Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm back in business. Attached the new watch band today. The spring tool did make the job easier too, though I probably could have done it with a pocket knife or tiny screwdriver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch.jpg (578.5 KB, 9 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=rescueme;1168147]While I no longer wear a watch, I think there are two types who still do.

Those that really need the current time (i.e. runner).
Those that look at a watch as a piece of jewelery (e.g. Rolex).

I've had two fetishes in my life, watches and shoes. I'm the jewelry type. DW gave me a Rolex Submariner for our 25th wedding anniversary. I always wanted one and she knew it. That was in 1997 and it still looks like new today. I like it to this day and love her for gifting it to me. We won't talk about shoes. We both have a thing about being on time. First of all, we are never late for an appointment. It drives us both nuts if someone else is late. Those that think it's fashionable to be late are wrong. It's rude.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=JOHNNIE36;1171441]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
While I no longer wear a watch, I think there are two types who still do.

Those that really need the current time (i.e. runner).
Those that look at a watch as a piece of jewelery (e.g. Rolex).

I've had two fetishes in my life, watches and shoes. I'm the jewelry type. DW gave me a Rolex Submariner for our 25th wedding anniversary. I always wanted one and she knew it. That was in 1997 and it still looks like new today. I like it to this day and love her for gifting it to me. We won't talk about shoes. We both have a thing about being on time. First of all, we are never late for an appointment. It drives us both nuts if someone else is late. Those that think it's fashionable to be late are wrong. It's rude.
We've become disenchanted with Rolex over the last decade or so since their repair / maintenance service charges have become exorbitant and the work often unsatisfactory.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #44
gone traveling

[QUOTE=justplainbll;1171524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
We've become disenchanted with Rolex over the last decade or so since their repair / maintenance service charges have become exorbitant and the work often unsatisfactory.
If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford to buy/replace it with another ...

I wanted to purchase one the last time we were in Switzerland but DW gave me the "evil eye" when she saw the pricetag of the one I was interested in.

I said, "the Rolex, or nothing" (that's why I wear nothing )...
Old 03-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=rescueme;1171534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
If you can afford a Rolex, you can afford to buy/replace it with another ...

I wanted to purchase one the last time we were in Switzerland but DW gave me the "evil eye" when she saw the pricetag of the one I was interested in.

I said, "the Rolex, or nothing" (that's why I wear nothing )...
I've gotten better service out of my Omega which is decades older than my Rolex. A Rolex was once considered a lifetime investment and commanded a premium for their reliability and durability. I like to buy stuff that lasts but it looks like I'll have to succumb to the modern throw away mentality. Last year I replaced my wife's Rolex with a Citizen ecodrive. My Omega Constellation with a Speidel twistoflex is my polite company watch and I use the Rolex with a tritium face for outdoor sports.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #46

I agree with the posts regarding Rolex being overrated. I like mine and they always look good but are they worth the price? No. Same goes for any very expensive watch. I can't understand why something that costs so much has to be serviced every five years (recommended). I have mine serviced every seven years through a jeweler friend of mine for $350. Normal cost is $550. That's the part I don't get. I still have a Seiko that DW got me about 35 years ago and it still runs and looks good. It was about $200 back then so it was a decent timepiece. No service charges except new battery when it goes dead.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

With the CHF trading at about $1.09 it's no small wonder that the cost of Swiss merchandise is prohibitive to Yanks. I bought my Rolex when the Swiss Franc was under 50.
For comparison purposes, during the same time frame, the JPY went from 0.42 to 1.25
Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

In less than one year, I already need a new band as the one I got is fraying.

So I went ahead and ordered a replacement (different model than previously).

At least I'll be putting that spring tool to good use.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #49

Bought my Rollex at 2AM in the morning in North Station in Boston in 1956, where I was sleeping. Girl friend , (now bride), had to be back to her dorm by 10PM. It was too cold to sleep on the banks of the Charles, where I was used to staying over when I came down from my Maine college for a date.

Anyway, the guy had on a huge great coat, which made him look like a very fat Alfred Hitchcock... Wonder of wonders, when he opened the coat, pinned to the inside from to to bottom, were at least 100 watches. which he indicated might be "hot"... Including the Rol(l)ex that he sold to me for the incredible price of $5. (it had a band, too).

How could I lose?... It had a lifetime guarantee, so if anything went wrong, I could send it back to the factory to be repaired.
.................................................. ...............

Anyway... haven't worn a watch since last day of work in 1989... Find great joy in offering to buy a clock for the TarJay stores which don't allow them.
.................................................. ...............

"Crowdsource" love it!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Going on year 4 for my hundred buck Casio. The Rado and the Breitling live in DW's jewelery box more or less permanently.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hunt and fish a lot. My watch also gives sunrise/sunset times, the daily solunar table, where the moon is and the phase, as well as just the time. All this is important to me. No way would I want to carry a bulky phone with the apps to make life more complicated. I would just destroy one of those things...

Some cranky answers could be attributed to moon phase....
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've always been a watch wearer. As a kid, I liked having a chrono stopwatch to time stuff. Even silly stuff like how long I can hold my breath . While w*rking, all I needed was one with a big hand and little hand to know how many hours untill quitting time in the afternoon. Now, in FIRE, I'm back to a chrono type.

I really like my main watch:

Amazon.com: Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Casio: Watches

It's nice to have a 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer right on my wrist.
I bought this puppy a few months ago. Pretty happy so far.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I bought this puppy a few months ago. Pretty happy so far.
Glad you llike it.

Today, I'm using the countdown timer and have it counting down since this morning for 15 hours.

I'm waiting for a program on the radio at midnight, but may forget without the timer.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #54

I've never had much luck with watches. I seem to smash them into everything and make a mess. I have one rolex (long story) that I wore for many years. It finally crapped out and I put it in the draw. I bought another Rolex and thought it too nice to wear so I put that one away also. My DS bought me a nice watch for my 60th a few years ago and that stopped working 2 weeks ago. Since DW talked me into getting an Iphone a few months ago I now use that as my watch. After all, I really don't have to be anywhere except for the damn Dr.s appts that litter my calander. But one feature on the Iphone I use is the feature that alerts me when I have the Dr. appts., pretty neat.

The Rolex watch is a funny thing, it cost a bunch of money and has to be rebuilt every 3 years according to the factory. The salespeople from Rolex have a great line, they say you have to tune up your car so why not your watch. Really! I took DW's rolex in for the said tune up a few months ago, $975 to get it running again, I must be nuts, what a great scam they have.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #55

I stopped wearing a watch when I retired. Having missed wearing one. DW has tried to make me wear one while we are travelling, but usually I forget to bring one.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I've never had much luck with watches. I seem to smash them into everything and make a mess. I have one rolex (long story) that I wore for many years. It finally crapped out and I put it in the draw. I bought another Rolex and thought it too nice to wear so I put that one away also.
F seldom wears his Rolex, even though it does him no good just sitting there. Maybe he will sell it some day. Meanwhile he prefers an older Swiss watch that he has, which is also a little high end but not ostentatious. I do not remember the brand.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

My watch is on probation:

Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

Like many of the Amazon reviewers, this watch is resetting itself (twice in 24 hours).

1 more strike, and I'll be shopping for another model.

I already have a couple in mind...
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Watch? Doesn't your cell phone have a time display?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I like the handy countdown timer and stopwatch, plus just turning my wrist to see the time.

Two models I'm looking at:

#1) but I really don't need a moon or tide level reading

Casio Men's WS210H-1AVCF Tough Solar Powered Tide and Moon Digital Sport Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

#2) unique. It's batteryless, but no backlight

Casio Men's AL190W-1 Solar Digital Watch: Watches: Amazon.com
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like the handy countdown timer and stopwatch...
Cell phones have that feature.
Quote:
...plus just turning my wrist to see the time.
You're retired and you don't have time to reach in your pocket an pull out your phone?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote