Join Early Retirement Today

Near Tragedy Today
Old 11-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Near Tragedy Today

Coming back from my sister's house I almost got involved in a tragedy today.

I was driving about 25-30 mph..when this kid about 11 years old didn't look both ways and decided to J-walk and starting running across the street. Good thing I saw him but had to hit the breaks, swerve away and blare the horn. He did finally see me and stopped and ran back to his mom. I missed him by about 10 feet or less.

Good thing I was focused on the road.

My subconscious must have took over as before realizing what happened I had already made the maneuvers. Luckily, my eyes were focused on the road.

To be honest...thinking of what could have been still has me a little shaken.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Whew, close call! Glad you were able to keep from hitting him.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Luckily, I had spotting him while approaching seeing that he looked one way, but didn't look my way and just started running across. I'm sure the spotting helped in my reaction time, even subconsciously.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I was driving about 25-30 mph..when this kid about 11 years old didn't look both ways and decided to J-walk and starting running across the street. Good thing I saw him but had to hit the breaks, swerve away and blare the horn. He did finally see me and stopped and ran back to his mom. I missed him by about 10 feet or less.

My subconscious must have took over as before realizing what happened I had already made the maneuvers. Luckily, my eyes were focused on the road.

I worry about something like this can happen to me and thought about getting an umbrella insurance. My insurance company solicited me for the coverage - $50/month for $1M coverage.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. Luckily, I had spotting him while approaching seeing that he looked one way, but didn't look my way and just started running across. I'm sure the spotting helped in my reaction time, even subconsciously.
Thank goodness you had good situational awareness!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #6

If you'd been texting/phoning like half the people I see driving you'd have nailed him. Driving is something that requires full attention; well done. Once in a blue moon I'll just answer the phone and am stunned at realizing how easy it is to drift into danger.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

First thing that came to mind is you saved a life that day.

I know accidents happen but some come at a high cost. I can't count how many times I've seen people cross the street without even looking since they're glued to there cell phones. I know that wasn't the case here but am glad you were looking out. That person is soooo lucky and I can only imagine what the mother was thinking at the time.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
gone traveling

I have seen this many times, no idea what is going on around them, when its dark all you see is the glow of the screen on their faces!
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I worry about something like this can happen to me and thought about getting an umbrella insurance. My insurance company solicited me for the coverage - $50/month for $1M coverage.
That seems like very expensive coverage. I live in Florida and we get hammered on any liability insurance because we have so much fraud here. Our rate was $450 with my husband's fender bender on his record. Now without the fender bender, the cost has now dropped to $200 per year. Less than $17 per month for $1M coverage.

Also, we don't have any 'toys' that would drive up the cost of coverage.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:

Good job driving.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

That would be a hard thing to deal with even if one was not at fault. Glad you were alert.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Agree with Buckeye, that sounds very expensive. I don't have my numbers at work but I know we pay a lot less than that for 1m of coverage.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Check out a quote from personalumbrella.com for some comparisons.

And good job on the sharp driving, there!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #14

How lives can be changed forever in just a few seconds. It is such an overwhelming, mind-blowing reality.

Glad you were alert with good reflexes!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I always assume the other person - pedestrian, driver, etc. - is NOT paying attention...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I always assume the other person - pedestrian, driver, etc. - is NOT paying attention...
Important and hard, it is still easy to be distracted for only a moment, and that's all it takes for a tragedy. Strangely, I don't remember much from my high school days, especially the academic part. But I can recall just about every drivers ed class and the things we were taught are clear as day to me. So very helpful over the years.

Quote:

A less fortunate outcome might have left you in trouble with the authorities, which could lead to overnight jail. Then you'd be stirred, not shaken.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Important and hard, it is still easy to be distracted for only a moment, and that's all it takes for a tragedy. Strangely, I don't remember much from my high school days, especially the academic part. But I can recall just about every drivers ed class and the things we were taught are clear as day to me. So very helpful over the years.

A less fortunate outcome might have left you in trouble with the authorities, which could lead to overnight jail. Then you'd be stirred, not shaken.
So many things flashed through my mind in the matter of a second or two. First was chills up my spine bracing for a tragic impact, then brake, blare horn and swerve, then the less fortunate outcome. All in a flash.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
How lives can be changed forever in just a few seconds. It is such an overwhelming, mind-blowing reality.

Glad you were alert with good reflexes!

So very true.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm glad things worked out. A second can change everything.

The scariest moment of my life involved a car and an ~4 year old kid. I was 21 and a senior in college. I had gone home for lunch. I had 10 minutes to get back to work. My car was parked in front of my apartment. There was a wide lane for cars to drive in and then another row of cars. Past that row of cars was a grassy area in the middle of the apartments. Two kids, one ~4, the other ~6 were playing in the grassy area. I saw them when I got in my car. I started the car, put it in reverse and looked over my shoulder to back out of my space. The older kid was looking at me with a completely expressionless face and I could no longer see the younger kid. They had been 70-80 ft away just a couple of seconds ago. The older kid was still there. Just a few feet to the left or right and the younger kid would be hidden behind one of the cars parked behind me.

The thought process in my head went like this. "There is no way the younger kid crossed the distance to my car, its only been 2 or 3 seconds since I saw him. He's behind one of those cars. I'm going to be late. Why is that kid staring at me? My girlfriend (today my wife) is right, I'm way too paranoid. Take your foot off the brake and get going, you are going to be late. Where is the little kid? Damn it, I gotta check."

I slammed the car in park and got out. I was pissed. I walked to the back of my car and found the little kid right behind my car with exhaust blowing in his face. He was picking up the little pebbles that had separated from the asphalt. I chased him off. After my hands stopped shaking I left and got to work late.

One paranoid whim is the only reason I didn't kill someone that day. 27 years later thinking about it still hits me.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I guess I should thank you... I was that kid 40 years ago. Still think about it from time to time.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote