Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

NE Patriots, cheating, and related topics
Old 12-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

NE Patriots, cheating, and related topics

I'll stop bringing it up when they stop doing it.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Then start your own thread so you don't cause the closure of this one.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Patriot game just before this inflategate game was very close. One has to wonder if they underinfated the balls in that game and got away with it and how much it helped Brady.
Quote:
ad nau·se·am
ad ˈnôzēəm/
adverb
referring to something that has been done or repeated so often that it has become annoying or tiresome.
aka

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are probably one of the most monitored teams in the NFL and since there is nothing currently in the air, then it is safe to assume they have stopped doing it... so there you go.. stop bringing it up as you said you would.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #25

The moderators created this thread, transferring the argumentative/hate posts over here from the NFL 2015 thread--then no one takes them up on it.

So...
I'M GLAD THE CHEATNG PATRIOTS AND THE CHEATING TOM BRADY AND CHEATING BILL BELICHICK LOST!!!!!

(A thread is a terrible thing to waste).
Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

redduck, which game did your team play last weekend? Oh.... I forgot.... they were out on the golf course. So sad.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
redduck, which game did your team play last weekend? Oh.... I forgot.... they were out on the golf course. So sad.
Well, there is that
Old 01-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #28

You have to admit that the NFL thread was more fun before they split it
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Pete Rosa not being in the HOF is a complete travesty. Why does gambling have anything to do with how great a player he was? I understand why they dont want to allow him back into baseball but the HOF is a different subject all together.

There are plenty of people in the HOF who are not the most innocent of people.

Is Pete Rose one of the best baseball players of all time? Nobody can possibly say No. Let him in.

Rose has never been accused of betting AGAINST his team. Personally I dont even care that he gambled. Especially when he gambled ON his team. That just made him try even harder. Why is that a bad thing?
Here's why baseball has banned betting by players since 1920, and has a sign to that effect posted in every locker room. Rose might never have bet against his team, but he didn't bet on his team every single game.

Now put yourself in the bookie's shoes. Every once in a while, he doesn't bet on the Reds game that day. See how that could be a pretty nice indicator to the bookie that the Reds aren't likely to do well that day? Some games he bet a lot, some he bet less, some he didn't bet at all. What does that say to the bookie? This is why betting on games can not be tolerated. You don't have to intentionally strike out or make errors to throw a game. A heavy better who doesn't bet on a game that he manages creates the suspicion that something fishy could be going on. That cannot be allowed.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. I'm not saying other people didn't do bad things either. But Rule 21-b has been posted in every clubhouse for decades, stating anyone who bets will be permanently ineligible. And that is for good reason. He knew what would happen if he got caught.

As my grandfather, occasional mangler of phrases, used to say, "He buttered his bread, now he has to lie in it."
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
The moderators created this thread, transferring the argumentative/hate posts over here from the NFL 2015 thread--then no one takes them up on it.

So...
I'M GLAD THE CHEATNG PATRIOTS AND THE CHEATING TOM BRADY AND CHEATING BILL BELICHICK LOST!!!!!

My sentiments exactly, redduck. Although, it would have been fun to see Brady and crew get crushed by Cam Newton and the Panthers in the Super Bowl, had they managed to slip by the Broncos.......
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #31

Quote:
You have to admit that the NFL thread was more fun before they split it
Yes, and NFL thread was even more fun before Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown and Big Ben were injured.

However, even before Bell, Brown and Ben (aka Ben Brown-Bell (trying saying that real fast 8 times) were injured, I didn't like the Patriots (and, I won't like the Patriots next season, either). However, I do wish the Steelers had Brady as back-up quarterback instead of Landry Jones.

+the thread was more fun when DeAngelo Williams was able to play (Probably was more fun for DeAngelo as well).
Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
Here's why baseball has banned betting by players since 1920, and has a sign to that effect posted in every locker room. Rose might never have bet against his team, but he didn't bet on his team every single game.

Now put yourself in the bookie's shoes. Every once in a while, he doesn't bet on the Reds game that day. See how that could be a pretty nice indicator to the bookie that the Reds aren't likely to do well that day? Some games he bet a lot, some he bet less, some he didn't bet at all. What does that say to the bookie? This is why betting on games can not be tolerated. You don't have to intentionally strike out or make errors to throw a game. A heavy better who doesn't bet on a game that he manages creates the suspicion that something fishy could be going on. That cannot be allowed.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. I'm not saying other people didn't do bad things either. But Rule 21-b has been posted in every clubhouse for decades, stating anyone who bets will be permanently ineligible. And that is for good reason. He knew what would happen if he got caught.

As my grandfather, occasional mangler of phrases, used to say, "He buttered his bread, now he has to lie in it."
It's even more than that. A baseball team has limited pitching resources over a season, so a manager has to use them wisely. This means you don't use your top reliever in a game that is essentially lost, but rather one of your mop up men to finish the game. But if you've got a big bet on your team, you might be less likely to give up on a game and use your most valuable resource even though the best strategy for the whole season would be to save him for when he'd be more likely to get or preserve a win.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

So...

We could care less about what you think........

I was satisfied that they made it to the AFC championship for the 5th consecutive year with all the injuries they had and they'll be in there again next year as long as we have Belichick and Brady the GOAT.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Yup. NE has played in 7 of the last 10 AFC Championships... Steelers only 2. NE has played in 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships... Steelers only 5.

Almost makes one feel sorry for Steelers fans that their team bows out early so often.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #35

No Pats fan but credit to them for getting so far despite all the injured personnel.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yup. NE has played in 7 of the last 10 AFC Championships... Steelers only 2. NE has played in 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships... Steelers only 5.

Almost makes one feel sorry for Steelers fans that their team bows out early so often.
Yeah, but people buy more Steeler jerseys.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Hard to believe that given that they only have 2 players in the top 25 of jersey sales. BTW, wanna guess who is number 1?

Top Selling NFL Player Jerseys on NFLShop.com

Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #38

Jan 08, 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers lead NFL in merchandise sales

Updated 2011-01-08 3:04 PM

Ask NFL TV executives who air as many Pittsburgh Steelers games as possible and they'll give you the reason: The team has one of the biggest national fan bases.
Want proof?
The Steelers ranked No. 1 out of the NFL's 32 clubs in team merchandise sales at NFLShop.com this season, said Joanna Hunter of the NFL on Thursday.
+++++++++++++++

I suppose you're now going to complain that this article was written in January of 2011.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
My sentiments exactly, redduck. Although, it would have been fun to see Brady and crew get crushed by Cam Newton and the Panthers in the Super Bowl, had they managed to slip by the Broncos.......
Nonsense. The last time the Patriots lost a game by more than 10 points was 32 games ago.......They don't get crushed very often unlike the Broncos who got crushed by the Seahawks in the SB two years ago or the Cardinals who did not show up for the game last Sunday. The Patriots are a tough team that always battles to the end.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:07 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Nonsense. The last time the Patriots lost a game by more than 10 points was 32 games.......They don't get crushed very often unlike the Broncos who got crushed by the Seahawks in the SB two years or the Cardinals who did not show up for the game last Sunday. The Patriots are a tough team that always battles to the end.
True. They could have been crushed on Sunday if Denver's offense was better. The Broncos' defense was dominant. I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen Brady hit and harassed that much. In most of those cases, the Pats have lost, though as you say, almost never by blowout.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote