Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

had an Electrolux rolling cannister x 10 good years which was longer usable 3 y ago when the hose cracked beyond repair (yes, had already multiply repaired w/ duct tape, and then various more flexible medical/ surgical grade tapes). Motor still works great and it's the 4 yo's vacuum when he is helping vacuum wood dust piles in the garage. Unfortunately could not locate replacement hose.

Since then have had 2 Miele's. One smaller upright cannister that used in kitchen and utility (adjacent). The other is traditional rolling cannister that I use for wood floors and carpets/rugs. The latter has multiple heads and if we had wall to wall carpeting would work great too. I like the head that is gentle enough for wood floors and expensive carpets yet still w/ good suction. We bought from Best Vacuum. I asked for discount since buying multiple (also bought one for parents) which they gave. Bought Miele b/c get the impression if the hose useless in 10 y, I'll be able to get replacement.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.formerlyP.S. View Post
had an Electrolux rolling cannister x 10 good years which was longer usable 3 y ago when the hose cracked beyond repair (yes, had already multiply repaired w/ duct tape, and then various more flexible medical/ surgical grade tapes). Motor still works great and it's the 4 yo's vacuum when he is helping vacuum wood dust piles in the garage. Unfortunately could not locate replacement hose.
You can get spare parts for Electrolux but you have to call them directly (I've had to replace the turbo nozzle on mine).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought an upright, bagless Electrolux at Costco about 18 months ago. It's heavy, but we only use it in the basement, and frankly I think it does a better job than our central vac we use in the rest of the house. It's just too heavy to lug up & down the steps. I think it was about $120, with free shipping.

I found it on Amazon, and yow-wee did I ever get a deal by buying at Costco:

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux%C2%...d_sim_sbs_hg_2
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW bought a bagged Oreck at Costco three years ago.
I like how light it is and how good it cleans.
Not quite good as far as durability (I needed to replace few parts so far), but designed to be repaired easily and it has a good warranty.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd go with a Dyson any day if I had the choice. These vacuums last quite awhile which will end up saving you, especially since there is no bad needed. They are also really good vacuums and your home will be a lot cleaner because them. We used to use Dirt Devil which was pretty good, but when we broke down and bought a Dyson we never looked back.
Powor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.formerlyP.S. View Post
Did you check eBay? Electrolux Canister Vacuum Hose | eBay

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #27

We got a dyson about 2 years ago as we have a golden retriever. It has been great so far.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #28

Our Bissell Total Floors Velocity cost $135 and has lasted 5 years (as of 6/22/2013). Works fine for us, though we've always bought cheap vacuums. The Dyson would have to last well over 15 years to make it worthwhile, though I don't know what a typical cheap vacuum costs now.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

The current AARP Bulletin has a story about an $8000.00 vacuum. Members can read the story on the AARP website. Here's an article that explains.

Scammed | Broad Street Media

Might be worthwhile to read through the article, just for general info about scams.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have an Oreck which I would recommend. Mine has a 21 year warranty and I can take it in once a year to get a tune-up free of charge. The main benefit is that it is very light weight--I can carry it upstairs with one hand-- but powerful. I also bought a refurbished one for my son's apt. and it cost about $100.
Mariez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariez View Post
I have an Oreck which I would recommend. Mine has a 21 year warranty and I can take it in once a year to get a tune-up free of charge. The main benefit is that it is very light weight--I can carry it upstairs with one hand-- but powerful. I also bought a refurbished one for my son's apt. and it cost about $100.
My Oreck is older (6-7 years?) and still works great. We take it to the nearest Oreck dealer every 3-4 years for a tune up and belt replacement.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Kenmore rates very high....it has a feature that tells you when an area is done...ie where the dog has been hanging out....very good machine

Bob