Join Early Retirement Today

Need a GOOD water bottle..........
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need a GOOD water bottle..........

I am sick of all those water bottles that leave a plasticky or metal taste in them.

I would like the following:

1)32 ounces or so
2)Can be put in dishwasher
3)Non BPA
4)Keeps water cold for a fairly long time

Thanks,

FD

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

no personal experience with these other than looking at them in stores, but have heard friends say they like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottles. They're not very insulative, but you could buy/make a neoprene sleeve or sling for them.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you looked at the BPA free Nalgene bottles?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

This is the one I use . I don't notice any metal taste and it keeps my water cold for the two hours I am at the gym . The only problem I have with it is you have to unscrew the top to drink and since I wear water gloves this can be difficult .
Amazon.com: Lustre .8L (26 oz) Aluminum Sport Bottle with Screw Top & Caribiner Clip--Green: Health & Personal Care
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
no personal experience with these other than looking at them in stores, but have heard friends say they like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottles. They're not very insulative, but you could buy/make a neoprene sleeve or sling for them.
What he said. We own one Klean Kanteen and two other bottles stainless steel bottles from Costco, which were quite a bit cheaper. The only negative is that the Costco bottles have a stainless steel cap with a plastic loop, instead of a solid plastic top. It looks like this:

Klean Kanteen Classic Caps: Stainless Steel Loop Cap

This is a negative because a little bit of water has seeped into the stainless steel cap, presumably from the dishwasher. We love our stainless steel bottles though. Doesn't impart any taste or smell.

Amazon frequently has sales on the Klean Kanteen brand.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not at all what FD is looking for--at 16 oz. it's small and won't keep water cold--but this collapsible bottle written about in our Sunday paper intrigued me (except for the $8.95 price) for travel:

Travel bottle: Collapsible plastic travel bottle tucks away - chicagotribune.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water bottles.jpg (28.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
gone traveling

FD- here is a unit that meets nearly all of your specifications...

...and a manly blue color, I might add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sippycup.jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took a look at my bottle to see what the heck I was using for the gym. It is a Nathan Human Propulsion Laboratories stainless steel bottle. I have been using it for a year and like it. Holds 700 ml of water. I have never put it in the dishwasher, mostly just rinse it out at the sink(once in awhile). I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods mostly because it was cute(bright green with ladybugs).
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am sick of all those water bottles that leave a plasticky or metal taste in them.
Pour in a little JD. Problem solved.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #10

A friend of mine gave me one of these a year or so ago, after seeing me carry around disposable bottles of water:

Camelbak Better Bottle w/ Bite Cap - Blue 1 Liter Water Bottle

I've been really happy with it.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #11

FinanceDude: I just wanted to buy the same thing a couple weeks ago as a gift and did lots of homework (i.e., reading tons of reviews) on the exact size and all you want. Here is what I ordered, and it has arrived. I am very pleased with the product as it is a much stronger unit than I thought it would be, and did live up to all its positive reviews on Amazon.com.
It's: BPA free, leakproof, 32 ounces, easy to carry and well made.

Amazon.com: Contigo 32-Ounce BPA Free Water Bottle with Autoseal Lid and Carabineer Clip, Gray: Kitchen & Dining

Really, this is the best bottle I could find...and I looked like crazy for the perfect one. Just IMHO.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Amazon.com: Contigo 32-Ounce BPA Free Water Bottle with Autoseal Lid and Carabineer Clip, Gray: Kitchen & Dining

Really, this is the best bottle I could find...and I looked like crazy for the perfect one. Just IMHO.
I just throw a bike bottle in my pack when I am walking but those Contigos do look nice for hanging off a strap.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's what you want.
- Stainless steel body
- No BPAs or other other plastics in contact with the water. The lid gasket is 100% natural cork (easily replaced).
- Insulated cover to keep drink cool. Wet cover to serve as evaporative cooler for beverage (not possible with modern neoprene covers)
- Comes with a handy clip for affixing to a specially made belt.*
*Other accessories available which may be handy for outdoor exercise in some urban locales.
- Includes tin cup for a post-workout latte'

Old 04-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #14

This is my current favorite - it has a wide opening for easy pouring and cleaning, and the narrow one too which works well for my kids not spilling. Sigg had controversy because their old lining had BPA, but the new ones do not. I have heard the Klean Kanteen ones have some metallic taste as they are not lined, but I haven't tried so can't say myself. I also have the bpa free Nalgene which are also nice, but I would replace the plastic ones once a year or so.

Sigg Water Bottles - Red(which is actually Electric Pink)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
FinanceDude: I just wanted to buy the same thing a couple weeks ago as a gift and did lots of homework (i.e., reading tons of reviews) on the exact size and all you want. Here is what I ordered, and it has arrived. I am very pleased with the product as it is a much stronger unit than I thought it would be, and did live up to all its positive reviews on Amazon.com.
It's: BPA free, leakproof, 32 ounces, easy to carry and well made.

I meant to add dishwasher safe, also!
Old 04-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'm not convinced that the regular old bike plastic bottles are unsafe. I'm amazed at how quickly the plastic bottle fear spread.

Are plastic bottles dangerous?

All of a sudden everyone had stainless steel containers, which have a major drawback: you can't squeeze them.

I'm not a developing fetus, and I don't heat the bottles. I just use the regular old bike bottles.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #17

I went and ordered some of the Contigo bottles based upon what I read here and then reading some reviews. I went for the 24" ounce rather than the 32" ounce since I wanted a little smaller diameter.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I went and ordered some of the Contigo bottles based upon what I read here and then reading some reviews. I went for the 24" ounce rather than the 32" ounce since I wanted a little smaller diameter.
From what I read, the 32 oz. doesn't normally fit into the can holder in a car; however, I went back today and ordered the buy 3 get one free of the 32 oz. on amazon.com.

I figure I can put ice in them to keep water cold if I want, and can keep the rest of them filled in the fridge so they are cold when I pull them out. I'm trying to drink 3 of these a day = 12 glasses of water....then I'm strapping a Quick Johnny to my back for ez access.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #19

Yes I bought 4 because of the get one free. I was going to buy 3 anyway so it really was a free one.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm not convinced that the regular old bike plastic bottles are unsafe. I'm amazed at how quickly the plastic bottle fear spread.
My preference for stainless steel isn't because plastic is unsafe, it's because of taste. I don't like the taste from plastic. I prefer either glass or stainless steel.