Need a GOOD water bottle..........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am sick of all those water bottles that leave a plasticky or metal taste in them.

I would like the following:

1)32 ounces or so
2)Can be put in dishwasher
3)Non BPA
4)Keeps water cold for a fairly long time

Thanks,

FD

no personal experience with these other than looking at them in stores, but have heard friends say they like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottles. They're not very insulative, but you could buy/make a neoprene sleeve or sling for them.

no personal experience with these other than looking at them in stores, but have heard friends say they like the Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottles. They're not very insulative, but you could buy/make a neoprene sleeve or sling for them.

What he said. We own one Klean Kanteen and two other bottles stainless steel bottles from Costco, which were quite a bit cheaper. The only negative is that the Costco bottles have a stainless steel cap with a plastic loop, instead of a solid plastic top. It looks like this:

Klean Kanteen Classic Caps: Stainless Steel Loop Cap

This is a negative because a little bit of water has seeped into the stainless steel cap, presumably from the dishwasher. We love our stainless steel bottles though. Doesn't impart any taste or smell.

Amazon frequently has sales on the Klean Kanteen brand.

Attachments

• water bottles.jpg
    water bottles.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
FD- here is a unit that meets nearly all of your specifications...

...and a manly blue color, I might add.

Attachments

• sippycup.jpg
    sippycup.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
I took a look at my bottle to see what the heck I was using for the gym. It is a Nathan Human Propulsion Laboratories stainless steel bottle. I have been using it for a year and like it. Holds 700 ml of water. I have never put it in the dishwasher, mostly just rinse it out at the sink(once in awhile). I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods mostly because it was cute(bright green with ladybugs).

FinanceDude: I just wanted to buy the same thing a couple weeks ago as a gift and did lots of homework (i.e., reading tons of reviews) on the exact size and all you want. Here is what I ordered, and it has arrived. I am very pleased :D with the product as it is a much stronger unit than I thought it would be, and did live up to all its positive reviews on Amazon.com.
It's: BPA free, leakproof, 32 ounces, easy to carry and well made.

Amazon.com: Contigo 32-Ounce BPA Free Water Bottle with Autoseal Lid and Carabineer Clip, Gray: Kitchen & Dining

Really, this is the best bottle I could find...and I looked like crazy for the perfect one. Just IMHO.

Here's what you want.
- Stainless steel body
- No BPAs or other other plastics in contact with the water. The lid gasket is 100% natural cork (easily replaced).
- Insulated cover to keep drink cool. Wet cover to serve as evaporative cooler for beverage (not possible with modern neoprene covers)
- Comes with a handy clip for affixing to a specially made belt.*
*Other accessories available which may be handy for outdoor exercise in some urban locales.
- Includes tin cup for a post-workout latte'

ProdPhoto5992.jpg

This is my current favorite - it has a wide opening for easy pouring and cleaning, and the narrow one too which works well for my kids not spilling. Sigg had controversy because their old lining had BPA, but the new ones do not. I have heard the Klean Kanteen ones have some metallic taste as they are not lined, but I haven't tried so can't say myself. I also have the bpa free Nalgene which are also nice, but I would replace the plastic ones once a year or so.

Sigg Water Bottles - Red(which is actually Electric Pink)

FinanceDude: I just wanted to buy the same thing a couple weeks ago as a gift and did lots of homework (i.e., reading tons of reviews) on the exact size and all you want. Here is what I ordered, and it has arrived. I am very pleased :D with the product as it is a much stronger unit than I thought it would be, and did live up to all its positive reviews on Amazon.com.
It's: BPA free, leakproof, 32 ounces, easy to carry and well made.

Amazon.com: Contigo 32-Ounce BPA Free Water Bottle with Autoseal Lid and Carabineer Clip, Gray: Kitchen & Dining

Really, this is the best bottle I could find...and I looked like crazy for the perfect one. Just IMHO.

I meant to add dishwasher safe, also!:D

I'm not convinced that the regular old bike plastic bottles are unsafe. I'm amazed at how quickly the plastic bottle fear spread.

Are plastic bottles dangerous?

All of a sudden everyone had stainless steel containers, which have a major drawback: you can't squeeze them.

I'm not a developing fetus, and I don't heat the bottles. I just use the regular old bike bottles.

I went and ordered some of the Contigo bottles based upon what I read here and then reading some reviews. I went for the 24" ounce rather than the 32" ounce since I wanted a little smaller diameter.

I went and ordered some of the Contigo bottles based upon what I read here and then reading some reviews. I went for the 24" ounce rather than the 32" ounce since I wanted a little smaller diameter.

From what I read, the 32 oz. doesn't normally fit into the can holder in a car; however, I went back today and ordered the buy 3 get one free of the 32 oz. on amazon.com.

I figure I can put ice in them to keep water cold if I want, and can keep the rest of them filled in the fridge so they are cold when I pull them out. I'm trying to drink 3 of these a day = 12 glasses of water....then I'm strapping a Quick Johnny to my back for ez access.:LOL:

Yes I bought 4 because of the get one free. I was going to buy 3 anyway so it really was a free one.

I'm not convinced that the regular old bike plastic bottles are unsafe. I'm amazed at how quickly the plastic bottle fear spread.

My preference for stainless steel isn't because plastic is unsafe, it's because of taste. I don't like the taste from plastic. I prefer either glass or stainless steel.

I'm known as Mr Frugal in these parts. So I set out to find a cheap and I think superior solution for when traveling on Bike, Car, Foot, Golf Cart, or Whatever - I did an urinalysis of this dilemma on 4/19/2008 - [moderator edit]
Still working for me...2 years already seems like yesterday and it'll be 9 years in a couple months since I retired. that's a lot of water down the drain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a travel mug...

I bought a tuff mug a couple months ago:

Amazon.com: Zojirushi Tuff Mug in Stainless Steel: Home & Garden

I use it for cold and hot drinks. I had some iced tea in there the other day. I put the iced tea in at noon with two ice cubes. I forgot about it in my backpack and when I opened it up at 4pm the NEXT DAY, the ice cubes were still there, rather large. I throw it in my backpack with my books/laptop, it never leaks.

I went through several bottles before finding this one. It has to be imported from Japan so it will take a few days, but it's worth it. The other bottles with those complicated sipping tops are impossible to clean. After only a few weeks of use gunk starts to build up and you can't get it out. This things has a plain, wide screw-top so you can reach your whole hand in with a sponge to clean it out, and it's lined with glass so it imparts no flavors in your drink.

Can't say enough good things about it. Couldn't find anything like it in US stores. They're all either uninsulated, or have those fancy caps that you can't clean.

I just got his bottle for coffee and it rocks! Like the Zoji it keeps your drink piping hot for hours! I love it! The push-button open feature makes it easy (no opening and closing fuss) and it has a spring that keeps the lid open so it doesn't hit your face when you tip to drink - and it has a lock on it for travel.

Amazon.com: Thermos 16-Ounce Stainless Steel Backpack Bottle: Home & Garden

I notice they have a larger hydration bottle too...which I might decide I need...

Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 18-Ounce Stainless-Steel Hydration Bottle: Home & Garden

Back
Top Bottom