Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She got 200 hours community service (cleaning parks up?) and probation. Truly sounds like she either was somehow absolutely clueless (or convinced everyone that was the case). "That clueless" ~ "didn't know water was wet" IMHO--and, yes, I did a lot of stupid stuff at 21.

On one level, social media gave her the nonphysical equivalent of caning, the stocks, or the scarlet letter. As always, much shaming was administered (in this case, justified--apart from the death threats, etc.) Hopefully, others will learn.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:47 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
True, but we all know that's not going to happen in the US justice system.

OTOH, there is some leeway in where he serves his sentence...

Good one! But we are getting so soft, even that isn't allowed anymore with the frequency it needs... Our country needs needs either me or Putin installed as "President" to tighten up our justice system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
what's amazing is that people like nocket either thought that (1) they were doing nothing wrong or (2) believed they wouldn't get caught despite publicizing their crime on social media. or 3) they weren't thinking.
fify

Reminds me of a co-worker back in the day. As company counsel he often dealt with the consequences of things gone bad. He said he didn't mind so much the people trying to circumvent the rules, because that was to be expected - but there was nothing more dangerous and destructive than a moron with initiative.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy
what's amazing is that people like nocket either thought that (1) they were doing nothing wrong or (2) believed they wouldn't get caught despite publicizing their crime on social media. or 3) they weren't thinking or the incident involved the phrase "Hold my beer and watch this."

Re-FIFY
Old 06-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
These idiots dont need prison time and wasting everyones tax dollars even more... They need an "exclusive mandatory appointment" with a Master Singapore Caner. The lasting impression from this visit would accomplish the same and save money.
My first impression had been that she won't consider the 200 hrs much of a punishment, and will be doing it again.
Unless of course she had 1 hand amputated.
But she is only 23, and was just being an idiot. Hopefully she had to pay for her own lawyer, so the legal bill would be many thousands.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Get the bear spray ready! This bear at Yellowstone knows how to open a car door to meet the tourists.
Yellowstone Bear Opens Tourist's Car Door; Terrorizes Family [VIDEO]
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ignorent jerks.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Ignorent jerks.

I cannot believe these people were boy scout leaders and one of them was on disability. If you read the comments I simply cannot believe how many people were saying it was no big deal. These people should get more than probation.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I cannot believe these people were boy scout leaders and one of them was on disability. If you read the comments I simply cannot believe how many people were saying it was no big deal. These people should get more than probation.

Besides a fine and jail time, these guys should be made to put the rock back where it was.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let me get this straight;
A bear shot with an ear shattering noise and energy of 357 or other caliber smaller than a in-it's-tracks 44mag or larger caliber is going to continue a charge as long as it physically can put one paw in front of another, but will stop a full charge, turn and run at the wiff or contact of bear spray? I'd believe that if the spray hit the bear square in the eyes and instantly blinded him and I could sidestep.

Watch this video and ask yourself if bear spray would have helped at all in this bear charge?
(Warning, the bear is shot in order to stop the charge)

There are a bunch of youtube videos of guys spraying themselves or each other with bear spray. They are not instantly incapacitated. Some are not even aware of the physical discomfort due to the booze in their system. (Sorta like the Adrenalin, say, in a bear charging and wanting to bite you in two.)
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
A bear shot with an ear shattering noise and energy of 357 or other caliber smaller than a in-it's-tracks 44mag or larger caliber is going to continue a charge as long as it physically can put one paw in front of another, but will stop a full charge, turn and run at the wiff or contact of bear spray? I'd believe that if the spray hit the bear square in the eyes and instantly blinded him and I could sidestep.

Watch this video and ask yourself if bear spray would have helped at all in this bear charge?

There are a bunch of youtube videos of guys spraying themselves or each other with bear spray. They are not instantly incapacitated. Some are not even aware of the physical discomfort due to the booze in their system. (Sorta like the Adrenalin, say, in a bear charging and wanting to bite you in two.)

The consensus from a quick googling appears to be yes, bear spray is more effective. I looked at four articles. I think this one was the most convincing.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...arging-grizzly

"The results? Bear spray, when properly used, halted aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of the cases. Of the 175 people involved in the bear-spray encounters, only three were injured and none required hospitalization. Wind interfered with the spray in only five incidents, and in no case, stresses Smith, did it fail to reach the target. Twelve users reported irritation from the spray, but the irritation was minor in all but two instances. And in the 71 encounters when bear spray was used, not once did the can malfunction.

By comparison, Smith's examination of the use of firearms in hundreds of bear encounters shows that bullets deterred a charge just two-thirds of the time, and that it takes an average of four shots to stop a bear."
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
The consensus from a quick googling appears to be yes, bear spray is more effective. I looked at four articles. I think this one was the most convincing.

Use Pepper Spray Instead of Guns to Stop a Charging Grizzly | Field & Stream

"The results? Bear spray, when properly used, halted aggressive bear behavior in 92 percent of the cases. Of the 175 people involved in the bear-spray encounters, only three were injured and none required hospitalization. Wind interfered with the spray in only five incidents, and in no case, stresses Smith, did it fail to reach the target. Twelve users reported irritation from the spray, but the irritation was minor in all but two instances. And in the 71 encounters when bear spray was used, not once did the can malfunction.

By comparison, Smith's examination of the use of firearms in hundreds of bear encounters shows that bullets deterred a charge just two-thirds of the time, and that it takes an average of four shots to stop a bear."
+1 and its recommended by the National Parks Service:https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view...25C13B55C070BE
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post

He used a rifle, and a rifle has a lot more power than a handgun of the same caliber as the barrel is longer and often the round has more propellant.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...arging-grizzly

If I was part of the 8% that was not finding the spray effective, I would immediately change my strategy to focus on outrunning the person I was with.

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

And then we have this:

Woman banned from US land for defacing rock formations and posting on Instagram | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
But after proudly posting her work on Instagram, she provoked outrage on social media and was later arrested.
Some of the vandalism proved difficult to remove as sandblasting and chemical stripping techniques used to remove paint can cause irreplaceable damage to natural features.
Quote:
In one post from the time, she wrote: 'It's art, not vandalism. I am an artist.'
The case also prompted a White House petition demanding she be prosecuted with more than 10,000 people signing the document.
Really?!?! This person does not see the problem with defacing natural beauty and property that belongs to all of us?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
............Really?!?! This person does not see the problem with defacing natural beauty and property that belongs to all of us?
She is an artist.

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national parks