Need a New Watch Band

I hunt and fish a lot. My watch also gives sunrise/sunset times, the daily solunar table, where the moon is and the phase, as well as just the time. All this is important to me. No way would I want to carry a bulky phone with the apps to make life more complicated. I would just destroy one of those things...

Some cranky answers could be attributed to moon phase....

Last edited:
I've always been a watch wearer. As a kid, I liked having a chrono stopwatch to time stuff. Even silly stuff like how long I can hold my breath :LOL:. While w*rking, all I needed was one with a big hand and little hand to know how many hours untill quitting time in the afternoon. Now, in FIRE, I'm back to a chrono type.

I really like my main watch:

Amazon.com: Casio Men's WL500-1A Tough Solar Digital Sports Watch: Casio: Watches

It's nice to have a 24 hr stopwatch and countdown timer right on my wrist.

I bought this puppy a few months ago. Pretty happy so far.

I bought this puppy a few months ago. Pretty happy so far.

Glad you llike it. :)

Today, I'm using the countdown timer and have it counting down since this morning for 15 hours.

I'm waiting for a program on the radio at midnight, but may forget without the timer.

I've never had much luck with watches. I seem to smash them into everything and make a mess. I have one rolex (long story) that I wore for many years. It finally crapped out and I put it in the draw. I bought another Rolex and thought it too nice to wear so I put that one away also. My DS bought me a nice watch for my 60th a few years ago and that stopped working 2 weeks ago. Since DW talked me into getting an Iphone a few months ago I now use that as my watch. After all, I really don't have to be anywhere except for the damn Dr.s appts that litter my calander. But one feature on the Iphone I use is the feature that alerts me when I have the Dr. appts., pretty neat.

The Rolex watch is a funny thing, it cost a bunch of money and has to be rebuilt every 3 years according to the factory. The salespeople from Rolex have a great line, they say you have to tune up your car so why not your watch. Really! I took DW's rolex in for the said tune up a few months ago, $975 to get it running again, I must be nuts, what a great scam they have.

I stopped wearing a watch when I retired. Having missed wearing one. DW has tried to make me wear one while we are travelling, but usually I forget to bring one.

I've never had much luck with watches. I seem to smash them into everything and make a mess. I have one rolex (long story) that I wore for many years. It finally crapped out and I put it in the draw. I bought another Rolex and thought it too nice to wear so I put that one away also.

F seldom wears his Rolex, even though it does him no good just sitting there. Maybe he will sell it some day. Meanwhile he prefers an older Swiss watch that he has, which is also a little high end but not ostentatious. I do not remember the brand.

Cell phones have that feature.

You're retired and you don't have time to reach in your pocket an pull out your phone? :cool:

Hey, I have a watch and a SPARE watch these days (my Timex, now that I am wearing the watch part of my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor). And I am retired, too. Retired people deserve watches too! :2funny: (just kidding around)

Cell phones have that feature.

You're retired and you don't have time to reach in your pocket an pull out your phone? :cool:

I'm one of those rare folks who don't cuddle with a smart phone as I lay in bed :LOL:

I kind of like that battery-less one. But each time I want to check the time in the dark (like in a theater), that would bug me since it doesn't have a light. Other than that, the features and simplicity is all I really need.

Oops, sorry. I didn't realize you were using the stopwatch in bed.

You'd be surprised at what kinds of things to time with a stopwatch :)

My watch failed probation last night. :mad:

Now I gotta decide on a new one to get.

A stopwatch in the bedroom?...."Gosh, darn, two minutes again!" :LOL:

I think it's clear that this purchase is coming out of the "entertainment" budget and not the "useful retirement tools" budget...

I pretended this purchase was a freebie and splurged not assigning a budget category.

Instead, I cheated by using my Amazon Chase Visa card cashback points :D

The watch arrives tomorrow. :D

In preparation, I added hooks to my home built antenna so I can charge the watch up by the sun.

Picture shows hanging solar flashlights :rolleyes:

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 9
Everything Old is New Again

Got my new watch.

It's all charged up and working like a charm. In fact, the retro style is a successor to one developed in 1987.

Best part...it's batteryless :)

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 2
I've carried a Victorinox pocket watch for many years. I'm one of those people who seems to stop a wrist watch; I've had many over the years and they all quit working after about 6 months. The building I w*rked in was High Energy Magnetic Pulse shielded and no cameras allowed so using a cell phone was out. The pocket watch worked very well and only gains about 10 seconds per month.

As for now, I'm still keeping my solar watch that was not functioning properly in the first place. I've decide to do some record keeping and log how many times the watch resets itself. So far since when I bought the new watch, which was a few days ago,.. zero times :blush:

Back
Top Bottom