Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need a new computer chair..
Old 07-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need a new computer chair..

My 12 plus year old synthetic leather desk chair has suddenly started shedding like someone who has laid out in the Sun all day. There are pieces everywhere. So I'll ask if anyone has a chair they love and/or think is a pretty good value.

Doesn't have to be cheap since I'm 65 I'll pay for one that hopefully will last me as long as I want to sit in front of a monitor.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Steelcase, end of thread.

Seriously, my first mega-corp gave everyone Steelcase chairs (not cheap $500 - $2k) and I've never looked back. Bought 2 for the house even though I would've sworn I'd never pay that much for something like that. My first one is over 10 years old and still looks great and functions perfectly. I broke my back as a young adult and have some pins and screws in my spine so I'm sensitive to nice/proper seating.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
gone traveling

Aeron
I got 24 years out of the first one.
Now on 7th year of #2.
https://store.hermanmiller.com/offic...r/2195348.html
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am interested in this as well. I recently replaced mine with a more gaming oriented chair that I got on Amazon (a Ficmax). The chair was fine in many ways but the seat was a bit hard. It looked comfortable in the pics but wasn't very cushy.

DH had bought him a new office chair on Amazon (more expensive than mine) and it had a catastrophic failure (the pole holding the chair to the base broke while he was seated in it. Anyway - I gave him my Ficmax and went back to our old spare desk chair which one of our kids had used. It is OKish but very worn and I need to find a new one.

I am looking for arms, adjustable seat height and must be comfortable to sit in.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Aeron
I got 24 years out of the first one.
Now on 7th year of #2.
https://store.hermanmiller.com/offic...r/2195348.html
I bought one of these from a used office furniture store. Cleaned it up a little (it was dusty) and it looks/performs like new.

Oh, and it was ~$425 instead of ~$1250 new with all the options.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for Herman Miller. I have a Setu chair in one of my houses (style fit better than the rest). Great quality, extremely comfortable.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

When I worked for midi-corp about 20 years ago they were beta testing several new proposed cube layouts (enginerds!). I got to test option #6 which included an Aeron Chair. I called it "God's Own Chair" it was so comfortable.

I'm in the market as well, and I must have the same issue as the OP with a sudden snowstorm of "leather." Not sure I'm up to shelling out the money for a H-M or Steelcase. I guess I need someone to talk me into blowing that dough.

Edit to add: The Aeron chair comes in several sizes. If you get one too small, as I did with another employer, it will NOT be comfortable at all.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

My 20 year old Aeron is still good as new.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My close town of any size is around 15 thousand and I'm 2 hours from the twin cities, I feel like I need to sit in the chair particularly if it's a top of line spendy one.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
My close town of any size is around 15 thousand and I'm 2 hours from the twin cities, I feel like I need to sit in the chair particularly if it's a top of line spendy one.
Chair's have sizes. Get the proper one for your height.

I didn't know this until the Megacorp "chair Nazi's" were involved getting me a new chair.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Staples is a good store for trying the fit of your seat...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I use a really old computer chair that I've tried to replace several times but ending up not liking the potential replacements and going back to this old chair. The chair isn't comfortable, but haven't found a worthy replacement yet.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's an alternate idea that might work for some people. It did for me, anyway. I don't compute at a desk any more; ditched my desktop computer, and got a nice laptop instead.

So, instead of a computer chair, I sit in this wonderful, heavenly comfortable chair with my feet up. It is soooooo relaxing and nice. (Photo taken from the furniture store website.)

This works really well for me. I know you asked about a computer chair, though, so it may not be useful for your purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EasyChair.jpg (37.8 KB, 40 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #14

During my last few working years I had a chair made by Neutral Posture that was very comfortable and had a lot of adjustment possibilities. It may have been the 6000 or 8000 model. Neutral Posture - 8000 Series
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here's an alternate idea that might work for some people. It did for me, anyway. I don't compute at a desk any more; ditched my desktop computer, and got a nice laptop instead.

So, instead of a computer chair, I sit in this wonderful, heavenly comfortable chair with my feet up. It is soooooo relaxing and nice. (Photo taken from the furniture store website.)

This works really well for me. I know you asked about a computer chair, though, so it may not be useful for your purposes.
Just the other day I was wishing I could have a chair like that. Actually I was sitting in my leather recliner and wished that could be my desk chair. Alas, I do use a desk (corner desk) as I use two monitors. But I would so like to have a really comfortable chair.... (But not too expensive since I have cats who like to jump on my chairs).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently had the same issue with my desk chair. The faux leather on the seat started shedding. The chair is 7 years old. Since I find it very comfortable and still functional in all other respects, I decided to try to recover the seat. So I went to the yard goods store, bought a yard of vinyl upholstery fabric and went to work with my scissors and staple gun. In about a half hour with DW's help we had the seat recovered and the chair reassembled. Though probably not the neatest job on the seat bottom, the seat itself turned out quite well. It's like having a new chair, only better. Just $7 for the vinyl.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Staples is a good store for trying the fit of your seat...
Staples sells crap office chairs.
If you think a $200 chair is equal to a $800 chair, you are delusional.
Crap.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
You get what you pay for!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

You get what you pay for!

I still own the computer consulting company that I retired from, & we sell only chairs with top-notch ergonomics. My own chair isn't cheap, but I've used it since 2002, & there's no sign of wear. Check out https://www.humanscale.com/products/...irWithHeadrest

It does everything but give me a massage! We've probably sold 500 of them - all we have to do is have them sit in one for a few minutes, & watch them relax.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:13 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a nice samsonite high back chair at office max for $200. Not even on the same planet quality wise to a Herman Miller or similar. It fit my budget and I maybe spend 1 hr a week using it.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had a Haworth Zody chair for about 15 years. Extremely comfortable and well built. Price was about $900 15 years ago. Still about the same today depending on what model you get. It's very adjustable and I think it's still made in the USA. Definitely the most comfortable adjustable desk chair I have owned.