Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I'd be happy to let you use my card just to get you moving along (and out of my way).
Especially the ones that (seem to) make a game of seeing how many items they can get away with going through the express line. We call 'em.... "Expressholes".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The store we shop at has some good deals if you use their card. If you purchase a certain amount of produce in a month, you receive a coupon for 20% off your next produce purchase. That's especially nice with the warmer "salad" weather coming up!
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Ah, if you are ever in front of me in the supermarket, please don't call the manager over to save $.48. I'll be glad to let you swipe my club card.
I had a cashier stop me from loaning my card to the person in front of me. "I'm sorry, but the person paying has to use their own card." I could hardly believe it. What next? I.D required for cash sales to make sure no one is using a purloined card to save 15 cents on toilet paper?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Coupons. In many stores, coupons are now printed on the backs of receipts -- some for products actually purchased, and some for products competing with those actually purchased.

You get those even without a card... in some stores here they are printed separate.... I have not looked at them in a long time...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always helps to know the 'rules' for any sale- supermarket or elsewhere.
And with price of gas it helps to have a shopping plan. Avoid making special trips just for few cents better sale. I've found DW wasting $1+ in gas by driving extra 4-5mi out of her way just to "save" 50cts on a gal of milk.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #26

I find that usually you can get one for the sale price, you don't need to buy 10. I watch the register or ask the checkout person. And I carry the little stupid card for the grocery store - most of them I leave in the car, but I carry a couple that I go to a lot on my key ring.

I buy in bulk. I find it's worth it to have an extra freezer so I can stock up on stuff that's on sale. Also the Costco membership has paid for itself many times over. So - when the stuff goes on sale - I buy.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #27

Is that what's known as market timing?
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've asked about this at my store. If it's, for example, 10 for $5.00, you can buy any amount and the item is $.50 each. You don't have to buy 10.

Unless it's a meat department Buy One Get One Free sale. In that case you must buy 2 of them and the lower priced one is the free one.

One of the stores I go to sometimes has a deal or rebate on a number of a brand's items that you have to buy all at the same time, like 6 Proctor & Gamble products and get $3 rebate at the register. In that case you have to fulfill the deal requirements all in the same transaction.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Coupons. In many stores, coupons are now printed on the backs of receipts -- some for products actually purchased, and some for products competing with those actually purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
You get those even without a card... in some stores here they are printed separate.... I have not looked at them in a long time...
Coupons in general, yes, but it's more effective to target shoppers based on their purchasing history & habits gleaned from card data over the long haul. We've had instances of switching brands, and subsequently getting coupons for the former brand.

Tyro
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
These cards are used to build a profile of your buying habits, which is valuable information and is sold to lots of folks. I'm not big on participating in that stuff, I'm not sure everyone in the universe needs to know what I buy at the store ("hey, that stuff is medicine!"). So, I gave a slightly misspelled name and totally fictitious phone number, address, and email address when I filled out the application. The card works just fine.
I don't think I've ever turned in the application for one of those cards, and I have plenty of them.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't think I've ever turned in the application for one of those cards, and I have plenty of them.
If it weren't for the compensation (savings on grocery bill) there would be no reason to.

At least one chain I know of no longer does their own coupons (though they still honor others), the rationale being the cards are much cheaper, saving shoppers even more (though that may be partially hype, it does cost to have coupons printed, distributed, processed, etc.)

I think the membership chains (Costco, Sam's, etc.) are even worse because the card is required just to shop there, and at checkout.

Tyro
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 1990s, a local supermarket chain introduced its shoppers discount card (which could also be used if customers wanted to use personal checks - when it was cash or check only). For the first week, we got discounts on many popular items such as milk and soda. But soon thereafter, the discounts were only on more obscure items I never bought. I did not like the store knowing everything I bought there while receiving maybe one 50-cent discount every 6 months, so I stopped using the card. A few years later, another store opened so I began shopping there (no discount card). A few years after that, the first store went out of business and another store took its place - and they have a discount card similarly useless while they charge more than the other store I still shop at!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote