NASCAR

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
Anybody watch the Daytona?

I'm a Jeff Gordon fan, and a fan of the team by extension, so it was fun to watch Jimmie Johnson win his first "Superbowl of NASCAR". I am tired of listening to all those player haters out there like stewart and newman whine about cheating even when his vehicle passes inspection. Isn't Dale Jr. the most overrated driver in the sport? Talk about somebody cashing in on his name....

We watch it, not so much since Dale Sr died but dh seems to be getting back into it. Pretty sad state when we are hoping Jeff Gordon wins....he was the new boy we all hated and were convinced was cheating, Tony Stewart now has that place of honor in our house. Actually it was a pretty good race, my son in law had tickets for it, he's a wannabe driver up this way, or was, don't think he can afford it this year.

Definitely a NASCAR fan here. And I was pleased to see Jimmy win it. He's had a lot of 2nd place type of luck for a number of years. I do not like Tony Stewart for his attitude.. but he is a skilled driver. Am really not sure what Mark Martin is trying to prove staying another year, but as senior statesman, he has the right to stay.

I sorta got started on NASCAR last year...but only because it's in HD and looks fantastic. (TV was new, looking for something HD to watch at all times.) Not really "into it", but I watched the Daytona...mostly because it was on the Olympic channel. Stewart was a jerk. "He started it, and I finished it." Sounds like a great way to get some people killed.

I grew up around stock cars and racing, grandad was a auto body man and a welder, every Sunday morning there would 4 or 5 stock cars in his (now my) driveway waiting to be put back together. We would watch them wreck them on Sat night then watch them being put back together the next day.

Hubbys son in law was racing until this year so we would go every week to watch him race (wreck and lose).

I still enjoy it although it's become soooo commericalized like every other sport. Actually it's something to fall asleep by on a lazy Sunday afternoon when there isn't a Red Soxs game.

Cute Fuzzy Bulldog said:
  Its watching a traffic jam in Boston, only faster

I drive to Boston every day, sometimes it feels like a NASCAR race.

If you talk to some redneck good old boys, you'll understand why they like to watch shiny objects drive around in a circle.

LOL Yep, the first "professional" drivers were all moonshine runners.

The thing is, until HDTV, I couldn't stand the stuff. I remember a friend said, "oh you gotta go see it live! When they come around the corner the wind is so powerful, it picks up all the trash in the stands and blows it right out of the stadium!" To which I replied, "you mean it lifts them up by their suspenders? Do they let go of their Jack Daniels bottle?" :D

But in HD, for some reason it's just plain cool.

Outtahere said:
LOL Yep, the first "professional" drivers were all moonshine runners.

Anyone out there remember the classic moonshine runner B movie from 1958? "Thunder Road", starring Robert Mitchum.

The thing probably ran 50 separate times at the theatre in my backwoods home town. It became a Saturday night event, and I can still remember the theme song:

BALLAD OF THUNDER ROAD

Let me tell the story, I can tell it all
About the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol
His daddy made the whiskey, son, he drove the load
When his engine roared, they called the highway Thunder Road.

Sometimes into Ashville, sometimes Memphis town
The revenoors chased him but they couldn’t run him down
Each time they thought they had him, his engine would explode
He'd go by like they were standin’ still on Thunder Road.

(CHORUS)
And there was thunder, thunder over Thunder Road
Thunder was his engine, and white lightning was his load
There was moonshine, moonshine to quench the Devil’s thirst
The law they swore they'd get him, but the Devil got him first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052293/

Laurence said:
But in HD, for some reason it's just plain cool.

Yep. I'm not a real NASCAR fan, but it was the first HD telecast I saw after getting our HD bigsrceen. Pretty darned impressive with the surround sound. :eek:

Zoooooooommmmmmmmmmm! Zoooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
My Dad always enjoyed the races. It was always on tv when I went over to my parents for a Sunday visit.(Oh yes....and for lunch :)) Never cared much for Nascar but I alway watched it with him until he fell asleep in the recliner and then I turned to a golf tournament. I miss those days.  :'(

The "Nascar Drone" is better than any sleeping pill ever invented. I enjoy watching Nascar, however, I don't think I've ever watched an entire race. The drone of a long green flag run lulls me to sleep very quickly. I thought my daughter had become a fan until she told me that it was the best sleep she'd ever had.

I am incredibly impressed with the drivers ability to control an automobile at high speeds while bumping and banging other drivers. The IROC races feature drivers from other types of racing competing in a Nascar format. Most of the non-Nascar drivers do poorly in the events and I attribute most of it to the lack of experience with close contact racing.

What is there not to like. If you go to a race, you might be lucky and be able to get a fried 1" thick slab of Bologna sandwich. The drivers shamelessly pitch their sponsors. You can watch a shiny car that is advertising erectile dysfunction drugs on the hood. Many of the young ladies forget to wear bras, and if you are lucky enough to be in the stands someone might pour beer on you. And all those men in uniforms. Throw a bucket of cold water on me.
It was even better when cigarettes were promoted, at some races they gave out free cigarettes!!! The whole spectacle is a giant money making machine.
We also follow but tape the race and fast forward because the announcers do love to yap yap yap.

And sometimes there is a lot of fighting and a race breaks out.

NASCAR is okay but real racing starts 3-12-06, Formula-One. The technology involved and driver skill have to be watched to be appreciated - thanks to speedvision, I get to see the whole season -  :D

I can understand anyone’s appreciation of those forms of motorsport. Anything with an engine has an attraction for me.  For racing excitement though, I can’t see how anything can compare to MOTOGP or Superbike races.  The absolute control on the very edge of what’s possible is right out there where it can be seen.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.  It is just far enough from mainstream that the TV presentations just show the action, give some information and don’t try to tell you what to think.  Just my opinion.

Non

I agree long green flag runs are a great time to catch a nap, I'm usually on the computer or wandering around the house and it's understood that I will wake dh if any action (crashes or fights) happens. My dh went to Daytona once, said he wished he'd sold his tickets and watched the race across the street in a bar. He couldn't see, people stand up during the whole race and the seats are horrible. He said it's too commercialized with all the T-shirt booths and prices were outrageous on everything.

Myself, I enjoy the local Sat night races, sitting on wood bleachers, swatting misquitoes, eating carnival food then heading to the pits for after race party.

Myself, I enjoy the local Sat night races, sitting on wood bleachers, swatting misquitoes, eating carnival food then heading to the pits for after race party.

And picking rubber tidbits out of your eyes, teeth, hair, and ears for the next weeks... :p

Have funds -- I learned a long time ago to sit as high up as I could, I use to think it was for a better view, I was wrong.

Another sport I enjoy watching (maybe it's not a sport) is Bull Riding, the flying bits and pieces there are sticky and smell.

Back
Top Bottom