Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Naps, alarm or nap roulette?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Naps, alarm or nap roulette?

It's one of my secret luxuries, taking a short nap a few times a week. I wonder if others do this as well, and most important, do you set an alarm, naturally wake after a short time, or play the dreaded "nap roulette" where you take a nap with the possibility of waking in 20 min or 3 hours?
__________________

irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,748
I only nap about once a month and I play nap roulette but it usually ends up to be an hour .
__________________

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I only nap about once a month and I play nap roulette but it usually ends up to be an hour .
That is pretty good-if I do roulette it's more like 2, which is way too long
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sitges
Posts: 25
During the week whenever I get to bed late, let's say after midnight, or having trouble sleeping I will take a power nap the following day as I get up to drive my daughter to school. I rarely set an alarm and have slept any where from 10 min to 2 hours dependent on how tired I was. I chalk my ability to nap when I want as one of the greatest benefits to ER.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire52 View Post
During the week whenever I get to bed late, let's say after midnight, or having trouble sleeping I will take a power nap the following day as I get up to drive my daughter to school. I rarely set an alarm and have slept any where from 10 min to 2 hours dependent on how tired I was. I chalk my ability to nap when I want as one of the greatest benefits to ER.
It's a wonderful luxury, for sure!!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 700
Just got back from my post-lunch nap! Still working, so I usually go out to my car in the far reaches of the parking garage, almost daily. Usually lasts about 30 minutes, no alarm needed. But because I was up pretty late last night and got up early, today's nap lasted a little over an hour. There have been times when I had the 2 hour nap or so, but it's usually for similar cases like today where I was a little sleep deprived from the night before. When that happens, I usually feel groggy for the rest of the day - I try to avoid that.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,380
Most of my naps aren't scheduled naps but of the dozing off variety.

Certain foods (onions, honey graham crackers) get me sleepy so I find after eating them the choice is to take a nap to refresh or fight falling asleep for forty winks.

I usually don't set an alarm unless I have an early appointment in the morning.

My favorite napping spot is a nice leather chair and ottoman for for my feet in the living room.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Just got back from my post-lunch nap! Still working, so I usually go out to my car in the far reaches of the parking garage, almost daily. Usually lasts about 30 minutes, no alarm needed. But because I was up pretty late last night and got up early, today's nap lasted a little over an hour. There have been times when I had the 2 hour nap or so, but it's usually for similar cases like today where I was a little sleep deprived from the night before. When that happens, I usually feel groggy for the rest of the day - I try to avoid that.
I agree that the long ones can make a person groggy. When I nap too long I swear I get up and stumble around like Ozzy Osbourne for 10 min trying to determine where I am.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Most of my naps aren't scheduled naps but of the dozing off variety.

Certain foods (onions, honey graham crackers) get me sleepy so I find after eating them the choice is to take a nap to refresh or fight falling asleep for forty winks.

I usually don't set an alarm unless I have an early appointment in the morning.
Honey graham crackers? I have never heard that! Interesting.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,562
Love the naps! I never set an alarm unless I really need to be somewhere and I'd be in danger of oversleeping. Usually they are just quick 15 minute cat naps. If I got up early for a long run or race I might zonk out harder. It's almost always in my recliner. Once in awhile on the stool at the kitchen counter. I very rarely go lay down in bed.

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of years, when I read a book, I'm almost certain to fall asleep. I wear prescription reading glasses so it's not that my eyes are straining to read. I even wake up, read another 10-30 pages, and fall back asleep sometimes. Anybody else?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Honey graham crackers? I have never heard that! Interesting.
I think that is the sugar. I've noticed. One cracker I'm fine. Two, I get drowsy. Three or more and I'd struggle to stay awake unless time for sugar to leave my system or I snooze.

For onions, I get really sleepy but either rough it out or about a 30 minute nap, then I feel refreshed.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Love the naps! I never set an alarm unless I really need to be somewhere and I'd be in danger of oversleeping. Usually they are just quick 15 minute cat naps. If I got up early for a long run or race I might zonk out harder. It's almost always in my recliner. Once in awhile on the stool at the kitchen counter. I very rarely go lay down in bed.

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of years, when I read a book, I'm almost certain to fall asleep. I wear prescription reading glasses so it's not that my eyes are straining to read. I even wake up, read another 10-30 pages, and fall back asleep sometimes. Anybody else?
I notice this only when I read in artificial light, meaning with interior lights on vs sun coming in the window. My eyes for sure get tired and I am not able to read as long.
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
irishgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wildwood
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I think that is the sugar. I've noticed. One cracker I'm fine. Two, I get drowsy. Three or more and I'd struggle to stay awake unless time for sugar to leave my system or I snooze.

For onions, I get really sleepy but either rough it out or about a 30 minute nap, then I feel refreshed.
Good job identifying the culprits of your drowsiness!
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,993
No napping for me, it throws off my next night's sleep.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
Good job identifying the culprits of your drowsiness!
Oh, I forgot to add, I plead guilty , surfing on the phone in bed. Must be the blue light.

Usually surfing an hour or two before getting up for good for the day and sometimes feel exhausted. I'm actually have to be on good behavior the next few days as have to get up early for an appointment then some long driving.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,897
Serial napper here and say, Alexa set timer for 60 minutes.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Car-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Citizen of Texas
Posts: 3,206
Nap roulette for sure. I often play it several times a day. Sometime a game last for 10 mins other times I can play for almost an hour. If I really want to fall asleep fast, I just turn on CNN or MSNBC for background noise. Out like a light.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of years, when I read a book, I'm almost certain to fall asleep. I wear prescription reading glasses so it's not that my eyes are straining to read. I even wake up, read another 10-30 pages, and fall back asleep sometimes. Anybody else?

This happens to me all the time and then I have to reread some of it.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #19
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 19,371
Isn't naps when one wants for how long one wants one of the bennies of retirement? I play nap roulette, anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 2,354
Nap roulette! Unless I have an appointment of some sort. Naps range from 30 minutes to three hours. Never affects my sleep that night.
__________________

Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt Nap Estate Planning frayne FIRE and Money 23 03-30-2014 10:01 AM
Do You Take Naps? JustMeUC Health and Early Retirement 62 07-27-2013 05:39 AM
Do You Nap? tgotch Other topics 27 01-21-2010 07:29 PM
Naps haha Health and Early Retirement 30 09-02-2007 07:14 AM
Make Money at Roulette! Hyperborea Other topics 32 03-20-2005 10:23 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.