Nasa will pay you $100,000 to stay in bed for 60 days

It's good money, 100k for 60 days. However, no way could I stay in bed for two months . I just couldn't do it.

I did. Nine years old with Rheumatic fever. No thats not enough money.

The only reason I wouldn't do it is i'd have to go to the bathroom in bed. I won't voluntarily do that regardless of the money involved. If I could get out of bed just when I need to use the restroom then i'd do it for $15K.

According to a recent email, a Nigerian prince will pay you $100,000 if you send him a bed within 60 days.

Good thing it's not real. If I stayed in bed for 60 days, I'd probably gain 150 pounds! :LOL: Can't take that risk. :D

All kidding aside, I was in a very similar NASA experiment a long time ago.

It was part of Skylab, our first space station back in the 1970s.

To try to mimic the loss of muscle tone experienced by the astronauts due to microgravity, volunteer such as myself were restricted to bed for 48 hours. We were not allowed to even move around in bed, just had to lie still on our backs.

The scientists involved were great and tried to help us by changing channels on the TV to give us a bit of entertainment. They would also talk to us and made an effort to keep us from going crazy.

Periodically, like every couple of hours, they would take readings of our vital signs. One key tool was an experimental plethysmograph, to monitor blood flow in muscles IIRC.

Before the 48 hour stint, I had to eat a special "low bulk" diet to ensure there was no urgent need to poop during the experiment.

Doesn't sound all that bad, but I can assure you it was pure torture. You got so restless and the urge to wiggle around was so strong that as time went by I was ready to scream. In fact, I was one of the few volunteers who made it nearly the whole 48 hours.

Virtually guarantees depression too.

Come to think of it, pretty sure as well there are people who actually do this already: comatose, paraplegic elderly, ..

Figured it wasn't real. I wouldn't do it anyway. It would probably take a year to regain my fitness, plus it would drive me nuts. I suppose I'd do it for some amount, but $100K is nowhere close.

All kidding aside, I was in a very similar NASA experiment a long time ago.

It was part of Skylab, our first space station back in the 1970s.

To try to mimic the loss of muscle tone experienced by the astronauts due to microgravity, volunteer such as myself were restricted to bed for 48 hours. We were not allowed to even move around in bed, just had to lie still on our backs.

The scientists involved were great and tried to help us by changing channels on the TV to give us a bit of entertainment. They would also talk to us and made an effort to keep us from going crazy.

Periodically, like every couple of hours, they would take readings of our vital signs. One key tool was an experimental plethysmograph, to monitor blood flow in muscles IIRC.

Before the 48 hour stint, I had to eat a special "low bulk" diet to ensure there was no urgent need to poop during the experiment.

Doesn't sound all that bad, but I can assure you it was pure torture. You got so restless and the urge to wiggle around was so strong that as time went by I was ready to scream. In fact, I was one of the few volunteers who made it nearly the whole 48 hours.

You had TV? I didn't, 9 years old and stuck in bed for 10 weeks. DM made frequent library runs.

They put me in the hospital for about 2 weeks. The hospital was Catholic and full of nuns. I was so happy the day mom and my sister snuck the pet cat into visit me. DM had him hidden in a huge straw purse. She told the story later about riding up the elevator with a nun and the cat meowing in her purse.

Based on a true story. They have paid, but nowhere near $100K.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/lying-around.html

I know multiple people who have done NASA bed rest studies. They are definitely real but pay in the neighborhood of $15K +/-, not $100K. I do research studies for a living but don't do anything that requires going to the bathroom in bed or any kind of stool collection. I would not do a bed rest study if it required using a catheter to pee and a bed pan regardless of the payout.

The only reason I wouldn't do it is i'd have to go to the bathroom in bed. I won't voluntarily do that regardless of the money involved. If I could get out of bed just when I need to use the restroom then i'd do it for $15K.

That's what I was also thinking of. Heck, there will be a time later in our life when we have to wear a diaper. Why start that now when you do not have to?

Good thing it's not real. If I stayed in bed for 60 days, I'd probably gain 150 pounds! :LOL: Can't take that risk. :D

No, people will not gain weight because they will be afraid to eat. All that food has to go somewhere. See above.

Last edited:
Funny thread coming from people who stress over having enough to pay other people $100,000 to make sure they can live in bed for way more than 60 days.

Funny thread coming from people who stress over having enough to pay other people $100,000 to make sure they can live in bed for way more than 60 days.
Huh?

Both my father and father-in-law were bedridden on/off for longer than 60 days before they died. It's not fun.

They did not get paid anything :) , but somebody else paid big bucks to the nursing and convalescent homes during that time.

Attachments

• 71306_42711_0.jpg
    71306_42711_0.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom