I am getting to personally know the detectives, some of who probably live a few miles from me . It beats watching the news.

I also record the crazy auto shows like "What's Your Car Worth", "Bithcin' Rides", "Chasing Classic Cars", etc, I also record the live auto auctions to see what the classic and muscle cars are fetching these days.
I'm hooked on every one of those plus Fast and Loud and BBCA's Top Gear.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
My new favorite show is the Detectorists on Acorn. You have to pay $49 a year for Acorn, but it's well worth it. It's all British TV. This show is part comedy, part touching, and just very good. In some ways it reminds me of the quirkiness of Doc Martin, but more subtle and clever.

Has anyone else seen it? The theme song is hauntingly beautiful, too.

Oh, I see that the first season is on Netflix. There are two on Acorn.

I watched both seasons and enjoyed them. We also like the series A Place To Call Home have you seen it? We love Acorn, especially the mysteries like Midsomer Murders and Foylrs War.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I watched both seasons and enjoyed them. We also like the series A Place To Call Home have you seen it? We love Acorn, especially the mysteries like Midsomer Murders and Foylrs War.

We loved A Place To Call Home! I read they are filming the next season right now.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't remember the exact name, but something like "Earth Without People". It showed how nature would reclaim cities if all people were gone. Show the effects after one year, 2, 5, 10, etc. Especially interesting was seeing Manhattan reclaimed and becoming almost prehistoric with animals of all types taking over. I think it was on History Channel 10 years ago or so.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #33

Two recent semi-obscure favorites would be The Fall on Netflix and The Missing on Starz. I also loved the AMC miniseries The Night Manager.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
I can't remember the exact name, but something like "Earth Without People". It showed how nature would reclaim cities if all people were gone. Show the effects after one year, 2, 5, 10, etc. Especially interesting was seeing Manhattan reclaimed and becoming almost prehistoric with animals of all types taking over. I think it was on History Channel 10 years ago or so.
Yea that was "Life After People", from 2009.

I used to love history channel, when it actually had history on instead of reality TV junk.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #35

I liked one called "Connections" , James Burke. It was on PBS/BBC. Showed different discoveries built on one another that eventually ended up with something we use in modern life.

Also did another one called "The Day the Universe Changed"
Old 06-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Mygrations a new series. Twenty people, with differing skills, are attempting to follow the Wildabeast migration across the Sarenghete. No map, compass, weapons, no one in charge. I think 3 people dropped in three days. Seems like there's a fair amount of lions out there strolling around.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #37

Name your favorite obscure cable show

Not obscure, but not over the air:
Orange is the New Black and The Invincible Kimmie Schmidt. Our son turned us on to these.

We also do like American Pickers, How's it made and many things on the Food Network.

Make that The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt
Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
+1 Very funny show
Is a Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant show (they did the original British The Office and also Extras and Derek which are also 3 great shows!) where they send their friend Karl Pilkington across the globe and just cause him nothing but uncomfortableness and grief. I love it!
Ricky was always messing with Karl before this show anyways, especially all the stuff he used to do to him on the Ricky Gervais Show!