Join Early Retirement Today

Need a New Watch Band
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Need a New Watch Band

My sport watchband snapped in half as I took it off. It's made out of that polyurethane type material and only lasted slightly more than one year.

I went ahead and bought a cheapo replacement at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Voguestrap TX16G13 Allstrap 16mm Black Regular-Length Fits Casio Sport and Diver Watchband: Watches

With Amazon Prime, it should arrive by Saturday.

I do have a backup watch as I feel naked without one.

Hopefully playing around with those springs won't be too difficult with my old eyes
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just replaced the bands on 2 of my watches (I also bought the replacement bands on Amazon). A tool like this one makes working with those tiny spring bars much easier:

Amazon.com: Spring Bar Remover. Tool Has a Hexagonal Black Bakelite Handle, Graduated in Millimeters/inch for Measuring Distance Between Lugs Tips Are Threaded for Easy Replacements: Jewelry
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
Administrator

Why do you need a watch? It's not like you will be late to a meeting or something...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have heard that watches are becoming passe among 20 somethings who rely on phones. I like to have a watch, needed or not.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I took my watch and amazon purchased band to a storefront jeweler because I didn't want to deal with the springs myself. She only charged me $1.00 to replace it.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Why do you need a watch? It's not like you will be late to a meeting or something...
Many people are BUSY in retirement. Have the retirement schedules to keep. Old habits are hard to break. Watch bands are easier.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Many people are BUSY in retirement. Have the retirement schedules to keep. Old habits are hard to break. Watch bands are easier.
Yes, people are BUSY and my comment was just being playful. My cell phone displays the time. Still, there are few occasions even in my busy life where a watch is needed. I use my father's pocket watch with a chain on formal occasions.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Yes, people are BUSY and my comment was just being playful. My cell phone displays the time. Still, there are few occasions even in my busy life where a watch is needed. I use my father's pocket watch with a chain on formal occasions.
A playful reminder to smell the flowers. I need a reminder like that once in a while.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven't worn a watch for years, while working or now while retired. Since I have my cell phone with me at all times, why do I need a watch. There are clocks everywhere anyway. I have a pile of watches on my dresser, I will probably sell the ones of value on eBay, I've already pitched the cheap ones. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I just replaced the bands on 2 of my watches (I also bought the replacement bands on Amazon). A tool like this one makes working with those tiny spring bars much easier:

Amazon.com: Spring Bar Remover. Tool Has a Hexagonal Black Bakelite Handle, Graduated in Millimeters/inch for Measuring Distance Between Lugs Tips Are Threaded for Easy Replacements: Jewelry

Thanks for the tip. I ordered one (love Amazon Prime):

Amazon.com: SE 6" Spring Bar Tool: Everything Else

Hopefully, it'll prevent me from cussing while doing the band change.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
I took my watch and amazon purchased band to a storefront jeweler because I didn't want to deal with the springs myself. She only charged me $1.00 to replace it.
I had this very same thought. If I got to a jeweler, then I don't have to monkey around with the springs. I decided to just do it myself (with the proper tool) as I figure this can be a recurring event a year a two. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've always been a watch wearer. As a kid, I liked having a chrono stopwatch to time stuff. Even silly stuff like how long I can hold my breath . While w*rking, all I needed was one with a big hand and little hand to know how many hours untill quitting time in the afternoon. Now, in FIRE, I'm back to a chrono type.

I really like my main watch:

Amazon.com: Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Casio: Watches

It's nice to have a 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer right on my wrist.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I have heard that watches are becoming passe among 20 somethings who rely on phones.
Very true, but with a watch the time is only a second away, and I always know where it is. I don't have my cell phone while watching TV, and it isn't handy to pull out when on my bike. I also use my watch (datalink) to time things or set a reminder -- much faster than with a cell.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I do carry a phone with me at all times and I don't have to go anywhere fast, so I don't need a watch. But I still like to wear a watch.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I do carry a phone with me at all times and I don't have to go anywhere fast, so I don't need a watch. But I still like to wear a watch.
And the second question is, why the need to carry that phone everywhere
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I will be the first on this thread to admit this:

I don't really USE my watch in retirement much at all, but I am so used to having it on my wrist that I need to have it there! I would feel naked and alone without a watch on my wrist.

I seldom if ever look at my iPhone for the time, date, or day of the week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I've always been a watch wearer. As a kid, I liked having a chrono stopwatch to time stuff. Even silly stuff like how long I can hold my breath . While w*rking, all I needed was one with a big hand and little hand to know how many hours untill quitting time in the afternoon. Now, in FIRE, I'm back to a chrono type.

I really like my main watch:

Amazon.com: Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Casio: Watches

It's nice to have a 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer right on my wrist.
Looks good. Now I know what to tell DW to get me for my birthday.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When my watch band broke, I bought a broken watch at a garage sale for ten cents that had the same sized watchband...
Old 03-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When my watch band broke, I bought a broken watch at a garage sale for ten cents that had the same sized watchband...
Good idea. I didn't even think of that . Will have to remember that for next time.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Looks good. Now I know what to tell DW to get me for my birthday.
I really like it. Even more than my Casio G-Shock solar.

That's what I'm using now while I await the new band in the mail.