Join Early Retirement Today

Need a new vacuum
Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need a new vacuum

Any good recommendations? The last one only lasted 2 years before the hose broke underneath. I was thinking Shark....but seems people either like em' or hate em'. Had a Dyson back in the UK....it was ok, but not worth the money. Upright bagless is what my wife wants again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have had good luck with two Dysons. Before that, all the other brands lasted only about 2 years, like you (one only lasted one year). Our first Dyson lasted about 5 years, so we bought another one last year. I did the math, and it came out close, either buying a Dyson every 5 years or the bargain brands every year or two. However, the Dyson picks up dog hair really well, much better than the others did, so that is a big plus for us.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I started a similar thread in Januatry

Anybody bought a vacuum cleaner lately?

Ended up with a Shark but would not recommend it.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

Disappointed- thanks, just looked at that. We have mostly laminate with a couple of throw rugs.....doesn't sound like the Dyson is a winner on flat surfaces. Think I might do some research into the Miele ones.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

We have a Hoover Windtunel with power drive. Guy I know has a vacuum cleaner sales/repair store. When we were in the market for a new vacuum, he told us to avoid the bagless type as they take more maintenance and are more prone to repairs. In talking to others in the past I think we made the right decision. I think this vacuum is in the $230 range. We have 90% tile flooring with area rugs so the adjustments are important. Hardwood floors, low-med-high pile carpet setting, power drive on/off are important to us. Comes with lots of attachments.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
gone traveling

We have been using the automatic vacuums (iRobot / Roomba) for about 5 or 6 years now. They are expensive but do a good job and are very quiet and automatic. Just touch one button and walk away while it cleans the room(s).
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller View Post
We have been using the automatic vacuums (iRobot / Roomba) for about 5 or 6 years now. They are expensive but do a good job and are very quiet and automatic. Just touch one button and walk away while it cleans the room(s).
Here are instructions on how to hack an iRobot Hacking Your iRobot
and Roomba Feature: Top 5 Roomba Hacks - TechEBlog

EDIT: I could not find the NSA Roomba hacks :-)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
I started a similar thread in Januatry

Anybody bought a vacuum cleaner lately?

Ended up with a Shark but would not recommend it.
Could you say why? I have one, and really like it- though I may not be a discriminating user.

Ha
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Shark Navigator Pro in January . I like it . Much easier to use than my Hoover . I have mostly wood floors with throw rugs and it does a great job . I also bought my daughter one and she likes hers. She has carpeting & pets .So far the suction is awesome .
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #10

We bought a Kirby somewhere around 1997 and wife still says it's great. It ought to be great, because they sure don't give them away! However, she mentioned a couple of days ago that she'd like to try a Dyson. Now...the Kirby still works, so I'm not sure what that's all about, & I didn't ask....lol. Anyhow, if wife wants a Dyson, I expect we'll be getting a Dyson. She knows who the boss is around here.....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #11

I often hear Dyson vacuum owners rave about how great the product is, yet every time I see a review in Consumer Reports, they claim the vacuum is either average or below average, and significantly overpriced relative to the competition. They've been dinging Dyson for years now. Has anyone figured out why the customers seem to love them so much and CR always puts them down? I've always wanted to try one out, but I keep pulling back after reading their reviews.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #12

Not made in the USA. CR seems to favor American manufacturers.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Not made in the USA. CR seems to favor American manufacturers.
Perhaps, but they rarely have anything good to say about American car manufacturers, and have consistently (for more than 30 years) favored Toyota and Volkswagen over Ford, GM and Chrysler. So I don't know that I see an overall bias toward American manufacturers.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Perhaps, but they rarely have anything good to say about American car manufacturers, and have consistently (for more than 30 years) favored Toyota and Volkswagen over Ford, GM and Chrysler. So I don't know that I see an overall bias toward American manufacturers.
+1

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Why Dyson?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #15

Why Dyson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I often hear Dyson vacuum owners rave about how great the product is, yet every time I see a review in Consumer Reports, they claim the vacuum is either average or below average, and significantly overpriced relative to the competition. They've been dinging Dyson for years now. Has anyone figured out why the customers seem to love them so much and CR always puts them down? I've always wanted to try one out, but I keep pulling back after reading their reviews.
I was skeptical about Dyson as well but we now have two and I like them both. There is a certain "coolness" about the design and I've grown to appreciate the bag-less design even though I understand you have to clean the filter every few months to prevent it from clogging which could lead to over heating the motor.

Dyson customer service is great, in my opinion. We had a hose break so I called the customer service number - amazing, a person who spoke English answered. She went ahead and registered our vacuum since I hadn't bothered and then sent out a new hose which we received the next day. Swapping the hose was a snap and we were back in business.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #16

We had a Dyson while we were in the UK....plenty of pets and rugs. At the moment we have a house with half the pets and almost no rugs. Dyson seems to get knocked by people as being not so great on hard floors. It was certainly better built than the one (granted....a lot cheaper) we have now.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

We have gone through several brands of vacuum cleaners since we always had pets while living in homes with lots of carpets. The Eurekas and Hoovers broke down within months (motor and/or chronic belt problems). But the Dyson (upright) and Electrolux (canister) are still working great after 5 years and 9 years respectively. The Dyson is best for carpets and the Electrolux is best for bare floors IMO. I am amazed at the amount of dirt the Dyson pulls out of seemingly clean carpets - more than any other vacuum I have ever owned.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I noticed today that Sam's Club is offering $80 off Dyson model DC41 starting on June 26...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1
+2.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you say why? I have one, and really like it- though I may not be a discriminating user.

Ha
Haha:

I feel that the canister is way too small which means that you may have to stop and empty it before you complete your task. The vacuum head is a bit too narrow not as efficient. I think it is more of a personal choice, I was using a windtunnel, more power, wider area coverage.